Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Year old sleep walking

Options
  • 12-10-2011 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭

Putting this up for a friend.

He has twin girls (2), and one of them has recently started sleep walking. She's going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, taking off her pull up, getting up onto the toilet, doing her business and then getting a new pull up to put on.

She then lies down on the floor and goes back 'asleep'.

It's not that she's waking up and going to the toilet and falling asleep on the way back (which is what they initially thought was happening )because both parents have witnessed her doing it (they wake up when they hear the toilet flushing and go to her) but the child doesn't acknowledge them at all - looks straight through them if that makes sense.

Has anyone any experience of this? The worry here is that the child might fall off the toilet and hurt herself.

A sleeping bag was suggested but it's a tough job getting the child to go to sleep as it is without adding a sleeping bag into the equation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Could they lift her a bit earlier than when she usually does this and put her on the toilet themselves? She obviously needs to go if she's doing her business in the middle of the night and a sleeping bag might cause accidents etc that could be a set back to toilet training for her in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

That's a really good idea.

So they'd probably need to set an alarm to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Well, is there a set pattern to when she usually gets up to do it? Like is it usually around 2/3am or can it be different times?

I'd just lift her before we headed to bed myself (around 12am) if she doesn't do it before then... no need for an alarm then.

Good idea. I'll get them to try that and see if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Totally agree with January..if she is actually going for a wee during her sleepwalk, her body needs to. So have them check the time, watch how much she drinks near bed time.. if she isn't her wee, there maybe something more..

I can imagine a little one curled up on the floor! Fair play to her to getting her pull up changed, even when asleep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I am 34 and have been a sleep walker forever. Havent once hurt myself either.
    I don't know why I did it as a child because I had the most average, happy out, general kind of childhood. As an adult it was at times of stress that it would (usually) kick back in again i.e. Leaving Cert, finals at college, interviews, etc.
    Once I even managed to have a shower, wash my hair, get dressed, tie my school tie, set the table for breakfast and get everyone up........turns out it was 3.30am and I was NOT popular:o...

Your friend could try what other people have suggested and see how it goes, chance are though that the child is quite simply a sleep walker.

I'm a sleep walker myself but I could shed no light on it. Hence why I came here :)

I'll say to them about bringing her to the toilet before they go to bed. I can see this ending up in tears though as the child is difficult when they put her to bed in the first place.

Advertisement