Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Has Martin McGuinness Ever Done For The Republic of Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I do think that part of the problem was that the majority in the South just weren't aware of the reality.

I agree - but I also think the majority in NI have/had no idea of the reality 'down here' - McG seems to share that lack of awareness - it is all very well to state he will be a president for 32 counties, when he has yet to discuss the reality of life in the majority of those counties in anything but the vaguest terms. He is running on his record in 6 of those 32 - yet the position he seeks is to be head of the other 26. I am not questioning his record in NI - I'm saying he has no comparable record in the actual jurisdiction he is running for election in - and comes across as disinterested in life in the 'south'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I agree - but I also think the majority in NI have/had no idea of the reality 'down here' - McG seems to share that lack of awareness - it is all very well to state he will be a president for 32 counties, when he has yet to discuss the reality of life in the majority of those counties in anything but the vaguest terms. He is running on his record in 6 of those 32 - yet the position he seeks is to be head of the other 26. I am not questioning his record in NI - I'm saying he has no comparable record in the actual jurisdiction he is running for election in - and comes across as disinterested in life in the 'south'.

I don't think you can say that to be honest. SF are very engaged in the Dail and constitutional politics here. I think if the media shifted it's ridiculous focus and hidden agenda we might get people like you some answers. But I think I may be dreaming there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I don't think you can say that to be honest. SF are very engaged in the Dail and constitutional politics here. I think if the media shifted it's ridiculous focus and hidden agenda we might get people like you some answers. But I think I may be dreaming there.

McGuinness isn't a SF candidate - remember?

alastair wrote: »
    McGuinness isn't a SF candidate - remember?

Why are you so concerned with his SF past then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Ah - but McGuinness is not a SF candidate now is he - he is running as an independent ;). Even if he were - I am not looking at the Labour Party's track record when considering Higgins...so why should I look at SF's when looking at McGuinness? The presidency is, after all, meant to be above party politics :p. I can only assess McG on his track record in the 26 counties - the reality is he doesn't have one...

• Advertisement

Why are you so concerned with his SF past then? :D

I'm not remotely interested in his SF past - it's his IRA past that most people have concerns about. And if he's not a SF candidate, you can't really claim that the SF role in the republic is anything to do with him, can you? He's running on his own record.

I can only assess McG on his track record in the 26 counties - the reality is he doesn't have one...

Except for transporting explosives.

I'm not remotely interested in his SF past - it's his IRA past that most people have concerns about. And if he's not a SF candidate, you can't really claim that the SF role in the republic is anything to do with him, can you? He's running on his own record.

But...but ...he's not running as an IRA man. :rolleyes:

Ah - but McGuinness is not a SF candidate now is he - he is running as an independent ;). Even if he were - I am not looking at the Labour Party's track record when considering Higgins...so why should I look at SF's when looking at McGuinness? The presidency is, after all, meant to be above party politics :p. I can only assess McG on his track record in the 26 counties - the reality is he doesn't have one...

So what has MDH contributed outside the Labour Party? Poems?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

jank wrote: »
    Actually it is the reverse that is the case. If you call someone say a rapist, then you have to put forward evidence to base your case.
    I can call your mother a witch and 500 years ago that accusation alone would probably have been sufficient to have her burned at the stake. Now we have a court of law that one has to submit evidence.

I hear all these things about Martin McGuinness but no evidence from anyone in the media or here.

pity the same rules of evidence were not used for some of their victims

• Advertisement

But...but ...he's not running as an IRA man. :rolleyes:

He is a Provo running for president. It's part of his personal record. A part he'd like us to forget admittedly, but there you go.

He is a Provo running for president. It's part of his personal record. A part he'd like us to forget admittedly, but there you go.

And his membership of SF is not part of his personal record?
    Running with the hare and hunting with the hounds Alastair???

And his membership of SF is not part of his personal record?
    Running with the hare and hunting with the hounds Alastair???

He said he's not a SF candidate. I'm simply reminding you where people's concerns regarding him lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

jank wrote: »
    My 2nd cousin is a priest, he belongs to an organisation that oversaw the abuse and rape of children. Should I then say that my cousin is a rapist? Like I have no proof that he did but he belongs to the catholic church. Guilt by association seems to be de jour on boards.ie and the wider media.
    In 1973, McGuinness was convicted by the Special Criminal Court of possession of over 100kilos of explosives and around 5,000 rounds of ammo. He spent six months in prison.

