Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Has Martin McGuinness Ever Done For The Republic of Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Common misconception, but it was clarified by Costello when the bill was going to be struck down for being unconstitutional. It doesn't purport to change the name of the nation, it merely clarifies that the nation is a republic (an issue that actually was not clear prior to the 1948 Act).

The name/description difference has been very confusing for some people, but needless to say in order to be correct, you must call the country Éire or Ireland, but you can refer to it as being a republic.

Cliff notes: describing Ireland as the Republic of Ireland is not fine; describing Ireland as a republic is fine.

It is acceptable to call it the Republic of Ireland according to the statute book and it is useful because it allows the person to make clear that they are talking about the 26 counties, rather than all 32 in counties in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

phog wrote: »
    I've no agenda against you.

I find that hard to believe.

If you cant take the cut and thrust of this forum you can always stop posting garbage.

Show me where I posted garbage, thanks.
    Just because a poster puts the word fact in their post doesn't actually make it fact. Fact.

That is true. But what I posted is documented fact and has even been admitted in public by the person in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Well to me you're a coward,comfortable to sit back and judge people for things you more than likely have no grasp of.

What ? You'd view me as a "coward" because I wouldn't attack someone who had nothing whatsoever to do with the crime, and had done nothing wrong to me ?

Absolutely farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I find that hard to believe.

You'll have to take my word for it but if you still feel I have an agenda against you then please use the report post button under any post I make and let the forum mod decide. I'll gladly take my chances.
    Show me where I posted garbage, thanks.
    Without searching for too long , here's an example:
    Should you not be watching the X-Factor with the rest of the sheep?
    That is true. But what I posted is documented fact and has even been admitted in public by the person in question

Have you a link?

Even if she did consider joining , she obviously didn't as more the better for it. as she was a fine president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    If someone burned your family out of their house what would you do?

Whatever it was, it would be targetted at those who burned my family and not at innocent third parties.
    Grow a set chief.

I have a set. I just don't use them to think and reason with.
    Well to me you're a coward,comfortable to sit back and judge people for things you more than likely have no grasp of.

• Advertisement

Are you seriously suggesting that all crimes against your property or family should be dealth with by taking up arms and bombs?

So you said, and it was bull**** the first time; no need to post it twice.

What ? You'd view me as a "coward" because I wouldn't attack someone who had nothing whatsoever to do with the crime, and had done nothing wrong to me ?

Absolutely farcical.
    Would you attack someone who attacked your house and family?

If you say yes then you do agree that sometimes situations force people into things they wouldn't usually do.

But no doubt you will say no and give your opinion about something you have never experienced.

Are you seriously suggesting that all crimes against your property or family should be dealth with by taking up arms and bombs?

Don't bother phog, because I even acknowledged that someone could be justified going after whoever did it, but drew the line at going after unrelated and innocent third parties, and I still got abused.

The real cowards were the ones who left bombs on the sides of streets and then watched them rip people apart from the comfort of their own homes.

Even Al-Quaida (whom I despise) at least believed in their actions enough to be there when those actions murdered people.

If you say yes then you do agree that sometimes situations force people into things they wouldn't usually do.

But no doubt you will say no and give your opinion about something you have never experienced.

Condoning violence is against the charter (supposedly) and so I can't answer directly.

But there's never been a question in my mind of whether someone who DIRECTLY attacked me might deserve a reaction......so that's not actually "something I wouldn't normally do".....I'd stand over that and anyone's right to do that.

The issue, however, is the attacks on and murder of innocent third parties.

There's nothing cowardly in opting out of condoning that.

• Advertisement

Absolutely,eye for an eye tooth for a tooth,it might be morally wrong but this is life,and If someone attacks me or my property,well I aint waiting around to hear their side of the story in court.

Absolutely,eye for an eye tooth for a tooth,it might be morally wrong but this is life,and If someone attacks me or my property,well I aint waiting around to hear their side of the story in court.

OK. So what is your view on going out and blowing up other people who had nothing to do with attacking your property ? Because that's my issue with the IRA, despite your attempts to indicate anything different.

So you have no time for law and order? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Have you a link?

McAleese's cousin spent time in Long Kesh for IRA activities, John spent 27 days on Hunger Strike at one point. She used to help make petrol bombs to defend the Ardoyne from Brit and Loyalist incursions.
    President Mary McAleese has revealed how she turned her back on violence after her father stopped her from making petrol bombs as a teenager.
    Belfast Telegraph
    2nd November 2004

Also, it's documented in the book 'The Road from Ardoyne: The Making of a President'

Condoning violence is against the charter (supposedly) and so I can't answer directly.

But there's never been a question in my mind of whether someone who DIRECTLY attacked me might deserve a reaction......so that's not actually "something I wouldn't normally do".....I'd stand over that and anyone's right to do that.

