Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are own illustrations frowned upon?

• 12-10-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

There is a little world living inside my head and I've decided to try let it out.

I'd rather not say what the stories are about exactly but they involve fictional creatures. I've done some illustrations (first doodled then designed in Coral draw) based on this world and created the stories around them.

They are aimed at young children around age four (Although I need to do more research into this to make sure the wording and phrasing is suitable for this audience but the stories are definitely intended for a young age group).

What I'm wondering is, if I think I've done a good enough job on writing down these stories and adding illustrations to go with them, is it ok to submit them together to a publisher? (O'Brien Press for example?)

I feel the two of them belong together and one would not exist without the other.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me. (I'm a bit of a lurker around these parts and not much of a poster!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I know O'Brien don't expect you to have illustrations if you have a children's story, but I can't imagine they would object if you have.

Do you know any primary school teachers? They would probably be your best bet to know if the stories are worded appropriately for your target audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

EileenG wrote: »
    I know O'Brien don't expect you to have illustrations if you have a children's story, but I can't imagine they would object if you have.

Do you know any primary school teachers? They would probably be your best bet to know if the stories are worded appropriately for your target audience.

Unfortunately I don't but I know some mothers with children around that age.

Was planing on heading to the library and have a search through the children's books there for some guidelines. Doing a bit of research on-line today and I found when it comes to creating picture books, they are roughly 32 pages long with no more than a 1,000 words.

Advertisement