Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-tenanted house and PRTB

Options
  • 12-10-2011 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hello all,
    I rent my old house to three individuals who each have signed up to a year's rental, separately.
    I have registered with the PRTB. However, if someone moves out and is replaced by another, I assume I have to notify the PRTB. Do i have to pay the fee each time?
    Also, do I have to pay a fee each year, even if the same tenants are in the house?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

donegal100 wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I rent my old house to three individuals who each have signed up to a year's rental, separately.
    I have registered with the PRTB. However, if someone moves out and is replaced by another, I assume I have to notify the PRTB. Do i have to pay the fee each time?
    Also, do I have to pay a fee each year, even if the same tenants are in the house?
    Thanks for any advice.

If each signed up for room rental you shouldn't have paid at all. A room is not a dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You register the tenancy, you don't need to do annual registrations. Assuming only one change, you simply doa change of details, not a re-registration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showpost.php?p=1136877&postcount=4
    On the facts agreed by the Parties the Tenant was not entitled to occupation of a “self-contained residential unit”.

Under the agreement entered into in December 2003 the Tenant is merely entitled to exclusive occupation of one bedroom and he shares other facilities including the kitchen, bathroom facilities and reception area facilities with other occupants.

The Landlord was of the view that the Tenant was not entitled to put a new lock onto the bedroom door. The Tenant contested this.

It is clear from the evidence that the letting does not come within the definition of “dwelling” as set out in section 4 of the Act of 2004. The shared facilities afforded to the Tenant could not be considered to be a “bed-sit” or any other form of “self-contained residential unit”.

this is interpreted as meaning the PRTB has no jursdiction in this type of rental so you do not need to follow their rules

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Victor wrote: »
    You register the tenancy, you don't need to do annual registrations. Assuming only one change, you simply doa change of details, not a re-registration.

there isn't one tenancy in thsi case. there are three separate tenancies. When someone leaves that tenancy ends. If they were all on the same lease it would be different.
    However if each is only the tenant of a bedroom, then none of the tenancies need be registered.

Advertisement