Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

website insurance/terms & conditions

Options
  • 12-10-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Launching a trading platform in December, Etsy replica. What should I do about insurance and Terms & Conditions? Should I just copy & paste terms & conditions from another platform?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If you copy and paste them then there's nothing to guarantee whats in them applies to your business or is correct. You should talk to a solicitor and get proper terms and conditions written up. You can obviously take an example from another site and have it redone then to suit your business but you should still have a solicitor read over it to make sure its correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

Axwell wrote: »
    If you copy and paste them then there's nothing to guarantee whats in them applies to your business or is correct. You should talk to a solicitor and get proper terms and conditions written up. You can obviously take an example from another site and have it redone then to suit your business but you should still have a solicitor read over it to make sure its correct.

Thank, obviously that would be ideal but when you can't afford a solicitor you can't afford a solicitor so there is not really any point considering it until you have the cash to review the situation down the line. Solicitors are not the only people in the world that can read anyway, so not having access to one is hardly a reason to shut up shop and call it a day.

I am just looking for responses from people that understand this experience, starting from nothing and working their way through these issues - not people who had start-up capital to for a more conventional birth.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You may have friends or family who know a solicitor who would do it for cheap/free or who you could offer a barter of services with starting off. No one said you had to shut up and call it a day but at the same time if you are going to put terms and conditions and insurance related content on your website you would want to be sure its correct or it could come back to bite you in the ass down the line. If you have it already written and prepared and you just need someone to look over it that knows what they are looking at and talking about then im sure you can find someone to do that within your circle of friends/contacts or even someone on boards who might do you a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

Thanks for your advice. I don't have a dependable solicitor in my circle of friends contacts. I have not found people very willing to give discounts, maybe its just the way I ask though.

Shutting up shop is invariably the implicit advice when you asking for advice on how to do these things on a shoe-string. I have nothing to barter with a solicitor also.

I will write it up with reference to a few other websites and see if I can find a solicitor to look at it for a few potatoes and a head of cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭business bloomer

Thanks for your advice. I don't have a dependable solicitor in my circle of friends contacts. I have not found people very willing to give discounts, maybe its just the way I ask though.

Shutting up shop is invariably the implicit advice when you asking for advice on how to do these things on a shoe-string. I have nothing to barter with a solicitor also.

I will write it up with reference to a few other websites and see if I can find a solicitor to look at it for a few potatoes and a head of cabbage.

Nobody reads T&C... don't spend money on it, personal opinion.

When I was creating the T&C for my own business website, I followed this document http://www.failteireland.ie/getattachment/8b3c5d04-6340-4147-bd6b-44f127304fb0/Web-development-terms-and-conditions.aspx with Failte Ireland.

I know everybody copies T&C from other Websites, and that's why I allow everybody to do it from mine, as long as they let me know that in advance!

• Advertisement
Advertisement