Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merge Limerick City & County Forums

• 12-10-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

Do it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What an informed opening argument from you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Beer Baron wrote: »
    What an informed opening argument from you. :D

It wasn't an argument, It was an instruction :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

And Merge it with the Clare one while you're at it!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

No. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Not within my capabilities. Could possibly be done by an Admin, but would probably require some help from the tech team.

It might be worth polling/getting feedback from the users of both fora before making such bold demands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No blow-ins here... :pac:

Id say do it.
    not enough activity on the county limerick forum to justify it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Oh god, this is going to turn into a debate about county council boundaries now......

Baldie wrote: »
    Oh god, this is going to turn into a debate about county council boundaries now......

No, it's not. Also, considering the councils are to be merged in the next few years, such an argument would be redundant anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have not read the county forum yet in 2011 so don't really mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Twin-go wrote: »

we'd have to only take a small bit of the clare forum :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I say we should move all the Dooradoyle/Raheen threads to the County Forum!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

zuroph wrote: »
    we'd have to only take a small bit of the clare forum :p

Don't even think about it :D

I say we should move all the Dooradoyle/Raheen threads to the County Forum!

So many times I've been tempted, just to see the $h!t storm that would inevitably follow! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i would be against it, simply on the basis of relevance. a prime example of this being that yesterday i went to the golden pages looking for a tiler in limerick city, not limerick county as most of the results would have been irrelevant, a tiler in say for example patrickswell isnt going to come into limerick city for a small job, (turns out it has turned into a bigger job, at my request, hence no friday night beers for me this weekend), but the point being that there were fifteen relevant results in limerick city alone, that was enough for me to be calling, as opposed to fifty three results when i expanded my search to limerick county!

that's something else to bear in mind too actually, if the forums were to be merged, how many from limerick county would bother coming into the city for a boards beers, considering then they'd either have to pay for overnight accomodation, or pay for a taxi home.

just because the limerick county forum doesn't get much traffic shouldn't be a reason to merge it with the city forum, or when an announcement for an event is on it'd have to be pre-fixed with the relevant city or county location, more hassle than it's worth imho, and the idea of a county forum being a sub-forum of the main city one? well that'd just be confusing!

xsiborg wrote: »
    i would be against it, simply on the basis of relevance. a prime example of this being that yesterday i went to the golden pages looking for a tiler in limerick city, not limerick county as most of the results would have been irrelevant, a tiler in say for example patrickswell isnt going to come into limerick city for a small job, (turns out it has turned into a bigger job, at my request, hence no friday night beers for me this weekend), but the point being that there were fifteen relevant results in limerick city alone, that was enough for me to be calling, as opposed to fifty three results when i expanded my search to limerick county!

that's something else to bear in mind too actually, if the forums were to be merged, how many from limerick county would bother coming into the city for a boards beers, considering then they'd either have to pay for overnight accomodation, or pay for a taxi home.

just because the limerick county forum doesn't get much traffic shouldn't be a reason to merge it with the city forum, or when an announcement for an event is on it'd have to be pre-fixed with the relevant city or county location, more hassle than it's worth imho, and the idea of a county forum being a sub-forum of the main city one? well that'd just be confusing!

This isn't the golden pages.

as far as I'm aware Limerick City boards beers don't exactly pack them in.

I've missed a few threads where I could have helped someone out in the county forum because I rarely check in there due to the low traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

ah come on Itsdacraic, you're missing my point, perhaps i didn't explain myself well enough, my point was basically that there are plenty of low traffic regional forums on boards, and then there are those like the limerick city forum which are busy, but the point i was trying to make is that it keeps things organised, just look at dublin alone which has four forums, one for each Dublin region, then the North region has the six counties and Belfast city gets it's own forum, simply for organisational purposes because there's more goes on in a city.
    Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I've missed a few threads where I could have helped someone out in the county forum because I rarely check in there due to the low traffic.

I too have missed numerous occasions on boards where i could have been helpful if i'd seen the post, a recent example being a poster in the xbox forum who was staying in the Strand hotel and was looking for a cable for his xbox, i remember thinking "i would have caught this sooner if it had been posted in the Limerick city forum, thats a good example of where relevance comes in. the poster was in Limerick city, but looking for assistance in a national forum, if that makes sense? i.e. there would have been plenty of people around the country who read the xbox forums, but wouldn't have been in Limerick city to help the OP in that situation. it only just happened that i read the xbox forum after i read the regional forums (i also read the midlands and dublin froums. im originally from portlaoise but i also spent time in dublin).

tl;dr: it's more for organisational purposes and location relevant information that i'd suggest the forums stay the way they are, as well as organisational purposes. i just feel it would dilute and fragment a very active forum if there were limerick county relevant posts sprinkled in among posts only relevant to limerick city.

if we were to do this for the limerick county and city forum, site development would have to take a look at all the froums on the basis that some are busier than others and should the busier ones be merged back into the quieter ones to direct more traffic towards them. i can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Twin-go wrote: »
    Would a boundry extension into the clare forum suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

A by the way question:Has The Limerick Blogger Forum disappeared?

• Advertisement

A by the way question:Has The Limerick Blogger Forum disappeared?

That whole site seems to be inaccessible at the moment, not just the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Merging them makes sense to me. The Limerick city and county forums seem less busy than some of the other city and county forums, so having them under one roof opens things up for more chat, which can only be good.

Victory is mine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

With over 80% of people in the poll in favour of merging the forums as well as the sentiment of most in the threads on the topic we will be merging the threads this week sometime.

Thanks everyone for contributing to the decision making process, we may implement some kind of tagging system recgonising City & County topics, but that will come later.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Do it.

Who would have thought two little words, four simple characters, could be so powerful. In times of despair like our country is suddenly experiencing, it is awe inspiring to think so little could do so much.

Take this as an inspiration, look in the mirror each morning and repeat this simple creed: Do it. Do it. DO IT

/* rapturous applause */

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Sig changed to honour occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭adaminho

Firstly welcome to our county cousins. Now the threads are merged can you please clean up the stickies? Surely we don't need two charters and the cheapest petrol thread can be placed in the useful links sticky?

about gorram time

Advertisement