Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing Win7 as Dual Boot on Mac OSx

• 12-10-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I did a quick search on the forum and couldn't find anything specifically related.

I own a Macbook Pro (early 2011 i7), and I'm interested in getting Windows 7 and setting it up as a Dual Boot system (mostly just to play the odd game).

My issue is however I am very new to Mac OS, and I have no experience whatsoever on how to do this. I was wondering does anyone know of any decent resource guides, websites, tutorials etc., etc. in regards to this?

Appreciate any help at all really! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭jujumushu

Before you do this I would recommend doing a clean install of OS X. Numerous issues occur if you don't. So back your stuff up and erase the disk using disk utility then boot with the installation disk you got with the mac.
    Do you have a genuine copy of windows 7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

laura-can wrote: »
    Before you do this I would recommend doing a clean install of OS X. Numerous issues occur if you don't. So back your stuff up and erase the disk using disk utility then boot with the installation disk you got with the mac.
    Do you have a genuine copy of windows 7?

Yep have a gen copy of win7.

Does it make any odds if I just recently bought the mac? Or is it a case of backing up the files just to be safe?

Well if it's fairly new having a fresh install is less important but when you're doing something like this there is always a chance you'll lose all your work.
    Just finding a tutorial for the rest now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

The software used to dual-boot between OS X and Windows on a Mac is called Boot Camp.

Apple have lots of tutorials and FAQs on their website. It's quite easy to do. Since the process involves resizing partitions I would recommend backing up your data beforehand (but of course you already make regular backups, don't you?)

Good luck with it. :)

• Advertisement

Cheers lads really appreciate the help! Will give them a read over now.

Just one last thing. The tutorial says I need a OsX installation DVD... But I got my mac from the apple refurb store, and I don't recall it coming with a DVD. I could be wrong though... But if I'm not, will this be a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

You deffo should have got a disc, especially from a refurb shop

If not, go back and ask

As far as I'm aware the disk is unique to your machine so yeah it's really important :D if it's missing ring Apple

Cool, hopefully I just over looked it in the packaging.

• Advertisement
Advertisement