Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the steepest hill in Dublin?

Options
  • 12-10-2011 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I have searched, didn't find anything though cycling forum have a few suggestions
    But I'll ask the good folks who know Dublin best :)

I'm so unfit :o
    And was struggling up the hill by the FÁS centre between Ballyfermot and Chapelizod yesterday, tis steep.
    Here is a pic of Chapelizod Hill Road

Now when I was fitter I used to cycle around Howth and the steepest hill I know in Dublin is in Howth up past the Church, pic of Balglass Road

For me, that's the steepest hill in Dublin

Do you know anywhere steeper?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The Burrow road near Stepaside, lots of hilly climbs in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Knockmaroon hill just after Chapelizod is pretty steep

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

mikemac wrote: »
    I have searched, didn't find anything though cycling forum have a few suggestions
    But I'll ask the good folks who know Dublin best :)

I'm so unfit :o
    And was struggling up the hill by the FÁS centre between Ballyfermot and Chapelizod yesterday, tis steep.
    Here is a pic of Chapelizod Hill Road

Now when I was fitter I used to cycle around Howth and the steepest hill I know in Dublin is in Howth up past the Church, pic of Balglass Road

For me, that's the steepest hill in Dublin

Do you know anywhere steeper?

You can checks the steepness by mapping the road on a number of sites like, mapmyride and bikeroutetoatser. You should have a look at the router for the national hill climb championship tis year. Is out between Dundrum and Stepaside and from personal experience its brutal,

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Home/Road/National-Championships/National-Hill-Climb-Championships-2011.aspx

Final 200m at 16% gradient, monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the road leading out of Howth is steep enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

+1 for Tinkers Hill in Chapleizod,used to hate cycling up that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Howth without a doubt, there's a couple of stretches my old banger could barely drive up.

Round here in particular, street view doesn't do it justice, it's very steep indeed: Balglass Road, Howth Edit: didn't see the same link in the OP, my stupid bad.

Thormanby Road the main road out of Howth mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sf80 wrote: »
    Knockmaroon hill just after Chapelizod is pretty steep
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

http://www.sportdistancecalculator.com/index.php?id=5344#map

this is short but steep.its a killer.

barrack road, glencullen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Yep, Barrack Road! I don't recommend driving up it in a 95 Skoda with four passengers (oops!).

http://g.co/maps/8kk3g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

every road when you have a pints on board:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

arbour hill/temple street west at the side of the aisling hotel is pretty steep if my memory serves me right

Advertisement