Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Has Martin McGuinness Ever Done For The Republic of Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Happyman42 wrote: »
    So all people of Republican persuasion where in The IRA? :D:D:D:D

I think the point he is making is that Brady opposed the armed campaign, contrary to the impression I got from your first post about him. Anyway, think it's cleared up now!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

So all people of Republican persuasion where in The IRA? :D:D:D:D

I think we both know that the republican people blowing things up were, for the most part, in the IRA. That's the crowd you're wrongly suggesting Paul Brady 'changed his mind' about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

phog wrote: »
    I wonder if Martin is elected president of Ireland and he goes on a trade mission with a government minister and there's an offer of jobs for Ireland but from his contacts in the NI assembly he knows these jobs are also on offer to NI what would he do?

Go with his old constituency or his new constituency?
    does a goalkeeper save the ball when playing against his former club?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

jank wrote: »
    So you admit you are wrong?

The truth to see is all over the place ,in media,web,tv and books ,old newspapers to see that Marty mcguinness is a liar and probably still member of PIRA ,its up to mcguinness to come forward with proof he's not ,till then he's quilty and Liar
    so you prove he's not ,and don't care what he said as marty Lies.
    so show us proof he has left PIRA and then get information to the PIRA killers of paddy Kelly the Irish Defense forces soldier .

The truth to see is all over the place ,in media,web,tv and books ,old newspapers to see that Marty mcguinness is a liar and probably still member of PIRA ,its up to mcguinness to come forward with proof he's not ,till then he's quilty and Liar
    so show us proof he has left PIRA and then get information to the PIRA killers of paddy Kelly the Irish Defense forces soldier .
    Out of curiosity what would suffice as evidence? and had you heard of Paddy Kelly before last week?

• Advertisement

Your mothers a witch, show proof she is not...:pac::rolleyes:
    We can do this all day.

when you stop with petty childish comments ,then show PROOF
    that Marty mcguinnes isn't in PIRA member now and also details ( official details) he left.
    also while your at it,show us he's not lying ,maybe good start would be giving paddy kelly's killers names and details
    cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

In 1973, McGuinness was convicted by the Special Criminal Court of possession of over 100kilos of explosives and around 5,000 rounds of ammo. He spend six months in prison.

In 1974 he was convicted of membership of the IRA and again sentenced to Portlaoise.

So, we're not exactly talking about a comparable issue. If your second cousin was arrested and charged of the crime, then it's reasonable to deduce that he was involved.

So if you are convicted of being a member of the IRA you are therefore a murderer by proxy. My GranMa and my grand uncle must have been keeping secrets from me so!

Also two words. GUILDFORD FOUR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yes because everything ever written onto a piece of paper must be true!

So if you are convicted of being a member of the IRA you are therefore a murderer by proxy. My GranMa and my grand uncle must have been keeping secrets from me so!

Also two words. GUILDFORD FOUR.

Except he admitted he was in the IRA and has never denied it since!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

What is this Sinn Fein propaganda you keep talking about?? and Mcguinness didn't cause the troubes as I said before there are a number of reasons the troubles started, mainly social reasons and civil rights.
    Most sinn fein nothing, sinn fein accepted the Belfast agreement anyone who didn't like it split with them and thats why we have problems now (e.g the bomb in Derry). A lot has changed in 30 years its naive to say nothing has changed. Are you going to keep on with this empty rhetoric or do you have any actual problems you want to address.
    P.S please try to phrase your posts better it makes for easier reading, and don't tell me I'm only saying it because I don't like what you're saying again, thats not the case I'm open for debate

propaganda sf put out is blame others for all but they where involved with it.
    When PIRA killing people witht their bombs and by passers on the streets,it was war was there excuse as did uvf and others,
    They had no choice but to agree to good friday agreement as theire support base for funds and arms was getting smaller,hence robbing banks and post offices in the south,remember gerry Mc cabe killing adare
    PIRA said like did sinn fein did what suited them and made excuses for everything else.

• Advertisement

Yes because everything ever written onto a piece of paper must be true!

The answer i expected but not answered :rolleyes:

propaganda sf put out is blame others for all but they where involved with it.
    When PIRA killing people witht their bombs and by passers on the streets,it was war was there excuse as did uvf and others,
    They had no choice but to agree to good friday agreement as theire support base for funds and arms was getting smaller,hence robbing banks and post offices in the south,remember gerry Mc cabe killing adare
    PIRA said like did sinn fein did what suited them and made excuses for everything else.
    yep they were deeply involved in it, you implied they cause it though so i take it this is a retraction.
    The IRA robbed banks and post offices for funding not because they were losing support but because it would have been a quicker easier way of getting money, they had contacts internationally. I'm not really sure what some parts of this post mean sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,953 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Got my Martin McGuinness literature through the post yesterday. In it there's a small bit of text at bottom that says something like "Get involved in the campaign by texting the following". And they give 2 numbers, and it says before each either 26 counties: or 6 counties.

Now if this man wants to be the president of this country, maybe he should refer to it as such...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I suppose it could be said that by making the peace process work so well in the Six Counties and working so smoothly with Ian Paisley and Peter Robinson, Martin McGuinness has done quite a lot of good for all of Ireland. Things are certainly better everywhere on the island compared with the situation while the violence was still going on.:)

Apart from winning the Eurovision song contest and in the process making a good deal of money for herself in the course of her subsequent career, what has Dana done for Ireland, for that matter?:D

I can hardly wait to see how she handles the interview on TV3 later this evening. It will certainly be interesting to see how she explains herself.

According to this article (and I have no way of knowing whether or not it is true) http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Danas-brother-accused-of-molesting-sisters-child-131838148.html her brother-in-law accused her (Dana's) brother of molesting his (the brother-in-law's) child. That is a very serious allegation indeed.:eek:

Yet Dana complained about the media a few days ago and spoke of a family disagreement that had subsequently been settled. The question she ought to be asked now is how it was settled. Did her brother-in-law (called Stein) withdraw the allegation? And if he did, why did he make such a false allegation in the first place?

And why did Dana not either report the matter to the police since child sex abuse was claimed, or else have Stein brought to book for having made such a serious and unfounded accusation?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

K-9 wrote: »
    Except he admitted he was in the IRA and has never denied it since!

whch shows he's being honest, as the easy answer was to deny ever being in the IRA. As previous posters have pointed out, if the 'facts' about his being in the ira were actually facts, Im sure we'd know about it by now, especially since the PSNI should have all the info.

They obviously dont, so really, all you've pointed out is that mmg hasnt lied about his IRA past.

maccored wrote: »
    whch shows he's being honest, as the easy answer was to deny ever being in the IRA.

Kind of hard to do, given that he said he was in the IRA when charged in court. Easy to be honest when that bird has flown - it's the subsequent years he's been lying through his teeth about.

yep they were deeply involved in it, you implied they cause it though so i take it this is a retraction.
    The IRA robbed banks and post offices for funding not because they were losing support but because it would have been a quicker easier way of getting money, they had contacts internationally. I'm not really sure what some parts of this post mean sorry.
    A retraction of what ?
    i don't retract anything
    I don't trust or believe anything m mcguinness says and he's a Liar,that was show during the week with David Kelly when he asked about the killers of his father ,when mcguinness denied ,David called him a Liar,would you trust a ex terrorist ,do you believe mcguinness has the state of Ireland interests only ,Meaning only the 26 counties which only make up sate of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

alastair wrote: »
    Kind of hard to do, given that he said he was in the IRA when charged in court. Easy to be honest when that bird has flown - it's the subsequent years he's been lying through his teeth about.

Can you explain why he or Adams was never arrested all through the rest of the troubles if this evidence was so blatant.
    Remember at one stage he could have been lifted solely on the word of the Garda Commissioner.

maccored wrote: »
    whch shows he's being honest, as the easy answer was to deny ever being in the IRA. As previous posters have pointed out, if the 'facts' about his being in the ira were actually facts, Im sure we'd know about it by now, especially since the PSNI should have all the info.

They obviously dont, so really, all you've pointed out is that mmg hasnt lied about his IRA past.

I doubt he was thinking about his future political career in 1973! Plenty of IRA members openly admitted in court that they were members.

All that means is they never took a case, though I suppose as Vincent Browne made the point well, maybe all the PSNI, Garda, Minister for Justices, respected and impartial journalists and historians are wrong and he is telling the truth. And maybe Bertie did win the money on the horses.

Out of curiosity what would suffice as evidence? and had you heard of Paddy Kelly before last week?

Tell public the truth and show proof of his membership and verified by garda and justice department in the state of Ireland,
    Also the PIRA killers of Paddy Kelly and where the body's of family members are buried so they can have peace in there family.
    did i hear of Paddy Kelly,yes ,there was a lot on tv then about the north every week,sometimes few times a week.
    in the beginning i supported what the nationalists where doing but then other things came to light,When they started killing Irish people and The excuse of killing the innocent as causalities of war.
    Then they crossed the border and killed people on this site, That was last straw, Then Gerry Mc Cabe killing by PIRA murders showed me nothing had change.
    When SINN FEIN sent A CAR TO PICKUP KILLERS OF GERRY MC CABE AND celebrated it,That shows that Sinn fein haven't changed and they can't ,Not know
    SINN FEIN have NO IDEA how much the killing of GERRY MC CABE AFFECTED PEOPLE IN LIMERICK AND MUNSTER and generally around Ireland ,
    When the PIRA KILLERS got released by pressure by SINN FEIN party with GERRY ADAMS AND MARTIN MC GUINNESS putting pressure on Irish government too release them,
    Then INSULTED GERRY MC CABE FAMILY and people in general with celebrating the killers release.
    IF i see anyone for sinn fein ,they will get peace of my mind and door in their face as that is what they deserve,
    And I know a lot of people who feel the same.

• Advertisement

Can you explain why he or Adams was never arrested all through the rest of the troubles if this evidence was so blatant.
    Remember at one stage he could have been lifted solely on the word of the Garda Commissioner.

Was David Ervine arrested for his UVF membership? No he was not.
    Does that mean he wasn't a member? Clearly not.

Was David Ervine arrested for his UVF membership? No he was not.
    Does that mean he wasn't a member? Clearly not.

So what are you getting upset about if the powers-that-be clearly aren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Can anyone list things that Martin McGuinness has done for the people of the 26 county Republic of Ireland or anything which has made our lives and Country a better place?

Is he just a one trick pony or has he got something else up his sleeve after singlehandedly bringing peace to the 6 counties of Northern Ireland?

Without mention of Northern Ireland what do people see his contribution consisting of if he is elected president of the Republic of Ireland?

What has Gay Mitchell ever done for the Republic or Ireland? Or Dana and Gallagher?

I don't really know a huge amount about McGuinness but he's more likely to have done something worthwhile than the shower of ejjits I listed above.

So what are you getting upset about if the powers-that-be clearly aren't?

I'm not upset at all - I'm explaining why there's not a hope of the man getting elected with the baggage he's chosen to carry.

I'm not upset at all - I'm explaining why there's not a hope of the man getting elected with the baggage he's chosen to carry.

I must have missed that. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

K-9 wrote: »
    I doubt he was thinking about his future political career in 1973! Plenty of IRA members openly admitted in court that they were members.

All that means is they never took a case, though I suppose as Vincent Browne made the point well, maybe all the PSNI, Garda, Minister for Justices, respected and impartial journalists and historians are wrong and he is telling the truth. And maybe Bertie did win the money on the horses.

Adams was and still is an incredibly astute political brain. You don't survive as leader of a party like that if you aren't.
    He knew at a very young age how to radicalise the middle class at Ballymurphy Church.
    So I have no problem believing that he and McG would have been aware that any overt association/membership of the IRA would hamper political progress.
    Once again with electoral supremacy in the North it would seem it was a smart move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Tell public the truth and show proof of his membership and verified by garda and justice department in the state of Ireland,
    Also the PIRA killers of Paddy Kelly and where the body's of family members are buried so they can have peace in there family.
    did i hear of Paddy Kelly,yes ,there was a lot on tv then about the north every week,sometimes few times a week.
    in the beginning i supported what the nationalists where doing but then other things came to light,When they started killing Irish people and The excuse of killing the innocent as causalities of war.
    Then they crossed the border and killed people on this site, That was last straw, Then Gerry Mc Cabe killing by PIRA murders showed me nothing had change.
    When SINN FEIN sent A CAR TO PICKUP KILLERS OF GERRY MC CABE AND celebrated it,That shows that Sinn fein haven't changed and they can't ,Not know
    SINN FEIN have NO IDEA how much the killing of GERRY MC CABE AFFECTED PEOPLE IN LIMERICK AND MUNSTER and generally around Ireland ,
    When the PIRA KILLERS got released by pressure by SINN FEIN party with GERRY ADAMS AND MARTIN MC GUINNESS putting pressure on Irish government too release them,
    Then INSULTED GERRY MC CABE FAMILY and people in general with celebrating the killers release.
    IF i see anyone for sinn fein ,they will get peace of my mind and door in their face as that is what they deserve,
    And I know a lot of people who feel the same.

I doubt whether you are even Irish, as your grasp of English grammar and idiom is deplorable.:eek::eek: Therefore it is unlikely that you can vote here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I doubt whether you are even Irish, as your grasp of English grammar and idiom is deplorable.:eek::eek: Therefore it is unlikely that you can vote here.

Might have a learning disability. Not trying to be funny.

Ellis Dee wrote: »

why is it when supporters don't like what you say
    they resort to petty childish comments like this
    but you must understand it if you gave this sad comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzvpMlHuIrs&feature=related

• Advertisement

Might have a learning disability. Not trying to be funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzvpMlHuIrs&feature=related

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement