Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watered Petrol

Options
  • 12-10-2011 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have been getting petrol from the same garage for months now, on Monday evening my car was very sluggish & was losing power when I was going uphill.

I took it to a mechanic & he said that there was an excess of water in my petrol tank. Has anyone else had this problem with petrol?

The garage in question only sells fuel and is on the outskirts of Letterkenny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How did he determine the amount of water in the petrol?
    Did replacing the petrol help?
    Did you speak to the garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i'm sure a small sample could be removed from the tank and left to settle, you would then see the amount of water to petrol as the water would sink. to bottom. The lower the split level the better?

or would i be completly wrong?

i'd def talk to the garage though and get them to test. it could be an innocent mistake or it could be the suppliers that are to blame

edit:

oh right you can buy commercial kits for testing

http://www.ehow.com/how_6085984_tell-water-fuel.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wxy123

I had the garage drain the water from the tank and now my car is going perfectly.

in that case i'd def have a word with the garage. you'd hope it was a mistake but you can never be sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wxy123

Since this has happened i have spoken to a few people who have had certain doubts in relation to fuel received from this garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Duster

Any chance of naming this place ??

Or at least saying roughly which end of town it is in ?

i wouldn't name and shame just yet. It might not be the garages fault entirely.

I'm assuming they should run random tests on the fuel they get but maybe not. They could be completly innocent of any wrong doing and it could be the supplier.

If you talk to the garage and they say that its fine or get really defensive then they probably are up to no good and you could probably name and shame

If though they are shocked and take action then fair play to them and i'd leave their name out of it.

innocent until guilty and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Duster wrote: »
    Any chance of naming this place ??

Or at least saying roughly which end of town it is in ?

No we won't be, things like these can end up in court very handy and we don't want to end up taking the stand over something someone says on here!

Anyways, just out of curiousity how old is the car OP if your car is over 10 years old it could just be a case of it building up over the years. I know of a good few cars who have had to get fuel tanks drained and even replaced in one instance because of water in the tank! It could be the supplier to the garage or even the garage themselves but TBH I really doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

It could be an innocent mistake as others have said. Especially if the petrol is stored in underground tanks.

Happened in a garage I used to work,where the tanks were underground and the seals broke on one of the tanks. Add heavy rain to this and water seeped into the tanks.

We only copped on when a car failed to start on the forecourt, got it sorted in a day then.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

all vehicles have a certain degree of water in their tank, caused by condensation. plain and simple.

most large diesel lorries, tractors and machines have a water trap filter on them to cure this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

My car conked out after running very sluggish and i had just filled up at a premises on the outskirts of lk took it to a garage and they said timing belt right away without opening the bonnet but i had my suspicions about the fuel. This thread has just confirmed the whole shebang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

cosanostra wrote: »
    My car conked out after running very sluggish and i had just filled up at a premises on the outskirts of lk took it to a garage and they said timing belt right away without opening the bonnet but i had my suspicions about the fuel. This thread has just confirmed the whole shebang

So did they check the fuel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Unless someone comes up with Evidence that they have got watered down fuel at "a garage" on the outskirts of letterkenny this thread shall remain closed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement