Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Cork Radio Station

Options
  • 12-10-2011 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86,577 ✭✭✭✭

Red FM or 96 FM or other

Best Cork Radio Station 35 votes

Red FM
    0% 0 votes
    96 FM
    62% 22 votes
    Other
    37% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

RedFM for me, although I've changed and now only listen to TodayFM.

I think they're both sh1t at cummuting times, RedFm used to advertise that they weren't a chat channel, every morning they have their lame chat breakfast show with daft wind ups and the you're rattled crap. 96fm have the infuriatingly boring mysttery sound crap. Victor Barry then trying to rival the equally dire Prendy post [EMAIL="w@@k"]w@@k[/EMAIL] on the plane incident.

Both of them are awful really.

Still both are better than listening to that Hector muppet on 2fm, Jeeeeeeeeeeesus he's a numpty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

What about the other Cork stations includin - Life FM, Campus Radio and the "weird radio station at 87.5 fm"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i never won a thing off any of them both ****e but i used to listen more to red fm so went with that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

What ever happened to WKLR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Radio Friendly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

SomeFool wrote: »
    Radio Friendly :pac:

Was thinking of Friendly recently after Broz died. Used to be such a good station. Bellyman's reggae show was legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Where does one start here.....?

Don't listen to anything before 9.00....Feck all on anywhere,,and wouldn't listen to Red.Fm if it was the last station on earth.

Listen to Prenderville until 12.00..Then it's over to David Harvey on 4Fm until 3.00.....Then usually radio off time again.

That fecker that be on before 9.00 on 96Fm is just rank....Same ****e every single morning,,Same time,,same stuff....Could time your watch by them. And,,to make it worse...He plays repeats of those fookin soap ****e things that be on the night before.....How feckin sad is that like?

Same reason I don't listen to Gareth O Callaghan anymore.(4Fm)..He's gone dire like. Same thing everyday...Same time,Repeats himself every 25 minutes....

Never ever listen to 2Fm....Rank as well....Thankfully I never ever heard Gerry Ryan.....Wasn't My cup of tea at all....

And,,for all of the above,,the amount of ads are just shocking....

So,,if I'm at home,it's on with the Sky box and listen to a few of the "classics" radio stations on it...Fantastic 80's and 90's music.

Rant over.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I hate 96FM.

RedFM tries too hard.

Newstalk for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

CUH can be pretty awesome for good music in the evenings. Haven't listened to it in a while but use to a lot back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

SexyGuy wrote: »

Thankfully I never ever heard Gerry Ryan.....Wasn't My cup of tea at all....

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Red Fm, wakes me up on the drive to work every morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

96 FM is the biggest load of shyte I've ever listened to. WTF is their obsession with American accents?? Have you ever noticed that most of their ads have people putting on fake American twangs? Do they think we're supposed to be impressed by that?? Most of their idiot DJs also seem to feel the need to put on fake Transatlantic accents. It really does my head in.

Red FM is a load of bollox as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

96fm is housewives radio i mean they play the jlo song without the rap part,some djs are ok like emmet kennedy but the rest are boring,red fm is not too bad but i would mostly listen to today fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

96 FM is the biggest load of shyte I've ever listened to. WTF is their obsession with American accents?? Have you ever noticed that most of their ads have people putting on fake American twangs? Do they think we're supposed to be impressed by that?? Most of their idiot DJs also seem to feel the need to put on fake Transatlantic accents. It really does my head in.

Red FM is a load of bollox as well.

The guy who does their ads has an American accent, it's not fake.
    Also, Steve Hayes is American, again it's not fake.

Are you suggesting that those of us with American accents should be banned from the airwaves or something?!:eek:

Nick Richards in the morning is English too, as is one of the 96fm newsreaders.

It does happen that people actually move TO Cork from the UK and the US and elsewhere. And shock/horror, one or two of them even end up working in radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

96FM are probably single handedly keeping Phil Collins warm in his gaff in the Alps.

They're both dire!

I just can't stand RedFM's jingles. They're like something out of the 1980s.
    When it launched first it was far slicker than it is now.

96fm has always been middle of the road. It seems to be the audience it targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Solair wrote: »
    The guy who does their ads has an American accent, it's not fake.
    Also, Steve Hayes is American, again it's not fake.

Are you suggesting that those of us with American accents should be banned from the airwaves or something?!:eek:

Nick Richards in the morning is English too, as is one of the 96fm newsreaders.

It does happen that people actually move TO Cork from the UK and the US and elsewhere. And shock/horror, one or two of them even end up working in radio.

I'm living in Cork, not downtown Manhattan. No matter how much 96FM like to think they're being sophisticated with their American accents, they're not. In fact it just makes them look dumb and silly. It's the Toneee Fenton approach to radio. As far as I know, Neil Prendeville was born and bred on the Northside of Cork city. I seem to remember him spending some time in Canada but it still doesn't excuse him from slipping into an American accent most of the time with his "A-dress" and his "resumés", and his various other American affectations.

96FM is a parody of itself, with its wall-to-wall poodle rock music and its obsession with all things Americana. Somebody should tell them that we're not in the 1980's anymore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

RedFM and 96 are both dire. I try to listen to them on the way to work but they talk sh1te all the time. That said, most radio shows with two presenters are terrible. Had the misfortune of listening to Lucy Kennedy and Baz Something this morning. She interrupted the weather to say that Baz had just told her during the news how he had had hummus for breakfast, and she'd give us the rest of the details on that in a little while. SHOCKING that they thing people care to that level.

Right now I am loving Spirit Radio. You get the odd, 'Live and love like Jesus' message but if you can block that out you get good music and (almost) no ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Both are terrible. Forced to listen to 96fm in work. Between the fecking secret sound and a whole 3 hours of ignorant Neil Prendiville ranting on about the refugees, and council workers.

I don't know how he gets away with it, his opinion on the mass murderer in Norway "but sure, you can see why he got angry."

Or another gem while talking about how parents can embarass their children " and sure don't I know all about that :rolleyes:"

Or he has strong views on unaccompanied learner drivers, sure doesn't his son drive unaccompanied to school every day.

• Advertisement

I am constantly flabbergasted by some of the stuff on that 96fm chat show, and not in a good Howard Stern way, more in a US style somewhat right-wing shock jock way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Still listening to the Radio.

I sure hope you guys don't actually do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Red FM or 96, hmmm, it's kind of like asking which way would you rather die - burned alive or slowly suffocated!

Both poor radio stations but a special mention has to go to Red. I'm forced to listen to this at work by my boss. Jesus H Christ, its excruciating radio. The same rubbish pop every day, the same Rihanna song every hour, sometimes twice an hour in case you didn't hear it the first time. They seem to think that music is a 21st century phenomenon, as they don't play any pre 2000 stuff. Those extremely annoying techo jingles in-between songs, and don't get me started on that fcuking female voice-over with the melodramatic tone.

Their latest gig is to slag off a George Harrison song in one of their ads, calling it "lame". The irony isn't lost on me. A bit rich coming from a station playing Olly Murs, Justin Bieber, The Saturdays and Rihanna 24/7 on repeat.

Fcuktards.

I switch over to 4fm when i get a chance, some quality retro tunes and they don't repeat songs during the work day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Yeah,,4FM isn't bad at all.....

Until 3.00pm when Gareth O Callaghan comes on...OMFG..This guy is sooooooo bloody repetitive...He constantly repeats things about every 30 mins or so..

It's like the news on 96FM..Hear it at 7.00am,,and it's the same thing at 9.00pm..

But,,96FM has it's own problems....Ken Tobin...Be Jaesus,,,Can that guy talk.....and talk....and talk...There's just no shutting him up..

A 4 hour show,,with about 3 hours of him talking,45 mins of ads,and maybe 2 or 3 songs..

Demented like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 irishguy8888

Yes I definitely will not listen to 96fm again as i think that MD fella is in Luv with Neil prendeville having stuck with him after his **** on the plane shame, and here was I (and every one i know) thinking We finally had got rid of that most annoying presenter of all time. Now listen to a combination of Redfm and today fm and radio one best for current hot issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Cork blow-in here, but in general never liked ANY local stations.

Was always a 2fm listner now gradually drifting ovet to Todayfm, Ray D,arcy mostly. Matt Cooper is always on in the evening and then ovet to Newstalk for "Off the Ball" after 7pm.

Can't stand anything on 96fm, Redfm occasionally, very fast paced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Worztron

The poll is now closed but I would have voted 96FM.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Not really a valid poll anyway.

I wake to 96fm and then may listen to Neil. For the rest of the day 4FM. But as often as not, the radio is off ~ Next ad, next ad, next ad ~

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Worztron

gbee wrote: »
    Not really a valid poll anyway.

I wake to 96fm and then may listen to Neil. For the rest of the day 4FM. But as often as not, the radio is off ~ Next ad, next ad, next ad ~

But the poll says Best Cork Radio Station. 4FM is in Dublin.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Worztron wrote: »
    But the poll says Best Cork Radio Station. 4FM is in Dublin.

Ya, see I put my foot in it again. :o

Advertisement