Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flickering lights

Options
  • 12-10-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi.

Whenever anything electical in our house is switched on or used the lights throughout the house flicker slightly.

Was wondering if there is possibly an issue with wiring or breakers or if this is common.

Does anyone know if this can be stopped

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the problem is at the consumer unit

or esbn

get a spark to take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

agree with m cebee
    probably not a diy fix
    dont wait too long to get a sparks to look at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

When you say "anything", what would they be thats getting switched on? It would not be unusual to see a very slight flicker just when a heavy load is switched on, such as an instant shower. The lights get very slightly dimmer due to the heavy load on the cable supplying the house, and go back up again when the load is switched off.

This would be more noticable on older networks such as overhead lines outside supplying the house.

If its a continuous flickering after something is switched on, then there is a problem at or before the consumer unit alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lighting_Man

It is very common for circuits in a house to be (err) amended and added to without taking into account the loads at the consumer unit or on the incoming supply.

Many houses are classic examples with the number of sockets being doubled or tripled in many rooms without considering the old consumer unit. Worse case I've seen was the replacement of a din rail transformer for a bell with a 16 amp MCB for an extension on a consumer unit that was already well loaded.

So get someone in to check the loading on your circuits, the consumer unit and the rating of the incoming supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I'm with Robbie on this as my house lights dim slightly when our Triton electric shower is switched on and they get bright again when it gets switched off.

Apart from that I've had no electrical problems in my 4 year old new build (with the exception of a fused immersion heater, fused shower switch, fused cooker switch, plug wiring coming loose, light switch wiring coming loose, heating timer fusing etc etc etc). Good job he was an ECSSA certified electrician or I would have been in real trouble:rolleyes:. And yes I'm being sarcastic as all they advised was contact the electrician to sort our your problems and guess what, he wouldn't answer his phone. Oh I love this self regulation we have in this country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement