Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Has Martin McGuinness Ever Done For The Republic of Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I have absolutely no qualms about killing anyone who breaks into my house with my family in It.no way would I regret that.never,and I can guarantee 99 percent people would agree.
    You'd kill someone that broke into your house? Then spend the foreseeable future in jail.

Seems proportional.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I have absolutely no qualms about killing anyone who breaks into my house with my family in It.no way would I regret that.never,and I can guarantee 99 percent people would agree.

I serioulsy doubt it. In fact the evidence is there that they dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

phog wrote: »

Edited to Add - I'm in full agreement with the GFA

You're not, you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

You'd kill someone that broke into your house? Then spend the foreseeable future in jail.

Seems proportional.
    If my family were in danger from someone who broke in,yes I would act first and If it means killing them so be it.

What would you do?call the gards,make the imposter tea while you wait for them to arrive,good luck with that.anyway this Is going off on a tangent

If my family were in danger from someone who broke in,yes I would act first and If it means killing them so be it.

What would you do?call the gards,make the imposter tea while you wait for them to arrive,good luck with that.anyway this Is going off on a tangent

This is not what you were referring to in your initial post on murdering anyone who burnt down your house ot attacked your family and you know it.

• Advertisement

Well qualifying it by saying in danger changes the situation.

Also, just because you are not murdering someone does not mean you are making them tea. There are more proportional steps in between murder and hugging.

But this is a tangent because you're making it one. Are we talking about self-defence or retribution; I got the impression you were advocating retribution.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    You're not, you know?

I am you know. Where in the GFA does it say that I have to like M MG or elect him to be president of Ireland. We live in a democracy and I'll vote for whomever I like and it wont be a muderer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I totally support the GFA and the democratic vote of the GFA,but why do people like yourself try drag up things about the very people who negotiated it.

Do you want to constanly drag up the past whichwill achieve nothing,or move on and try create a better environment for our children?

I'm not dragging up anything, I just want to get a clear understanding of your vies on defending your family and home.

You have clearly agreed that you will take up arms or bombs to defend your property or family, surely this is against the GFA which you say you support.

But the main issue is going after other people and killing them. Where do you stand on that aspect of the IRA, or are you happy to duck that question due to it not falling in with your agenda ?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

only people with agenda here is sf supporters and you didn't answer question ,but i can see you can't
    we see what other questions you will avoid in posts

If you so confident that I can't answer the question then why are you pressing me for an answer? Strange.
    Ok, I'll respond to your question once more. You asked for evidence to show Martin McGuinness left the PIRA in 1974. I personally don't have any evidence so I can't help you with that.

Happy now?

I am you know. Where in the GFA does it say that I have to like M MG or elect him to be president of Ireland. We live in a democracy and I'll vote for whomever I like and it wont be a muderer.

The questions you want answered had a line drawn under them and have no consequence. Any acts or memberships of illegal organisations before 1998 in fact.
    This was done to protect the peace, for obvious reasons. A truth and rec commission was to be set up but only SF have called for this to happen.
    It is against the spirit of the agreement to endanger it. Therefore you are not a supporter of the GFA at the moment. It has nothing to do with personal likes and dislikes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭hangon

If someone burned your family out of their house what would you do?

Grow a set chief.

Ok enough of that bull,in actual fact i defended MMG's right to run,(he will be getting my 2nd preference) defended his claim that he has long since seen the only way forward is through peaceful means and even Paisely and Robinson agreed that is a fact.

are you confusing your posters or do you have an agenda against MMG above the others who have a background based on their experience of the troubles as opposed to misinformed 'keyboard warriors' like many here?

You grow a set of eyeglass's and read what posters are saying.

The two Mary's were the best thing that ever happened to Ireland's image,but we are were we are to use that popular saying and now we must choose between who is best for all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

This is a final warning to all those involved in this and other threads on similar topics.

The pettiness, swipe taking, baiting and bait taking is getting beyond a joke. Either people learn to
    a) discuss things like adults
    b) realise that it takes two to tango
    c) step back from a debate when they are getting riled

then we are going to see quite a number of forum bans of varying lengths

I hope I make myself clear here, but if there are any doubts, feel free to get in touch

Cheers

DrG

Dr Galen wrote: »
    This is a final warning to all those involved in this and other threads on similar topics.

The pettiness, swipe taking, baiting and bait taking is getting beyond a joke. Either people learn to
    a) discuss things like adults
    b) realise that it takes two to tango
    c) step back from a debate when they are getting riled

then we are going to see quite a number of forum bans of varying lengths

I hope I make myself clear here, but if there are any doubts, feel free to get in touch

Cheers

DrG

Can we ban people that post the same things twice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

I would like to know will MMG call on the Dail to have Aarhus debated. And which candidate will give a commitment that if elected Aarhus will be debated in the Dail???.

I would like to know will MMG call on the Dail to have Aarhus debated. And which candidate will give a commitment that if elected Aarhus will be debated in the Dail???.
    The Aarhus Convention? What good would a debate be regarding a convention that has been in force for a decade?

Can we ban people that post the same things twice?

Pat D how could people who say the same thing twice be banned from politics?
    Boards posters would be ok,but Politicians or their repetition of stories at every chance would have to go!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

The Aarhus Convention? What good would a debate be regarding a convention that has been in force for a decade?

When you do not know what you are saying you should say nothing.

It is the presidents job to make sure everyone abides by the constitution and 29.5.1 states that every agreement should be debated in the Dial. The Aarhus Convention Agreement was never debated.

hangon wrote: »
    Pat D how could people who say the same thing twice be banned from politics?
    Boards posters would be ok,but Politicians or their repetition of stories at every chance would have to go!:)

Say that again?

Say that again?

I Deny i ever said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

I'm not dragging up anything, I just want to get a clear understanding of your vies on defending your family and home.

You have clearly agreed that you will take up arms or bombs to defend your property or family, surely this is against the GFA which you say you support.

Edited to Add - I'm in full agreement with the GFA
    I support the GFA but if my family were in immediate danger i would take any means necessary to defend them.

I dont get why we cant all just get along like this crowd http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/bECPXh8MQOD/Ireland+Five+Main+Party+Leaders+Take+Part/wA3wz8lKbP1/Enda+Kenny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

@OP

A quiet house benefits the neighbours. MMG played a part in the drafting of the GFA and being in the current NI administration hopefully the house remains quiet.
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Even Al-Quaida (whom I despise) at least believed in their actions enough to be there when those actions murdered people.

Is this a serious statement? Are you inferring the IRA is worse than Al-Qaeda? According to the Cain conflicts database some 59% of those killed by the IRA could be classed as combatants.

Since you said in another thread that:
    Combatants accept that they can die

then Al-Qaeda killing 2000+ civilians on a single September afternoon must be worse?

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    @OP

A quiet house benefits the neighbours. MMG played a part in the drafting of the GFA and being in the current NI administration hopefully the house remains quiet.

Is this a serious statement? Are you inferring the IRA is worse than Al-Qaeda? According to the Cain conflicts database some 59% of those killed by the IRA could be classed as combatants.
    Since you said in another thread that:
    then Al-Qaeda killing 2000+ civilians on a single September afternoon must be worse?

Don't worry it's just the highly selective pacifists we have on here. You can only kill innocents if you are in right wing government.
    For them a campaign of terror is throwing custard pies that have gone off! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Tazz T wrote: »
    The only person with an agenda here seems to be you, KK. You've a million posts attacking MMG and SF across a thousand thread. Are you being paid per MMG drop in the polls or what?

/and no it's not really a 'million' posts before you ask for evidence. That was an exaggeration.

another petty post i see
    when it comes to my country and when a terrorist is running as candidate,i will say what most are thinking,if you don't like it,don't be on threads,
    after the election,will you be around on boards posting about the budget or will you wait till next election when sf might run, all we hearing lately is poor marty,pity marty mc guinness like supporters don't feel more towards PIRA victims and also tell family's where body's of missing family members are dumped by them when they dragged from there homes .when people in Ireland get answers to questions that are NOT a lie by m mcguinness and sf party and supporters,then he's won't be asked ,IT'S pity you can't count .

maybe that's what you do in the north,We have laws in the south,
    or
    is it shinners don't do things by the law or recognize the Law in Ireland.

If you so confident that I can't answer the question then why are you pressing me for an answer? Strange.
    Ok, I'll respond to your question once more. You asked for evidence to show Martin McGuinness left the PIRA in 1974. I personally don't have any evidence so I can't help you with that.

Happy now?

Cheers

When you do not know what you are saying you should say nothing.

It is the presidents job to make sure everyone abides by the constitution and 29.5.1 states that every agreement should be debated in the Dial. The Aarhus Convention Agreement was never debated.

Wow, moody... I was simply clarifying your vague post. Art 29.5.1 actually doesn't say anything about debate (I'm not even going to bother looking it up to know that). Plus Aarhus could be said to fall under 29.5.3.

I also wonder if there is any use debating an agreement now that has been in force for a decade.

Care to answer those questions, or do you not know what you're saying?

The question on thread heading is
    What has mc guinness ever done for The Republic of Ireland

answer
    Mc guinness has done nothing for Ireland
    Only bring sorrow and grief to family's who lost family members
    mc guinness hasn't contribute anything toward Ireland
    Doe he now recognize Justice system i Ireland ,the Garda and Irish defense forces

The Republic of Ireland

No such place. Unless you are talking football.

McGuinness has never made a secret of the fact that he wants a United Ireland, and like others sees 'Ireland' as all those who see their birthrights as being Irish. In much the same way as Mary Robinson addressed the entire Irish diaspora, he would too. Quite a noble gesture for our Pres to make I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,953 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Are we back on this topic again? Change the capital r in republic to a small one and your issue is resolved. The republic of Ireland is a perfect description for this country...

• Advertisement

McGuinness has never made a secret of the fact that he wants a United Ireland, and like others sees 'Ireland' as all those who see their birthrights as being Irish. In much the same way as Mary Robinson addressed the entire Irish diaspora, he would too. Quite a noble gesture for our Pres to make I think.

maybe where you are theres no republic of Ireland ;)

People in republic of Ireland at moment don't think about united Ireland till all terrorist are cleared and north still hostile environment in parts and outside of that
    goes back to people from all sides having to vote in north to if there all want to be part of Ireland, nationalists are less than a third of the people there,don't see all side ready to want to vote on it yet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement