Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Has Martin McGuinness Ever Done For The Republic of Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

OMD wrote: »
    Sectarian and nationalist killings haven't stopped. Merely greatly reduced.
    Very revealing answer! Is that the only type of killings you have noticed? :D
    But they don't share power. Haven't all the SF people been saying we can't judge Martin McG's record in the northern assembly because it has no powers? Also are you really saying sharing power was an aspiration of nationalists?

It certainly was an aspiration of 'my recent ancestors', who as I said earlier, are SDLP voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

maccored wrote: »
    who are the 'IRA apologists on here' if you dont mind me asking?

People who can't condemn the likes of Proxy bombs without the usual whataboutery and excuses, simple. It's like reading an IRA propaganda manual at times.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    People who can't condemn the likes of Proxy bombs without the usual whataboutery and excuses, simple. It's like reading an IRA propaganda manual at times.

You mean 'realists' who see the politics of condemnation as futile and the preserve of high moral grounders?

They are fond of rhetorical questions to avoid condemning IRA actions unreservedly.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The IRA was trying to bomb people into a United Ireland in the 50s. And they are still trying to do it today. A RIRA man has been sent to jail for 12 years for trying to smuggle weapons into Ulster to carry on the vicious IRA campaign which involves killing PSNI officers.

It will be interesting if Martin Mcguinness will comment on this latest case.

His contesting the presidency in the ' Free State'is in itself an enormous statement and certainly one that says taking the path of peace allows for truly extraordinary things.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

maccored wrote: »
    not of the same nature than caused the rise of the provos in the north.

Inequality is people at the bottom of the heap, people being screwed over by those that govern. The power of a furious people if harnessed could be a dangerous thing.

When McG fails in his attempt; this will spell the end for SFs advances southwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

They are fond of rhetorical questions to avoid condemning IRS actions unreservedly.

.....the workings of the US revenue service are a subject on which I feel insufficiently informed to comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

When I see folk like you actually concentrate on something the Brits and loyalists do I'd take you seriously. You're fixated on the IRA, you would swear they were the only ones involved.

Nodin wrote: »
    .....the workings of the US revenue service are a subject on which I feel insufficiently informed to comment.

Ah Nodin, well played, can always rely on your witty remarks.
    When I see folk like you actually concentrate on something the Brits and loyalists do I'd take you seriously. You're fixated on the IRA, you would swear they were the only ones involved.

Point proven.

I've repeatedly pointed to British crimes and cover ups. I think it's a moral block or something that hardline Republicans have.

There'd be no point in me linking to them as it doesn't sink in, computer says no.

Point proven.

I've repeatedly pointed to British crimes and cover ups. I think it's a moral block or something that hardline Republicans have.

I was speaking generally. People in Ireland are fixated with the IRA. You would swear they were a new thing and just decided to randomly kill people for the craic.

FYI, I've condemned plenty of IRA actions where I see not, not when someone tells me to. Some bad things happen in a war and some very wrong things. The IRA apologised for the deaths of all non-combatants, that's good enough for me.

• Advertisement

I was speaking generally. People in Ireland are fixated with the IRA. You would swear they were a new thing and just decided to randomly kill people for the craic.

FYI, I've condemned plenty of IRA actions where I see not, not when someone tells me to. Some bad things happen in a war and some very wrong things. The IRA apologised for the deaths of all non-combatants, that's good enough for me.

I must have missed this war you speak of. :confused:

old hippy wrote: »
    I must have missed this war you speak of. :confused:

Were you in a thirty year coma then?

I was living in the Republic of Ireland; there was no war on there, a chara :)

Fair enough. It's when people can't unreservedly condemn proxy bombs and the murder of Patsy Gillespie without bringing in 800 years, that's the type of stuff I'm on about.

I don't have time for whataboutery for Shoot to Kill etc. either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

The war against organised criminals like the IRA is not like a war as most people think about it. Think the "war against drugs". Again not really a war in the true sense of the word.

