Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox and Smart Telecom

Options
  • 12-10-2011 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hey :)

As the title says are they a good combination ^^ It's the only choice I have when moving into my new place so I'm just wondering does anyone else out there use smart and play the xbox. Also what is the SkyTV like, is there much latency on smart.

My housemate would be playing online games on his pc at the same time as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi tom_ass19, as you can appreciate every review would be based on personal experience with SMART, but as i am a smart customer (and i have to say a very happy one for many years) my review of the company would have to be very positive indeed, and as for the xbox side of things my son uses this function and has never said anything but good things about his set up, i believe the term he uses is his connection is "BEAST" whatever that means :), but i can assure you it is positive and very stable as far as he is concerned, but as i said earlier this is our experience with smart telecom, nothing but positive, hopefully others will share their views with you either good or bad.
    I hope this helps in some way.
    good luck,

apophis :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

tom_ass19 wrote: »
    Hey :)

As the title says are they a good combination ^^ It's the only choice I have when moving into my new place so I'm just wondering does anyone else out there use smart and play the xbox.
    #
    I am currently using SMart Telecom in Dundalk. Service is pretty good now. At the start I was told I could get 10MB on my line but I had major issues for about a month and was finally told the max my line could handle was 5MB. As soon as I got moved onto the 5MB package my connection was much more stable.
    Since then I have never had an issue playing on xbox live (COD:Black ops, fifa11 and GTAV), ping times always seem decent and rarely see any lag...

As for this question
    Also what is the SkyTV like, is there much latency on smart.
    I'm not sure what you are referring to here: Sky do not provide broadband in ireland.....If you mean the Smart IPTV solution then I cant comment on that cos I have Sky for my TV but I've heard its nowhere near as good as UPC or Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I was on about the watching SkyTV through the xbox ^^ The little application they have there, I guess you don't use it since you have sky tv seperate.

Cheers though :)

i have tried...yeah it works...no issues with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I was on about the watching SkyTV through the xbox ^^ The little application they have there, I guess you don't use it since you have sky tv seperate.

Cheers though :)

Ive tried it. Im on 25MB UPC line though.

Generally no issues. You dont get all the channels on it. My mother has sky at her house. I have UPC but no UPC in my room :) so i use Xbox to stream sky in my bedroom :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Smart Telecom here in Limerick for the last five years, (yep, stayed with them even through the whole "smart telecom going bust" debacle a few years back), but im on their 10MB package for €40 a month, and even though people have suggested im "mad" not to go with UPC and their 100MB broadband for €55 per month, im in the IT busuiness and for me, the utmost importance over "speed" is a stable connection. and smart telecom for me has been just "it works, i dont even notice any more", whereas i know if i was to go with UPC i'd be constantly router watching and constant headaches with contention and connection issues.

As for the Sky app on the XBOX, again, it's grand, it works as advertised, though to get the most out of it, i imagine you'd need a couple of friends all online at the same time and all into sports, to enjoy the "theater mode", where basicially your avatar does all these little emoticon actions and you can chat over xbox live. like i said, the connection just works, so you just choose a program to watch, and its the very same quality as if you're watching tv, then again the same could be said for the RTE player, etc.

i have my laptop hooked up to my 42" HD tv, so i used catch up on episodes of 24, although they're probably showing fringe on it now, i havent bothered with xbox live, which is another requirement for the sky on xbox app.

on a sidenote though, will sky not be ending support for this soon? i think i remember reading somewhere that they have decided to end the sky app for windows media center, maybe im relating the two seeing as i also use the xbox as a WMC extender.

Perfect!

Thanks everyone for all your replies, it's much appreciated!

Just another quick question. The last time I tried to get smart I had to activate the eircom line since it was deactivated, they said I couldn't change to smart as I had to stay with eircom for 6 months.

If it's the same case again when I have the eircom line setup will I just ring smart then to transfer it or do I have to wait the 6months till I can trasnfer it to smart?

Cheers,
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

hmm, this one's a bit tougher Tom, i haven't had to set up broadband for a customer in a while, but the last time i came across this, eircom as you say wanted to do the whole six months with eircom even though the customer wanted smart telecom, (who told me that eircom had to reactivate the line first as they couldnt do it from their end), so i think they were about to go for it until i suggested we try the new [EMAIL="Vodafone@home"]Vodafone@home[/EMAIL], which was only recently out. when i called vodafone, they said they could reactivate an eircom line that had been disconnected for years, so no question the customer went with 7MB vodafone DSL broadband (i say DSL broadband so as not to confuse with the awful ****e that is "mobile" broadband), and to date so far anyway they've no complaints.

best thing to do would be to call smart telecom first on 1890 945 300 and ask them first before you go near eircom. failing that, call digiweb, dont have their number off hand, but they should be practically same as smart telecom, for DSL broadband anyway at least, since it was digiweb that took over smart telecom when they got in trouble, but smart telecom seems to remain a separate company identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I have SMART 10MB and never 1 problem, 1:1 contention ratio. cant argue with that :)

Perfect!

Thanks everyone for all your replies, it's much appreciated!

Just another quick question. The last time I tried to get smart I had to activate the eircom line since it was deactivated, they said I couldn't change to smart as I had to stay with eircom for 6 months.

If it's the same case again when I have the eircom line setup will I just ring smart then to transfer it or do I have to wait the 6months till I can trasnfer it to smart?

Cheers,
    Tom

My line was de-active when I moved into the house. I just called smart and they re-activated it for free once I agreed to a 12 month contract...

• Advertisement

neacy69 wrote: »
    My line was de-active when I moved into the house. I just called smart and they re-activated it for free once I agreed to a 12 month contract...

It must have changed so since I did it last, would have been 3 years ago by now. Thanks again for all the info :)

Advertisement