Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed in Bolton Street

Options
  • 12-10-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

They are getting rid of the shed in Bolton St. DIT.
    R.I.P Shed!

And on a side note, the whole smoking in the courtyard ban is downright annoying.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Ah stop, it's crazy. In Aungier Street they have banned it from outside all the doors. They have even employed some guy to go around enforcing it. We have named him the Smoking Nazi. Now we get forced out into the courtyard, which is fine during the summer, but it's always bloody raining and the "shelter" they have provided is smaller that Dublin Bus stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

The fire drill was sounded last thursday morning, at lunch time the chap tried to stop about 15 of us from smoking and was laughed out of the place, he declared that he was the smoke detector! People were offering him smokes and asking was that him over the intercom making the fire siren.
    But yeah, loada crap situation...especially coming into winter with the wet rain and wind, making a rolly is going to be miserable!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ambp

I totally disagree, you shouldn't have to squeeze through a load of smokers blocking the steps in Aungier St just to get in and out of the building, and it makes the college look gross having people smoking all day long outside it.

The courtyard is underused anyway, and this might get more people out there and using it while also clearing the front steps. They should provide more benches or tables out in the courtyard so people actually use it more.

To be honest, i do get where you're coming from, and if they do provide proper seating and shelters and stuff in the courtyard, i'd be all for it. But untill then, I hate having to stand in the rain for a smoke, so I (and all my friends) continue to avoid the smoking Nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

shanered wrote: »
    And on a side note, the whole smoking in the courtyard ban is downright annoying.
    When's that coming into effect? Plenty of people smoking there today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Well there was two guys employed to stop people from smoking, but looks like they replaced them with two no smoking signs.
    But yeah people seem to be still smoking so....

Aard wrote: »
    When's that coming into effect? Plenty of people smoking there today.

In effect from about 2 weeks ago I'd say. Although, as shanered said, the Smoking Nazi Gentleman employed to stop people smoking, doesn't seem to be there any more. Just a big sign saying No Smoking.

I have noticed that there is a few more people smoking in the Courtyard than there was in AST, but smoking at the door has far from stopped.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

In effect from about 2 weeks ago I'd say. Although, as shanered said, the Smoking Nazi Gentleman employed to stop people smoking, doesn't seem to be there any more. Just a big sign saying No Smoking.
    I think they just send out one of the porters every 20 minutes or so to be a smoking nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭PaperArchitect

The porters are the most ignorant group of people I've ever come across, but they basically own DIT because the campus' are so small. Good news is the second year archs are building a new shelter in the courtyard in the second semester but the smoking ban there, like nearly everything else the porters do, is totally unnecessary, they just need to feel like they have a purpose so they go out of their way to bother everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

shanered wrote: »
    They are getting rid of the shed in Bolton St. DIT.
    R.I.P Shed!

By the shed, please tell me you mean E block. Please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

The porters are the most ignorant group of people I've ever come across, but they basically own DIT because the campus' are so small. Good news is the second year archs are building a new shelter in the courtyard in the second semester but the smoking ban there, like nearly everything else the porters do, is totally unnecessary, they just need to feel like they have a purpose so they go out of their way to bother everyone else.
    bear in mind the original smoking shed was taped of for a long time as they believed it to be unsafe... this whole this kinda shows up DIT for their short term thinking too considering they ran a competition for a new smoking shed in Bolton Street 6 months ago. (won by 2 lads on a year out so technically not eligable)
    ps Donal is the only sound porter about and its funny we all obey him a lot more
    it all reminds me of the IT crowd though:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MToRvo5RExg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Personally I'm delighted that It's banned I used to use the Bishop st. entrance to Auinger st. just to avoid all the smokers.So you're complaining that you've to go outside to smoke in the rain?Well get over it it's a horrible disgusting harmful habit that you yourself chose to take up.Either give up or stop giving out.

This is not an anti-smoking forum. If people want to give out about having to Smoke in the rain because of a new DIT Policy, they are more than entitled to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Personally I'm delighted that It's banned I used to use the Bishop st. entrance to Auinger st. just to avoid all the smokers.So you're complaining that you've to go outside to smoke in the rain?Well get over it it's a horrible disgusting harmful habit that you yourself chose to take up.Either give up or stop giving out.
    I have to agree its a lot more pleasant to get through to the college without a disgusting throng of smokers blocking the entrance. That said I do think its pretty ****ty that DIT arent providing a decent shelter for smokers somewhere where they aren't annoying non smokers.

Advertisement