The war against organised criminals like the IRA is not like a war as most people think about it. Think the "war against drugs". Again not really a war in the true sense of the word.

Oh, okkkaaayyyy....:rolleyes:

Oh, okkkaaayyyy....:rolleyes:

He's got a point, mind. If the Republic and the UK had been in a war, I'm sure I'd remember. You can hardly call a bit of thuggery and tribalism in a foreign country a war, unpleasant as it was.

Fair enough. It's when people can't unreservedly condemn proxy bombs and the murder of Patsy Gillespie without bringing in 800 years, that's the type of stuff I'm on about.

I don't have time for whataboutery for Shoot to Kill etc. either.

I would condemn his killing, it shouldn't have happened. No doubt about it.
    I was living in the Republic of Ireland; there was no war on there, a chara
    He's got a point, mind. If the Republic and the UK had been in a war, I'm sure I'd remember. You can hardly call a bit of thuggery and tribalism in a foreign country a war, unpleasant as it was.

Yeah foreign country? ppffffttt, jog on.

Next time I hear the old "they went against our wishes" I'll point to posts like that to see why they were right not to give a damn about what the 26 counties thought. Why should they have given a hoot about what people think who didn't have to live with what they had to and about people who didn't give a damn about what happened up there unless it was the IRA who did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The IRA boys call it a war as it makes them feel like heroes when they killed and bombed, otherwise the awful truth of what it really was might dawn on them. Probably even gave each other medals, Marty probably has a few as well.

Next time I hear the old "they went against our wishes" I'll point to posts like that to see why they were right not to give a damn about what the 26 counties thought. Why should they have given a hoot about what people think who didn't have to live with what they had to and about people who didn't give a damn about what happened up there unless it was the IRA who did it.

but they didn't just go against the wishes of the 26 counties. They also went against the wishes of the majority of people in the north also. For the partitionist's amongst you they also went against the wishes of nationalists in the north.

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    The IRA boys call it a war as it makes them feel like heroes when they killed and bombed,

That's what happens in a war....

It was a war...it's just that the Fine Gael and Fianna Fail battalions deserted! :rolleyes:

Yeah foreign country? ppffffttt, jog on.

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely feel sorry for the victims in both tribes, in the same way that I feel sorry for the victims of any violence in any conflict but the 6 counties might as well be Rwanda to most Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

That's what happens in a war....

Only there was no war as far as most people are concerned, its only the murderers called it that, funny that is it not? Normal people call it murder.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It was a war...it's just that the Fine Gael and Fianna Fail battalions deserted! :rolleyes:

So considering now the Real IRA are still in action how can people say "the war is over".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter what you want to call it. The fact is the PIRA surrendered and ended the armed campaign. It had nothing to do with Fine Gael or Fiannna Fail either. They had nothing to abandon.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Only there was no war as far as most people are concerned, its only the murderers called it that, funny that is it not? Normal people call it murder.

Yup. Al Qaeda reckon they're at war with the west but we all know the mindset of the terrorist and how they like to justify mayhem...

but they didn't just go against the wishes of the 26 counties. They also went against the wishes of the majority of people in the north also. For the partitionist's amongst you they also went against the wishes of nationalists in the north.

True but they had a large portion of it and in working class areas where the fighting was they had a majority a lot of the time.

I ask again, what endorsement of the people did 1916 have? Yet we'll have a big celebration for them in 2016 and they'll be hailed as heroes, despite going against the will of the majority at the time. Pure and utter revisionism and what's good for you isn't good enough for them and they had a lot worse to live with than what we ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely feel sorry for the victims in both tribes, in the same way that I feel sorry for the victims of any violence in any conflict but the 6 counties might as well be Rwanda to most Irish people.

please lay off with the highly inaccurate 'tribes' theory. its so far off the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

so instead of saying these things directly to whoever it is you are talking about - without the usual whataboutery and excuses - you just make generalisations? Great work there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement