Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappointing in the modding and ban in Dublin City Thread

Options
  • 12-10-2011 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭

I have to say I was a tad disappointed at the banning of a poster for what outwardly looks like he expressed his opinion quite clearly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056416786&page=4

Where he disagreed with the sentiments of a Mod, a differing of opinions he was shut down. he did provide some stats to back up his feelings (crap stats or otherwise) they were still stats.

I dont feel in any way this ban was justified and looks more like a muscle stretch of power on behalf of the mods in this case.

Needed to be said.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

listermint wrote: »
    I have to say I was a tad disappointed at the banning of a poster for what outwardly looks like he expressed his opinion quite clearly.

Tbf, the ban wasn't issued because the user just expressed an opinion, nor indeed is it for the way he expressed it (although, the thread ban may have been for that reason). What it in fact was for was "arguing with mod instruction on thread" - which is a great deal different to the impression you are giving here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not really my business but I was on that thread and I thought his general tone was out of keeping with what is a pretty laid back and friendly forum.

And he was given more than ample warning to wind it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

stovelid wrote: »
    Not really my business but I was on that thread and I thought his general tone was out of keeping with what is a pretty laid back and friendly forum.

And he was given more than ample warning to wind it in.

+1, belligerent, argumentative and pedantic about stuff that's really unnecessary to be looking for explanations of for the sake of picking a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'd have banned him sooner, all he was doing was trolling from the word Go. Posted half a dozen times before presenting any 'facts' just inferred that other posters were overreacting, or stupid, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm the mod who banned him.

Myself and my co-mod discussed the thread a while before the banning, and the user in particular.

We were hisitant to pull the trigger based on the contents of his posts - everyone is entitled to their opinion after all.

However, the Dublin City Forum has a certain atmosphere, which as said by stovelid above, is pretty laid back and friendly forum, where people will discuss the city, where to find things, where to drink, where to eat, what a building is, what bus to get, how long to get from a to b etc etc, all in a firendly, non-confrontational manner.

The tone of the posts by this user in that thread was the issue, and he was asked, by a mod, to alter his tone - nothing to do with the moderator agreeing or disagreeing with the content of the posts.

The user then argued with the moderator instruction, and as per the Boards-wide rule, was banned for 7 Days from the forum for this.

I don't see the problem here.

And I don't see why the good name of the moderators of the Dublin City Forum are being sullied by the OP. Although, I suppose it will be allowed stand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

After numerous warnings he continued to argue, in thread, with a Mod.
    Ban deserved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement