Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skincare Regime - What do you use?

• 12-10-2011 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm 25 and think it's time I invested a bit more time/money in my skincare routine. I'm starting to get a few lines under the eyes. Just not sure what to go for. Was thinking of something along the lines of dermalogica, or are the high street products as good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

I'm pretty much the same as you so would be interested to hear any replies.

Can I add one further question though if you don't mind: why is expensive skincare better than cheaper stuff? Are there certain ingredients people look for or do you just trust the high end brands. With makeup the results are instant so I don't mind paying more for that but with skincare I don't what's worth it and what's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I've tried quite a few pharmacy skin care products, a boots range one, clean and clear, olay, simple and neutrogena to name but a few. Oh and the body shop seaweed range also. I don't know if it's cos my skin changed, but I did find that they weren't as moisutrising as I'd have liked and I was getting lots of spots and dry patches. I tried the Clinique 3 step for my skin type and it is definitely doing wonders for me. Now I don't know if that's cos it's dearer, maybe there is a comparable pharmacy brand one, but all I know is that Clinique is working for me and I'm dreading running out :)

I remember reading an article on Ben Goldacre's Bad Science book that talked about the claims various skin care products make. He basically said that for two high end products claiming to do the same thing, you can bet there's no difference between them. But he did say they were marginally better quality than the cheaper ones.

Just on the lines around the eyes - maybe you could try an eye cream instead of changing your whole skincare regime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Nothing fancy for me. Using a Neutrogena facial wash at the moment and Astral moisturiser. Getting a few lines under the eyes too, but i think its just an age thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I use the No. 7 Hot Cloth cleanser and I really like it. It's just a cream which you rub into your skin (you can rub it into a full face of make up and it takes off every lil bit!) and then you wet the cloth (which comes with it) with warm/hot water and use that to clean your face. Then I rinse the cloth under cold water and use it to close my pores. Really like it.

Moisturiser-wise, I haven't found one that I love yet so I'm always chopping and changing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

I personally swear by dermalogica. I've been using it for about 3 months and the bottle of foaming cleanser and moisturiser have lasted me and they're just about to run out and I use them twice a day religiously, if not three times!! Now I bought mine because I have problem skin but the dermalogica is helping to clear it up. Take a trip to a beautician who does the face mapping and they will recommend what you need. Mine tried to sell me everything under the sun, but I made her aware that I had a very limited budget so she told me those were the two to get to really make a difference.

Now, I've also used every cheaper brand of skincare under the sun and none of them have made the difference that dermalogica has.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I used to use a whole of Lush products on my face but then I had to cut back on my spending and couldn't afford them any more. They really worked for me, but recently I went back to the old routine of yore, Silcocks base to remove make up, St Ives scrub to exfoliate, and astral moisturiser. My make up looks fab when applied over the astral! I only need a little amount though or it can look greasey. If after half an hour I can still feel it on my face I just wipe my skin with a dry cotton pad. My skin was never bad, maybe one or two spots a week, but since I've started this routine I haven't had a spot in weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I only use baby wipes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

I'm a little older than you but I've used a wide range of products on my skin all varying in price. I've had severe acne on and off over the years so I've always been fairly careful about what I put on my face. I used Clinique Superdefence for ages and really liked that but I had to change because of an acne outbreak. I was a big fan of dermalogica for a while but after a while I found the moisturiser - active moist - was leaving dry patches on my cheeks and chin. Due to financial circumstances I had to reign in my beauty budget so I use the Olay Regeinisis range - serum, Eye cream and moisturiser - It's working well for the time being but that can all change ...

In terms of cleansers though - I read somewhere once that you should spend more on products you leave on your face than those you wash off. With that in mind, it's Simple all the way - As long as it really cleans your skin without drying it out I really don't think it matters how much, or little you spend on it.

But at 25, you should start using a good quality eye cream - it'll stand to you later :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Manuka honey foaming facial wash followed by either Vichy Aqualia Thermal moisturiser (if my skin is dry) or Aveeno moisturiser with SPF for every day. I take makeup off with whatever cream cleanser is handy and then go over it with the face wash/moisturise routine above. I used to be a huge Dermalogica fan but honestly don't notice the difference between how my skin was then and how it is now. Everyone's different though so if there are products you love then why not splurge?

Advertisement