Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Has Martin McGuinness Ever Done For The Republic of Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

cosmicfart wrote: »
    Again you FAIL to grasp why MMG and the IRA were involved in violence. Ill spell it out for you and HOPE you can grasp it. They were forced into it by the British government and all the Loyalist groups up North who were hell bent of ridding the North of nationalists. I have no problem in someone defending the way of life by means of violence if violence is been used against them. there is no point in waving a white flag if someone has a gun and is going to use it on you.

I put him on ignore ... lifes been idyllic ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭RepublicanEagle

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    ....are you disgusted by BOTH SIDES that did those ?

You insult my intelligence by asking if I am only disgusted with only one side,you think I wrote that for the craic yes? You obviously assumed that I am one of these pathetic bar-stool nationalists that don't have a clue.

Anyway....

What the fcuk do you think Liam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

maccored wrote: »
    I put him on ignore ... lifes been idyllic ever since.

lol cant debate can we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Again you FAIL to grasp why MMG and the IRA were involved in violence.:rolleyes:

No, I haven't. :rolleyes: I've failed to grasp why they were involved in violence against innocents.

There's a difference.
    I have no problem in someone defending the way of life by means of violence if violence is been used against them. there is no point in waving a white flag if someone has a gun and is going to use it on you.

And again, there's an implication there that you're targetting the person who is "going to use it on you"........the IRA didn't do this, so therefore that example is complete strawmanning.

By all means defend yourself in that situation by whatever means necessary.

Just don't go out and blow up your neighbour who had SFA to do with the gun-toting aggressor, and may even have been a Catholic and on your "side", for all you know.

lol cant debate can we?

i dont know if I would class it as 'debate' all the same. 'round and round the bushes' maybe.

• Advertisement

You insult my intelligence by asking if I am only disgusted with only one side,you think I wrote that for the craic yes? tYou obviously assumed hinking I am one of these pathetic bar-stool nationalists that don't have a clue.

Anyway....

What the fcuk do you think Liam?

Well you falsely claimed that I "call people who had no choice but to stand up against oppression cowardly", and then you listed 2 cowardly things that had nothing to do with standing up against oppression as justification for that view, in a thread about voting for one of those who did those things.

So it wasn't insulting your intelligence - it was a valid question.

No, I haven't. :rolleyes: I've failed to grasp why they were involved in violence against innocents.

There's a difference.

And again, there's an implication there that you're targetting the person who is "going to use it on you"........the IRA didn't do this, so therefore that example is complete strawmanning.

Just don't go out and blow up your neighbour who had SFA to do with the gun-toting aggressor, and may even have been a Catholic and on your "side", for all you know.

You keep saying innocents like the IRA were the only ones who actually killed innocent people. They were not. And they were NOT the first ones to bring the Gun into Irish politcs, the Brits were. So as appalling as it was, it was a War and NEWSFLASH!! Innocent people get killed in war, just ask Tony Blair.

i dont know if I would class it as 'debate' all the same. 'round and round the bushes' maybe.

lol thats you debating mate

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Mucco wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the IRA, we wouldn't have needed a peace process.

Imagine two candidates.

A joins a violent organisation, encourages bombings shootings etc. Eventually realises this doesn't work, but manages to use this threat to gain political advantage. He stops the bombings and is therefore hailed as a hero of the peace process.

B doesn't join, doesn't encourage violence, therefore can't have an effect on the peace process and doesn't get hailed as a hero.

Which is more deserving of our approval?

Just to expand on my point.
    Imagine 1969 in Derry, three options:
    A) join violent organisation to try to achieve aim
    B) do nothing
    C) use peaceful tactics to try to achieve aim

MMG did A - a real lack of imagination in my book.

If people had done C instead of A, maybe we would be in the same situation we are now, but without 30 years of violence. Martin Luther King won the Nobel peace prize and has a holiday named after him - it's a shame there was no Martin Luther King in NI.

Some societies in NI are very polarised, which has gotten worse because of the conflict. MMG is no closer to achieving his aims, than, say, the SNP in Scotland. So why vote for a failure as president?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

There's a difference.

And again, there's an implication there that you're targeting the person who is "going to use it on you"........the IRA didn't do this, so therefore that example is complete strawmanning.

The IRA by and large — note the qualification — did not deliberately set out to kill civilians. Civilians inevitably were killed when bombs were placed in so-called economic targets or when the army or police were attacked but it was never the IRA’s policy — again, by and large — to deliberately kill civilians. There were one or two exceptions like the Tullyvallen Orange Hall Massacre and the massacre at Whitecross of the Protestants in the bus. They were rare exceptions.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion...#ixzz1aBvI1KGQ

And can you tell me where in any war or conflict Innocents have not been killed that the combandents have just killed only fellow combandents,as you have previously said you have no problem with that ,its a very unfortunate fact of war/conflict that Innocents will be killed it was then and will be in the future.

• Advertisement

lol thats you debating mate

No not really. I make my point and I make it clearly.

You keep saying innocents like the IRA were the only ones who actually killed innocent people.

Retract that claim because that is an out-and-out lie.

realies wrote: »
    The IRA by and large — note the qualification — did not deliberately set out to kill civilians. Civilians inevitably were killed when bombs were placed in so-called economic targets

More excuses. If it's "inevitable" then don't put bombs there, because if it's "inevitable" then that makes it premeditated murder - knowing in advance that innocents will die and going ahead anyway.

There was nothing "inevitable" about it. It was a choice, and a despicable one.

Muco wrote: »
    B) do nothing

If people had done C instead of A, maybe we would be in the same situation we are now, but without 30 years of violence. Martin Luther King won the Nobel peace prize and has a holiday named after him - it's a shame there was no Martin Luther King in NI.

Some societies in NI are very polarised, which has gotten worse because of the conflict. MMG is no closer to achieving his aims, than, say, the SNP in Scotland. So why vote for a failure as president?

Do you know anything about how the Norths troubles erupted ?

More excuses. If it's "inevitable" then don't put bombs there, because if it's "inevitable" then that makes it premeditated murder - knowing in advance that innocents will die and going ahead anyway.

There was nothing "inevitable" about it. It was a choice, and a despicable one.

Answer the question i asked please .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭RepublicanEagle

B) do nothing

Have you heard of Bloody Sunday?

And can you tell me where in any war or conflict Innocents have not been killed that the combandents have just killed only fellow combandents,as you have previously said you have no problem with that ,its a very unfortunate fact of war/conflict that Innocents will be killed it was then and will be in the future.

It will if people continue to excuse it; the Americans even made up a phrase for it - "collateral damage" :(

Are we not allowed to strive for better ?

Once upon a time an "unfortunate fact of life" was TB - that has now been as good as eradicated.

Once upon a time an "unfortunate fact of life" for black people or gays was that they got picked on and ridiculed - that, too, has been as good as eradicated.

But that's because very few people sat back and accepted those.

Ironically, with all due respect to those affected by the above, the murder of innocents - which is a far bigger issue - gets "accepted" ?

Not on my watch.

Muco wrote: »
    B) do nothing

Maybe this will help you understand the situation a bit more,one of many British government operations against just one side of the community.

Operation Demetrius (or internment as it is more commonly known) began in Northern Ireland on the morning of Monday 9 August 1971. Operation Demetrius was launched by the British Army and Royal Ulster Constabulary and involved arresting and interning (without trial) people accused of being paramilitary members. During the operation, the British Army killed 11 civilians[ and detained 342 people, leading to widespread protests and rioting. The internment would last from 1971 to 1975.
    Internment was reintroduced on the orders of the then Prime Minister of Northern Ireland, Brian Faulkner. The policy of internment had been used a number of times during Northern Ireland's (and the Republic of Ireland's) history.
    In the case brought to the European Commission of Human Rights by the Irish government against the British state it was conceded that Operation Demetrius was planned and implemented from the highest levels of the British Government and that specially trained personnel were sent to Northern Ireland to familiarise the local forces in what became known as the 'five techniques'.
    What they did not include was a single Loyalist. Although the UVF had begun the killing and bombing, this organisation was left untouched, as were other violent Loyalist satellite organisations such as Tara, the Shankill Defence Association and the Ulster Protestant Volunteers.

It is known that Faulkner was urged by the British to include a few Protestants in the trawl but he refused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Have you heard of Bloody Sunday?

Yes yes yes, and the battle of the Bogside, and the story about young Marty leaving the Provo's in 74', but have you ever heard about Bloody Friday? Warrington, Enniskillen, Brighton, the list is endless . . . . . . . . . .

Here's a few more > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Provisional_Irish_Republican_Army_actions_%281980-1989%29

It will if people continue to excuse it; the Americans even made up a phrase for it - "collateral damage" :(

Are we not allowed to strive for better ?

Once upon a time an "unfortunate fact of life" was TB - that has now been as good as eradicated.

Once upon a time an "unfortunate fact of life" for black people or gays was that they got picked on and ridiculed - that, too, has been as good as eradicated.

But that's because very few people sat back and accepted those.

Ironically, with all due respect to those affected by the above, the murder of innocents - which is a far bigger issue - gets "accepted" ?

Not on my watch.

Your not answering my question that was asked,as it has never happened or will happen and where I am sure all the peoples in the world would agree with you that no innocent people be killed,its a pipe dream and not reality and instead of going over & over about what happened do something about it and move on,its hard but it can be done.

• Advertisement

Lord Sutch wrote: »
    Yes yes yes, and the battle of the Bogside, and the story about old Marty leaving the Provo's in 74', but have you ever heard about Bloody Friday?

Of course I have and the Dublin & monaghan bombings and and and whats your one sided point ?

Your not answering my question that was asked,as it has never happened....

Probably not, no.
    .....or will happen

Says who ?

instead of going over & over about what happened do something about it and move on,its hard but it can be done.

How is "accepting that people get murdered" a case of "doing something about it" ?

