Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Certificate in Science in Computing in Applications & Support

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

clubcrown wrote: »
    Its a brand new course. Seeing as you're pretty much ignoring what I'm saying, and entirely missing the point, I'm done with this discussion.

lol yeh sure. I'm the one ignoring what the other is saying. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

Clanket wrote: »
    lol yeh sure. I'm the one ignoring what the other is saying. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"you can roll your eyes all you want", a great man once said to me :-)

Go re-read the thread boss. I bet you'll get the answers you want. Its not too complicated to understand really. I'm not going to repeat myself just because you're being obtuse.

And I'm not going to argue with someone who can't quote to backup what they're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

A colleges remit is to teach. Not to work out what class people should be in. That's up to the student.

You are 100% incorrect Clanket. In the case of postgraduate courses, the onus is completly on the college to only accept people of suitable standard for the course.

I don't understand that. Can you explain why?

• Advertisement

Let me put it like this – anyone can apply for a course and you are correct that people should research to ensure that the course is applicable to them. But this is only about them applying.

For postgrad courses, the college has standards that each individual should meet – these are in the form of academic qualifications or REPL (Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning). This is all standard for postgrad applications in all institutions and NCI publishes this information in the prospectus. In the case of these courses, it simply appears that the NCI did not follow through on this and opened the floodgates. There is simply no way that this course should have been offered to people with no IT qualifications or experience!

Personally, I’d like to know if Springboard money is paid upfront but this would be speculation on my part…

I still think the onus is on the student to ensure they are enrolling on a course they will be able to complete.

Is it an actual requirement of anyones (funding bodies, examinations bodies etc) that the college assesses the suitability of candidates?

I still think the onus is on the student to ensure they are enrolling on a course they will be able to complete.

Yep - agree 100%. No point in someone applying for a course if they feel it is not applicaple to them or too difficult to complete.
    Is it an actual requirement of anyones (funding bodies, examinations bodies etc) that the college assesses the suitability of candidates?

It's a requirement of the 3rd level institutions offering these courses and they should be doing it. To be honest, the first that I heard of NCI interviewing anyone for this course was on this thread! These are HETAC level 9 courses and there are rules to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MrsNice

@ Brewie

STAY AWAY FROM NCI.... go some where else... STAY AWAY....

I'm on the pgcert in cloud computing... in NCI and its run by 3 year olds... seriously... I picked the course because it looked impressive on-line and it was part of springboard... but that's where my prase for this course ends.. They advertised the course as a point of entry in to the Cloud computing industry, and that you dont nead a programming backgroud.... they lie...

anyway I don't want to make this a rant about my course... , I'm also a student in Kevin St... there are pro's and con's to both but... NCI will put you in to a huge class, and try to shock you with 70+ students in your class and 630-1030 evening lectures... with 2-3 differnt subjects a night... DIT has you in 630/7 - 930 with one lecture a night... the classes are smaller, and the lectuers are more accomidating to your needs...

N

PM me if you want more info

I would like to say that this is an excellent course and I think that the group that are left would all agree with me. Nemo is gone !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

MrsNice wrote: »
    I would like to say that this is an excellent course and I think that the group that are left would all agree with me. Nemo is gone !!!!
    Nemo has deferred as she is busy with her Masters. I do agree that the course is excellent but I think this Semester will be a bitch as Enterprise Frameworks will be very tough.

• Advertisement

Nemo has deferred as she is busy with her Masters. I do agree that the course is excellent but I think this Semester will be a bitch as Enterprise Frameworks will be very tough.

Instead of coming on here and slating NCI she should have been concentrating on her workload... maybe then she could finish something she started.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

How many was there originally on the course and how many are left?

Also, is there not some avenue or forum to raise issues with the course? Like a student rep meeting?

I'm on the BSHCE track and we have class reps that attend meeting and raise issues for the class. Does this course not have something similar?

How many was there originally on the course and how many are left?

Also, is there not some avenue or forum to raise issues with the course? Like a student rep meeting?

I'm on the BSHCE track and we have class reps that attend meeting and raise issues for the class. Does this course not have something similar?

Unfortunately Nemo was our class rep and only raised issues that effected her without asking the class for a consensus. The main problem people have it that they find it too hard !!! We are doing a level 9 postgrad course ... not sure what people expected but I think the majority of the class should have done a fas course ... not level 9. I don't have an IT background and so have to put a lot of work into it but am managing.
    I think that there were about 70 people to start with and about 30 left (thats a rough estimate and some were doing a cert course - probably a min of 15 have dropped out)

Advertisement