Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking something and then it happens

Options
  • 12-10-2011 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

This has been happening me a lot recently, and it's so weird when it does.

About a week ago, I started playing a song on my laptop with earphones in, and a few minutes later my flatmate's friend - who could not possibly have heard it - started singing the same song.

And it's already happened me twice today. While lying in bed I started thinking of a song; a few minutes later it's playing on the radio.

The weirdest one though, was before my English lecture the word 'nexus' randomly popped into my head. No idea why. Then, when I'm in English, I see ads with the word written on it all over the tables! And I know I definitely didn't see it subconsciously, I'm positive I didn't. Hell, even the fact I looked at the ads in the first place was a fluke, because I had to pick one up to read it.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

i was thinking the same question not to long ago...In fact i was reading someplace that these [sub-memory].. memories can pop into peoples heads at anytime, for up to 5 or 15 seconds while sleeping.
    its very common!
    its like being able to sence danger....i would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rockynavan

e s p i think it called

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Sometimes I think of a simpsons episode, and then some time later, Its on tv!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭crushproof

branie wrote: »

What the......that's exactly the same reply I was gonna write! Mysterious!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

branie wrote: »
    crushproof wrote: »
    What the......that's exactly the same reply I was gonna write! Mysterious!

Jesus Christ lads ye're not going to believe this.

The whole thinking about a Simpsons episode and it being on television happens to me too :eek:

The same thing happens to me with other television programmes too though QI being another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

barbarians wrote: »
    Jesus Christ lads ye're not going to believe this.

The whole thinking about a Simpsons episode and it being on television happens to me too :eek:

The same thing happens to me with other television programmes too though QI being another.

The Simpsons is repeated ad nauseaum. When you habitually watch something, you have an idea in your subconscious of what comes next. In the case of the simpsons, an idea of what episode follows another, albeit in the back of your mind.

You probably think of a particular episode after seeing part or all of the episode you know in the back of your mind is close to it in sequence. Then a few days later when you see it on tv, it seems like it just pops up out of nowhere.

We remember more than we are consciously aware of. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Once I was thinking about the Simpsons and then it was on TV during the following week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

OMG! this happens me all the time with The Simpsons! Especially if i think about them around teatime!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The next smart arse trolling comment gets a ban, I've had enough of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

Happens to me I dream of something then about 2 weeks later it happens, it could be me saying a word/ sentence or even being taught in class , quite strange :/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

About a week ago, I started playing a song on my laptop with earphones in, and a few minutes later my flatmate's friend - who could not possibly have heard it - started singing the same song.

People usually associate with like minded people with the same interests so its no surprise they might like the same song.
    And it's already happened me twice today. While lying in bed I started thinking of a song; a few minutes later it's playing on the radio.

If a song is well known or popular it is often on the radio.
    The weirdest one though, was before my English lecture the word 'nexus' randomly popped into my head. No idea why. Then, when I'm in English, I see ads with the word written on it all over the tables! And I know I definitely didn't see it subconsciously, I'm positive I didn't. Hell, even the fact I looked at the ads in the first place was a fluke, because I had to pick one up to read it.

Nexus is a word that is used a lot.

None of this is unusual at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

snafuk35 wrote: »
    Nexus is a word that is used a lot.

Yes, that every day conversational word, Nexus. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

Yes, that every day conversational word, Nexus. :rolleyes:

See you just used nexus right there. Point proved I think. Humble pie is in order.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Confirmation bias, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

re: simpsons episodes.

Same thing happens me with episodes of 'Friends'.

I mean, what are the chances of me thinking of a funny scene involving Joey and chandler one day and 3-4 days later that exact same episode is one channel 4, or channel 4 +1 or E4 or E4+1, or the comedy channel or Comedy channel +1, or Comedy extra or Viva, or TV3.

I mean, the odds must be like.. i dunno. 9/10 on!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CYHSN

re: simpsons episodes.

Same thing happens me with episodes of 'Friends'.

I mean, what are the chances of me thinking of a funny scene involving Joey and chandler one day and 3-4 days later that exact same episode is one channel 4, or channel 4 +1 or E4 or E4+1, or the comedy channel or Comedy channel +1, or Comedy extra or Viva, or TV3.

I mean, the odds must be like.. i dunno. 9/10 on!:D

I'm guessing the reason you were thinking about it in the first place was because it was memorable and properly a popular episode because of it, and gets more views if its aired, more likely to appear on tv :D

Advertisement