Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Pressure Test for Building Energy Rating Assessments

• 12-10-2011 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Is there anywhere to find and compare businesses doing this? I know howgreenismyhome.ie do a test for circa €250 but that's all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Google is your friend.
    use "EN13829" in the search as this is the required standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Doctor_L

A number of us had our houses pressure and IR assessed. It brought the price down and identified convection loops and insulation issues in my dormer house.

Can pm details if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i was talking to someone at work the other day

he said that when they came to do the air tightness on a recent new build

they went round and covered all the holes such as spotlights etc

and then removed the tape when the test was finished

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

M cebee wrote: »
    i was talking to someone at work the other day

he said that when they came to do the air tightness on a recent new build

they went round and covered all the holes such as spotlights etc

and then removed the tape when the test was finished
    that kind of defeats the purpose don't you think? the only thing that should be covered is the required ventilation...

there some cowboys out there doing air-testing..

OP im not sure what stage your at but i would recommend getting a preliminary air-test after first fix and who ever does the test to walk you round the house showing you the problem areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

there must be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Doctor_L wrote: »
    A number of us had our houses pressure and IR assessed. It brought the price down and identified convection loops and insulation issues in my dormer house.

Can pm details if required.

That would be great.

BryanF wrote: »
    OP im not sure what stage your at but i would recommend getting a preliminary air-test after first fix and who ever does the test to walk you round the house showing you the problem areas

I think the house was built in the '70s. Is the title misleading? I don't know much about the process other than the company installs a blower door and checks where the warm air is escaping.

--

I think the house was built in the '70s. Is the title misleading? I don't know much about the process other than the company installs a blower door and checks where the warm air is escaping.
    Eoghan,
    I my experience most blower door test results will find you have leaks in a 70's house everywhere:) the result will come in at best > 10m3/hr/m2 at q50 (maybe Mick can give some of his experiences).

here's a link to another thread today that may be of interest http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056419406 Syd explains the air change rate and how much heating this is required to compensate a leak home..

while such a test is the best way to assess a house, it should be undertaken when a home-owner is ready to do disruptive internal refurbishment. (depending on your house type dormer-bungalows being the worst)

for instance, I did a house recently where the windows and external walls/attic were being insulated and internally the kitchen/dining space was swapped form the north to the south side of the house.. ie a great time to seal up the building and retro-fit MVHR. but the clients did it over the summer hols and were able to give the builders a couple of weeks in the house uninterrupted..

Much food for thought there. I may leave it off until the next major project then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement