Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another new phone recommendation

Options
  • 12-10-2011 3:37pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

I'm sure you get this alot here but here goes...:)

My last two phones have both been Nokia 6303i. Both cost 99 quid, I had not alot of problems with either until recently. The first one started fecking up, battery was finished I think wouldnt turn on anymore. Think I had it around two years I would say. 2nd one I got last month with Vodafone disappointingly the same price and even worse, long story short had an accident this week and phone fell into water. Again it seems pretty banjaxed no coverage it wont ring anymore. I dont know if I have any chance of a refund anyone? Guess not since it was in water...:(

Anyway I'll try answer the set questions:
    What features are important to you in a phone? (i.e. camera, gps, FM radio, Stereo Bluetooth)

I'm unsure yet whether to get a cheap phone to get by or a more expensive one because I'm a broke student. If it was an expensive one I would like to be able to watch videos and films from it at a decent speed, particularly films. Facebook, usual internet stuff would be handy also.

Form factor - i.e. touchscreen, slider, flip phone, etc.

Not too mad on a touch screen at all really dont think they are for me but every new expensive phone seems to have one so maybe I will have to get with the times.

Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or WiFi/EDGE
    I'd say WIFI would be important

Operator - have you an operator preference
    I'm Vodafone now and my family are so its useful for free texts/calls to same network, but if I found another good deal I would think about it.

Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - have you a preference for either
    Pre Pay would probably be best but I seem to be going through serious credit now at college so Im not sure anymore....:confused:

Price range

Heres the tricky part. I dont have much money and I need a phone before Chistmas. I could splash out but I would really prefer to have a phone no more than €250/€300 at the very most, cheaper if possible.
    Just because I dont to have to be worried all the time about keeping it safe because I would use it alot.

I guess that isnt very specific because I'm not sure fully what I want yet, but some advice would be appreciated!

Was looking at some HTC Android phones and they look absolutely unreal but a bit out of my price range unfortunately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Broke Student, hard to look past the Galaxy Europa on 3 for €49, doesn't matter if some of the family are on vodafone as you have free texts to all networks all the time and free calls to every network at the weekend, You also get unlimited internet on it, it's also got WIFI.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Broke Student, hard to look past the Galaxy Europa on 3 for €49, doesn't matter if some of the family are on vodafone as you have free texts to all networks all the time and free calls to every network at the weekend, You also get unlimited internet on it, it's also got WIFI.
    Definitely considering it, the phone looks great. I'm afraid I would rather stick with vodafone though for free calls during the week.

Sadly they seem to be alot dearer and they dont even have that phone on offer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Have a look on donedeal, loads of BRAND NEW + BOXED Samsung Galaxy SII's on it for around 300, best phone out there imo. Rather than buying an inferior phone from a store for the same price it might be an option?

FearDark wrote: »
    Have a look on donedeal, loads of BRAND NEW + BOXED Samsung Galaxy SII's on it for around 300, best phone out there imo. Rather than buying an inferior phone from a store for the same price it might be an option?

The thing about done deal is though half the adverts on their are dodgey I've heard.

Lets be honest if some of them phones are for sale for 200 euros less than face value and boxed brand new, they sound stolen.

I'm looking now at it now though.

I'm actually considering getting the Galaxy from 3 and then unlocking it and sticking in my vodafone sim. Thats how that unlocking thing works aint it?:)

Although I'd say they may not be too pleased if I ask for the unlock code in the shop and 3 apparently charge for unlocking....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

DB10 wrote: »
    The thing about done deal is though half the adverts on their are dodgey I've heard.

Lets be honest if some of them phones are for sale for 200 euros less than face value and boxed brand new, they sound stolen.

I'm looking now at it now though.

Well generally thats why you test the phone yourself before handing out any money.

Only time i ended up with a dodgy phone was because i didnt pay attention to certain details. Lesson learned.

If your weary about it ;) Write out a page stating important transaction plans and get the seller to sign it. Otherwise no cash

Advertisement