In 1974 he was convicted of membership of the IRA and again sentenced to Portlaoise.

So, we're not exactly talking about a comparable issue. If your second cousin was arrested and charged of the crime, then it's reasonable to deduce that he was involved.

He said he's not a SF candidate. I'm simply reminding you where people's concerns regarding him lie.

Yeh...you said.... 'he's a Provo running for President'!

Yeh...you said.... 'he's a Provo running for President'!

That wasn't too difficult now, was it?

That wasn't too difficult now, was it?

:D Some votes aren't worth having.
    Martin's loss is David's gain!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

'Living under suspicion
    Putting up with the hatred and fear in their eyes
    You can see that you're nothing but a murderer
    In their eyes, we're nothing but a bunch of murderers ', as Paul Brady says.

The Strabane man had a few things to say about people trying to bomb their way to freedom too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I wonder if Martin is elected president of Ireland and he goes on a trade mission with a government minister and there's an offer of jobs for Ireland but from his contacts in the NI assembly he knows these jobs are also on offer to NI what would he do?

Go with his old constituency or his new constituency?

K-9 wrote: »
    The Strabane man had a few things to say about people trying to bomb their way to freedom too.

He changed his viewpoint....shock horror!

• Advertisement

I don't think Paul Brady changed his viewpoint at all - he was no friend to apologists for violence at any point.

I don't think Paul Brady changed his viewpoint at all - he was no friend to apologists for violence at any point.

Arthur McBride?

But then maybe he was one of the deniers, happy to sing about it, but of course, :eek: 'it has nothing to do with me'!

Arthur McBride?

But then maybe he was one of the deniers, happy to sing about it, but of course, :eek: 'it has nothing to do with me'!

What's the 'it' you think he's singing about?
    “Up here we sacrifice our children
    To feed the worn-out dreams of yesterday “

What's the 'it' you think he's singing about?

Way off topic. But from his earlier career, the word of Arthur McBride.

And then Arthur and I we soon drew our hods
    And we scarce gave them time for to draw their own blades
    When a trusty shillelagh came over their heads
    And bade them take that as fair warning

And their old rusty rapiers that hung by their side
    We flung them as far as we could in the tide
    "Now take them out, Divils!", cried Arthur McBride
    "And temper their edge in the morning".
    And the little wee drummer we flattened his pow
    And we made a football of his rowdeydowdow
    Threw it in the tide for to rock and to row
    And bade it a tedious returning

And we having no money, paid them off in cracks
    And we paid no respect to their two bloody backs
    For we lathered them there like a pair of wet sacks
    And left them for dead in the morning.

Way off topic. But from his earlier career, the word of Arthur McBride.

And then Arthur and I we soon drew our hods
    And we scarce gave them time for to draw their own blades
    When a trusty shillelagh came over their heads
    And bade them take that as fair warning

And their old rusty rapiers that hung by their side
    We flung them as far as we could in the tide
    "Now take them out, Divils!", cried Arthur McBride
    "And temper their edge in the morning".
    And the little wee drummer we flattened his pow
    And we made a football of his rowdeydowdow
    Threw it in the tide for to rock and to row
    And bade it a tedious returning

And we having no money, paid them off in cracks
    And we paid no respect to their two bloody backs
    For we lathered them there like a pair of wet sacks
    And left them for dead in the morning.

You do realise he didn't write that - it's a traditional number, and it has nothing to do with republicanism?

You do realise he didn't write that - it's a traditional number, and it has nothing to do with republicanism?

:D:D 'They made me sing it your honour'!

You need to allow people to change Alastair. Swallow hard and try it yourself. Very redemptive.

:D:D 'They made me sing it your honour'!

You need to allow people to change Alastair. Swallow hard and try it yourself. Very redemptive.

You need to acknowledge that Paul Brady never supported the IRA - he was consistently and vocally opposed to violence. He sang lots of other traditional songs about pixies and seductive gypsys too - but that doesn't mean he advocated either - look to his own writing to see a consistent line against political violence - and the damage it caused for the people of NI.

You need to acknowledge that Paul Brady never supported the IRA

Where did I say that? God you are getting kinda desperate on two threads.

Where did I say that? God you are getting kinda desperate on two threads.

I see the desperation alright:
    Happyman wrote:
    Originally Posted by K-9

• Advertisement

I see the desperation alright:

So all people of Republican persuasion where in The IRA? :D:D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement