Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Commerce business idea of sorts

Options
  • 12-10-2011 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi all. I have a rough idea for a website which will hopefully (over alot of time) make me some money on the side :)

I'm living in the North but I would like persons from the UK and Ireland to use this site. Am I best registering a .ie or .co.uk or even .com domain? What provider do people recommend for hosting? I anticipate the site will not have a great deal of traffic for a while but I would like the capacity in the future.

The site will require a purchasing function so account creation, secure checkout etc..

I assume I will need to register the business here in the North? I should add that this business is purely online based, it requires no storage or premises as such.

I've been a long time lurker of this forum and some of the stories really are inspirational. I'm a young enough lad and I'm willing to put the effort in as, in my opinion, there is no greater feeling that reeping the rewards of a bit of hard graft!

Any and all advice is appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭business bloomer

scrapsmac wrote: »
    I'm living in the North but I would like persons from the UK and Ireland to use this site. Am I best registering a .ie or .co.uk or even .com domain? What provider do people recommend for hosting? .... The site will require a purchasing function so account creation, secure checkout etc.. I assume I will need to register the business here in the North?

In theory you need them all. .Com is very easy to get and you don't want any "smart" people to "steal" your brand and direct traffic to their domain instead.

Potentially, you also need the .ie and .co.uk if you want to sell in Ireland and UK. Visit why.ie to understand how the .IE works.

Hosting... there are billions of providers, I would start with a low-cost one that you might be able to upgrade in the future, if the business grows.

Same thing for buying online, use PayPal / Google Checkout instead of investing money in custom built shopping carts. They charge you only if you sell.

Hope it helps :)

Advertisement