Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food colouring for white chocolate

Options
  • 12-10-2011 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭

I want to make some Halloween themed cake pops, so need orange and black covering. You can buy the coloured candy melts on eBay but they are really expensive. What is the best type of food colouring to add to melted white cooking chocolate?

I can order powder colouring from eBay cheap enough, I've never used it before though. Or would just a few drops of liquid colouring be ok? I don't want the chocolate to granulate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Liquid food colouring wont work, it will make the chocolate seize. You can get oil based chocolate colours online, powder will also work, it just needs a lot of mixing in. Would definitely work for the orange, not so sure about black, I imagine it would take an awful lot of powder to get a jet black probably get a grey mess first. Could you use black sugarpaste for the black bits? Powder colours are fairly readily available in any of the cake dec shops if you are near one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Thanks! Might scrab the black design so. Only one cake decorating place in my town, will check it today, if now I'll order some powders online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

stuff4cakes.ie have the powders, was there the other day and they had a good selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

What about really dark chocolate for the black, Lidl do reasonably priced very dark choc.

What about really dark chocolate for the black, Lidl do reasonably priced very dark choc.

I don't like dark chocolate :pac: Just gonna order some powder online :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Yellow97

Kitchen compliments opposite the side of Stephen's green sc has bags of different coloured chocolate. I've used their orange one recently & as long as you melt it slowly it's good stuff

Aw thanks, I'm not from Dublin but I'm up there often enough! Is it expensive do you know?

I got some powdered food colouring online, I'll try it out in a few days and see how it goes. Hope it works. need to use it before I can get to Dublin!

it's about €5.50 a for a bag of coloured buttons but they go a long way. Let me know how you get on with the powder colour

The powder works great! Made these cake pops with orange powder mixed with white chocolate. It would definitely work out cheaper than the coloured chocolate, but maybe they would be good depending on how vibrant a colour you want. The ones I saw online were much more colourful, but the powder worked just fine for me :)

oct20th003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

The powder works great! Made these cake pops with orange powder mixed with white chocolate. It would definitely work out cheaper than the coloured chocolate, but maybe they would be good depending on how vibrant a colour you want. The ones I saw online were much more colourful, but the powder worked just fine for me :)

oct20th003.jpg

Wow they're so good!! :)

• Advertisement

haha they'll cool!

Advertisement