Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSc in Comp Sci + Secondary School teaching

• 12-10-2011 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

I have an MSc in Computer Science from UCD and technically meet the requirements for doing a PGradDip for seconday school teaching because Statistics was my minor in my primary degree (its doesnt recognise the comp sci aspect of my degree).

However on the teaching council of Ireland website it lists the requirments for teaching each subject and I dont qualify to teach any of the subjects. I did maths to 2nd year in college but it requires minimum 3 years to teach it. No subjects require statistics (even though it is listed as a qualifying subject on a BSc) and none require CompScience. I did Physics and Chemistry for 1 year in college which isnt enough to teach those.

Is there any point in my applying to do the PGradDip? Anyone been in similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

There is another thread here on how to qualify to teach maths if you only have one year of maths in your degree so look at that and you can possibly do modules of maths through the OU and get qualified in maths.
    I would imagine the same is possible in both Physics and Chemistry but if you contact the teaching council in Maynooth they can tell you what exactly you need to do to get qualified in these subjects....It wont be a fast fix but you def can get qualified (expensive though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Thanks a mil for pointing me in the direction of this thread, it is very helpful and gives me hope that I can manage to qualify for teaching maths and possibly Physics too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056306696&page=5

Its actually very encouraging that the standards are so high.

Although I suspect in practice they do not enforce these minimum requirements considering the current debate ongoing about how many maths teachers currently teaching are not fully qualified to do so....but thats another topic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

homeOwner wrote: »
    Thanks a mil for pointing me in the direction of this thread, it is very helpful and gives me hope that I can manage to qualify for teaching maths and possibly Physics too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056306696&page=5

Its actually very encouraging that the standards are so high.

Although I suspect in practice they do not enforce these minimum requirements considering the current debate ongoing about how many maths teachers currently teaching are not fully qualified to do so....but thats another topic!

Well minimum requirements are enforced. You won't get onto the PGDE without a teaching subject, and you won't be able to register with the Teaching Council without a teaching subject. The discrepancy is in schools where teachers are given maths classes when they might have maths in their degree like yourself but don't have a formal qualification in it. But to get a job you will need the formal qualification. Also, don't believe everything printed about maths teachers and their qualifications. Depending on what you read you will find anything between 0 and 50% of teachers currently teaching maths are unqualified.

Advertisement