Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on what to plant

Options
  • 12-10-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I am in the process of building a new house in Co Meath. Half of the site is surrounded by a ditch but the other half is only fenced off by a single wire. On driving down the hill towards the house everyone can see around the back/side of the house. I need to ensure I get some privacy in the future. I am looking for advice on what sort of trees and hedge to plant. I also need know when is the best time to plant these?
    Any advice would be appreciated or if anyone has any pictures of their garden I would love to see them.
    Thanking you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Well, the best time to plant anything is when it is dormant. So that is mainly autumn winter here. A long as the soil is not frozen of course.

As to what to plant... Do you want complete wall-like privacy? Or some lighter wafting branches?

For complete privacy, without putting in an actual hedge, i would go for a mix of holly. A great native irish small tree / large shrub. There are varigated ones for a bit of all year colour. Look for a pic of ilex silver queen or ilex golden king. There are non varigated ones also, and best of all you get evergreen glossy leaves all year, with a smattering of blood red berries in time for winter decorations. And they feed the birds. :)

If you have a bit more space, you could add some hyrandgas for big bursts of colour.

Also consider underplanting with a mix of spiky plants, like phormiums, blue fescue or astellia to break up the 'wall' effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭miss-bored

thanks, great advice there

Advertisement