Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to fly with a stutter possible (radio operation)

Options
  • 12-10-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Ladies and Gents,

I've had a stutter all my life. Sometimes it's unbearble, other times it's barely noticeable. I guess this is normal. I did a little bit of speech therapy when I was in school (many many years ago), but it didn't improve very much.

Anyway, long story painful, I've tried to never let my stutter hold me back. Job interviews - I get nervous and stuck, but people are nice and wait for me.

I've always wanted to get my private pilots license, but I know that a large part of it is operating the radio. I can see why a person with a stutter might be precluded from getting a PPL based on this. I mean, radio operation is a pretty integral safety feature of flying nowadays.

Have any of you fine people with speech disorders ever tried to get a PPL? Any information would be useful. I sent an e-mail to a pilots school a few years back explaining my predicament, but got no response.

Thanks,
    Alan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Hi Alan,

I think of know of someone in the US who is a pilot and stammers. Think they might be on Twitter, I'll find out and get back to you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bill G

Don't let it slow you down, Alan. While the radio work is a required part of the license, you can actually fly in the majority of Ireland without ever talking on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Alan, I got the Twitter details of the pilot, it's www.twitter.com/awacrj

If you're on Twitter you should send him a Tweet and get some advice off him. I'm not an expert but I'd imagine a lot of what is said on the radio would be in a "script" as such. You could practise speaking the script and perhaps develop a technique to help you.

If you're comfortable with hearing stuttering jokes, check this video out, the comedian is a stutterer himself...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Stephen P wrote: »
    Alan, I got the Twitter details of the pilot, it's www.twitter.com/awacrj

If you're on Twitter you should send him a Tweet and get some advice off him. I'm not an expert but I'd imagine a lot of what is said on the radio would be in a "script" as such. You could practise speaking the script and perhaps develop a technique to help you.

If you're comfortable with hearing stuttering jokes, check this video out, the comedian is a stutterer himself...

Thanks Stephen. Much appreciated.

Advertisement