The issue, however, is the attacks on and murder of innocent third parties.

There's nothing cowardly in opting out of condoning that.
    Another long answer that answers none of the questions I asked.by the way I accidentally posted twice,no need to curse at me in telling me this.

Another long answer that answers none of the questions I asked.

It does, actually, but you don't want to see the answer because it poses questions that might make you distinguish between whoever attacked your house and those who had nothing to do with it.
    by the way I accidentally posted twice,no need to curse at me in telling me this.

I didn't curse at you; I pointed out that your accusation of my being a coward was bull****.

So you have no time for law and order? :eek:
    Law and order in Ireland!now I know you're taking the mick....

It does, actually, but you don't want to see the answer because it poses questions that might make you distinguish between whoever attacked your house and those who had nothing to do with it.
    by the way I accidentally posted twice,no need to curse at me in telling me this.

I didn't curse at you; I pointed out that your accusation of my being a coward was bull****.
    But you just cursed again?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Handbags galore in the last few posts. :o

But you just cursed again?

Sheesh! OK - let's assume that you retracted your ridiculous and slanderous accusation of my being a coward.

And let's also pretend, for a second, that your last 4 posts aren't simply designed to avoid answering the question.

Can you or can you not see a distinction between going after whoever burned down your house and randomly attacking someone else ?

• Advertisement

McAleese's cousin spent time in Long Kesh for IRA activities, John spent 27 days on Hunger Strike at one point. She used to help make petrol bombs to defend the Ardoyne from Brit and Loyalist incursions.

Also, it's documented in the book 'The Road from Ardoyne: The Making of a President'

Interesting heading but I'd like to read the full article.

Anyway as I've already posted, she wasnt a member, I'm sure thousands considered joining and took the peaceful route.

With people having an eye for eye attitude then I can see how you have difficulty in accepting that we have law and order in our country.

BTW - Do you disagee with the GFA and the peace movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Unlike yourself, I don't like repeating myself, especially to people with agendas. I've answered your question. You may not like the answer, but that's your problem.

only people with agenda here is sf supporters and you didn't answer question ,but i can see you can't
    we see what other questions you will avoid in posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I wouldn't bother FL, it's pointless.
    There are those on here that only have a problem with the IRA bombing people.
    It's seems it's alight if you are Winston Churchill and you carpet bomb cities and kill thousands upon thousands of unprotected men, women and children to spread terror and weaken resolve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

Article 29.5.1 of Bunreacht na hEireann (Constitution of the Republic of Ireland), which clearly states: "Every international agreement to which the State becomes a party shall be laid before Dail Eireann".

Ireland still has not laid the Aarhus Convention Agreement before the dail to be either ratified or rejected. FF, FG, Labour and SF cannot be trusted to abide by the Constitution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

I've no agenda against you. If you cant take the cut and thrust of this forum you can always stop posting garbage.

Just because a poster puts the word fact in their post doesn't actually make it fact. Fact.

said i had a agenda too :rolleyes:

Interesting heading but I'd like to read the full article.

Anyway as I've already posted, she wasnt a member, I'm sure thousands considered joining and took the peaceful route.

With people having an eye for eye attitude then I can see how you have difficulty in accepting that we have law and order in our country.

BTW - Do you disagee with the GFA and the peace movement?
    I totally support the GFA and the democratic vote of the GFA,but why do people like yourself try drag up things about the very people who negotiated it.

Do you want to constanly drag up the past whichwill achieve nothing,or move on and try create a better environment for our children?

Do you want to constanly drag up the past whichwill achieve nothing,or move on and try create a better environment for our children?

Define this "better environment"......one where they're at risk of being battered by you just because someone else burned your house ?

I totally support the GFA and the democratic vote of the GFA,but why do people like yourself try drag up things about the very people who negotiated it.

I'm not dragging up anything, I just want to get a clear understanding of your vies on defending your family and home.

You have clearly agreed that you will take up arms or bombs to defend your property or family, surely this is against the GFA which you say you support.

Edited to Add - I'm in full agreement with the GFA

I'm not dragging up anything, I just want to get a clear understanding of your vies on defending your family and home.

You have clearly agreed that you will take up arms or bombs to defend your property or family, surely this is against the GFA which you say you support.
    I have absolutely no qualms about killing anyone who breaks into my house with my family in It.no way would I regret that.never,and I can guarantee 99 percent people would agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

only people with agenda here is sf supporters and you didn't answer question ,but i can see you can't
    we see what other questions you will avoid in posts

The only person with an agenda here seems to be you, KK. You've a million posts attacking MMG and SF across a thousand thread. Are you being paid per MMG drop in the polls or what?

/and no it's not really a 'million' posts before you ask for evidence. That was an exaggeration.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement