Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chance to run a cafe rent free

Options
  • 12-10-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

I saw this on Face-book earlier, good opportunity for someone. I'd love to see something like 'Mildred's' back there, Eddie Rockets is just not the same. I probably am remembering with rose tinted glasses but in the 70's going to Mildred's was the biggest treat ever, giant icecream sundays (the fact that I was under 10 might have made them seem bigger though :p)

RTÉ Local Heroes Drogheda
    Incredible news in the Hub this morning!
    The Abbey Shopping Centre, West Street, Drogheda in conjunction with our TimeBank initiative would like to offer one successful applicant the opportunity to take over and run the Café in the Abbey Shopping Centre free of charge save for utilities.
    Applicants must be on the Live-Register and preferably have experience in the catering business.
    Applications to be submitted by 5pm Tuesday 25th of October to
    abbeycafecompetition@gmail.com
    or to
    Terry Grant or Des Grant, Tassel Limited, First Floor, Abbey Shopping Centre, West Street, Drogheda.
    The decision will be made on the 31st of October.
    Info: 041 9832496

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It strikes me...I reckon the rent is already pretty low in that place, but would this mean free council rates as well? Or insurance? And I'd imagine you'd need a fair bit to set up staff wages, new decorations and the likes.

This would be an awesome, I reckon, idea ifthey were giving away a load of the stores for a variety of new shops to set up, and someone was willing to offer financial assistance in setting up said shops. But if memory serves me right, that shopping center struggled during the boom years, let alone now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

It's a great idea and opportunity for someone with a good idea doing something different. I'd travel that far for a decent coffee or unusual food etc. It would need to be more then the usual run of mill stuff though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

mildreds a blast from the past . my brother's mother in law ran that place millie.;)at the time it was very different been run American style. my sister used to do all the baking, pumpin pie/ blackberry pie and all freshly baked and i suppose what it had going for it at the time the servings were very generous.
    lets hope someone can make a go of it again sure would be good to see some life put back into that place.;)

Advertisement