Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norweigan Elkhound

• 12-10-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I am considering getting a Norweigan Elkhound pup as a family dog for my 11 & 13 year old. I have read some of the previous threads on this breed and they dont seem to be recommended as they require alot of exercise and they dont allways answer when called etc. I have allways liked this breed even though i dont have alot of experience of owning dogs except when i was growing up. I would be able to provide excercise and have a large lawn etc. but i want a dog that would not be too much of a handful either as i plan on having it for years.
    • Am i mad considering one of these as a family dog?
    • And would there be more trouble from a dog than a bitch?
    • Also are there many reputable breeders out there?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Elkhounds are like most of the spitz breeds- vocal, energetic, and stubborn. Be prepared for a dog that you will have to walk on lead because leaving them off the lead can mean trouble. They have a high prey drive and will chase if something runs and no amount of calling will make them come back. They are extremely loyal dogs and make excellent family dogs once you raise them right. They can be boisterous so not reccommended for younger children, but your two should be okay. They are very intelligent, but also incredibly independant and need plenty of training from the beginning. Personally, I dont think you're mad to consider one, its a breed I was considering for a long time and as long as you put in the time to train and exercise the dog you should be fine.

In regards to dog or bitch, it depends on the dog's personality itself more than its gender. A bitch will be more likely to be more family oriented, though truthfully, elkies are very friendly and I haven't found much difference between the genders.

Reputable breeders might be a hard one. Your best bet is to contact the IKC or even better the Norwegian Elkhound Society of Ireland. Just stay away from websites like donedeal and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

hondavfr wrote: »
    • Am i mad considering one of these as a family dog?
    • And would there be more trouble from a dog than a bitch?
    • Also are there many reputable breeders out there?

• Would love one myself someday, but I think I would be mad to get one :p
    • It's a myth that males are more resistant to training, I think this may stem from the train of thought that females will bond more closely with their male owners, it's always men I hear this from.
    • I am unsure if there are breeders here that health test their breeding stock, there are more than a few in mainland UK though.
    You can find contact details for the Norwegian Elkhound Society of Ireland here.[FONT=times new roman,times,serif]

[/FONT]
    [FONT=times new roman,times,serif]Norwegian Elkhound Soc. of Ireland [/FONT][FONT=times new roman,times,serif] Ms. T. McKittrick
    39 Rathbeale Road, Swords, Co. Dublin.
    (01-8401647)
    [/FONT]

The breed clubs should be able to thoroughly answer all your questions for you. May I be so cheeky as to suggest a Samoyed as a more suitable alternative as a pet for an 11 and 13 year old though, especially if this is to be a first dog and they wish to be active participants in dog walking, training etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

Thank you both for your honest opinion and advice. I will ring the norweigan elkhound society and ask their advice also and hopefully they will put me in touch with a good breeder. I love all huskeys but the Elkhound the most but i would consider a Samoyed. The Elkhounds seem to make good watchdogs which i also like. I really dont mind if they need to be regurarly exercised as we have a fairly active household anyway. Its not a definite yet but i will keep options open. A German Shepard has also been mentioned but i think maybe that might be a bit too much of a dog for a first family dog. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I had one for most of my childhood and a great dog he was. Like others said he needed plenty of exercise and recall was never great. Well not quite, he'd return to my dad, but good luck with the rest of us :) He was an affectionate old thing overall.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Elkhounds aren't huskies, they are a totally different type of dog, hunting dogs, not pulling dogs. They may look like a husky, but their breeding is completely different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

ISDW wrote: »
    Elkhounds aren't huskies, they are a totally different type of dog, hunting dogs, not pulling dogs. They may look like a husky, but their breeding is completely different.

I think its just people that dont know the term Spitz so they relate the word Husky to these dogs they see with double coats and bushy curled tales because the dont know what else to call them. I had one guy who owned a Siberian husky call my German Spitz a husky:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Same as above, my Akita has always been referred to as a husky!! Alot of people don't know about Spitz breeds and after Disneys Snow Dogs, every dog with a curled tail is a husky!

The elkhound is similiar to the Akita in its stubborn-ness. So be prepared for a long training period which will continually be tested by the dog. It won't stop testing its boundaries with you even after it's past its "puppy" stage.

My friend has an Elkhound cross and like the Akita, she's found they can very much be a one master dog. It will listen to other members of the family to a certain extent, but usually listen to the one who puts in the most effort with it (ie. the one who trains/feeds/exercises it). Take this into consideration since you do have children. Should the dog get off the leash, it might be difficult getting it back. Especially if it's been distracted and it's prey drive kicks in.

It would make a great family dog mind you. Adores attention from its family and a great watch dog.

But there is ALOT of training required in a dog of a high prey drive and stubborn nature. I'm seeing too many Akitas and Elkhounds being passed off as the owners just don't understand the depth of commitment required in owning such a breed.

You seem to have done the research into the breed which is great. It's just the training won't end with these guys on account of their stubborn nature. So long as you've that on board, you should be fine.

Advertisement