I am "doing something about it".....I'm trying to convince people that it's unacceptable.

Once upon a time people smoked in bars and workplaces....if people just accepted that, then nothing would have been done about it.

If someone murders an innocent person then I have no time for them; that fact won't ever change. Why should I lower my standards and accept it ?

If someone was murdered in a city every night, would you just accept it or would you try to get people to not accept it and get something done about it ?

Probably not, no.

Says who ?

How is "accepting that people get murdered" a case of "doing something about it" ?

I am "doing something about it".....I'm trying to convince people that it's unacceptable.

Once upon a time people smoked in bars and workplaces....if people just accepted that, then nothing would have been done about it.

If someone murders an innocent person then I have no time for them; that fact won't ever change.

IMO liam your not doing anything about it and are condeming people who are trying to do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Of course I have and the Dublin & monaghan bombings and and and whats your one sided point ?

My point being that the Provisional IRA carried out all of these (Post#200), and McGuinness was a member (and an apologist) for the Provo's.

That's my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    By which you mean the electorate?

Answer me this - do most of the people in the north understand what is was like to live in a state where Rome had a say in the everyday lives of the citizenry?

Yes - people in the 'south' (we'll ignore the fact that the most northerly point on the island is in the republic shall we...?) are ignorant of life in the 'north' - but equally most people in the 'north' are equally ignorant of the realities of life in the 'south' - it wasn't all sunshine and lollypops you know...

Many have expressed concern that as a life-long resident in the 'north' M McG shares that ignorance...
    This was a point I have brought up before. A lot of people back when N.I was created and the Republic Of Ireland were religious people and actually went to church. Most people now have never been inside a church, never mind actually understand the Bible and Jesus.

It is the hypocrites when it comes to Northern Ireland from Republicans who talk about oppression. Many people felt oppression in the Republic Of Ireland from the Roman Catholic Church and Rome and its influence on that country.

If I was a Protestant in the 20s or 60s, would I want to live in a country which would have everything dictated to by Rome? Absolutely not and I would have fought to make sure it never happened.

When people talk of balance, they need to see the deep negatives in the Republic Of Ireland when the Roman Catholic Church had huge influence on that state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

B) do nothing

Actually there was a D) Join a civil rights movement. D were a cross community organisation and tryed to achieve civil rights for all people. They were seen as a cover for the IRA by some (paranoid) people and were attacked by A resulting in the deaths of 14 people.

Whats with you and trying to over simplify history, people don't just get posed with 3 solutions with an obvious right answer.

EDIT: Brain's not working D would fall under c, my point still stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

FFS!

The: Definite Article. There is only one of these things in existence!

Republic: a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them, or simply one in which the head of state is not a monarch.

Of: Preposition; used to indicate possession, origin, or association, constituted by, containing, or characterised by

Ireland: Either the island or country: either meaning works in the context.

I am beginning to despair
    You can begin to despair all you want, but you're simply wrong. How do you think I feel having to deal with stupidity where it's clear I'm correct.

Explain the significance of the Supreme Court decision in 1989 of Ellis v O'Dea if you believe it is accurate to call the country the Republic of Ireland?

The purpose of the 1948 Act is to officially declare the country as a republic - your definition is correct. However, it's not as simple as you put it forward; clear from the decision in Ellis that a description of Republic of Ireland is not correct.

I, now, begin to despair for those who argue despite having not a notion of what they are on about.
    who cares......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

yes - because in northern catholic societies it was probably even worse than down here. the brothers in the CBS i went to certainly were as crazy as any of the stories of cbs schools down here.

In NI Archbishop McQuaid was not allowed to dictate social policy.

Did NI have the Magdelene Laundries where the state enabled the abuse of young women by the Catholic Church?

Did NI have the Industrial schools where the state enabled the abuse of young men by the Catholic Church?

The 6 counties and the 26 counties diverged after Partition and evolved in separate ways. Horrendous abuses were perpetuated by the authorities against their citizens in both.

Those who were resident in only one of the two can never fully comprehend the reality of life in the other.

Reading some of the pro-M McG posts here it would appear that nothing of importance ever happened on the island of Ireland in the last 40 years bar the Troubles and its repercussions. This is, in my view, a myopic and one sided viewpoint which privileges the struggles for civil liberties in NI over the struggles for civil liberties in the republic.

I, like many others, grew up in the republic. I was aware of the struggle in NI but we also had our own struggles 'down here'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

beeno67 wrote: »
    But what about the people who wouldn't invest in Ireland because of "the troubles"? I met loads of people when I travelled a lot in the 80s who once they heard I was from Ireland would always ask me about the IRA. People telling me how they would love to visit Ireland but wouldn't because of the "war". How much money for tourism and investment was lost due to Martin's friends?
    President Bill Clinton's speech on this last week (earlier this week?) was pretty interesting regarding these points.
    It would certainly show how far we've come.
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    What on earth can Martin Mcguinness do in the role anyway? From what I hear, it has very little power. To be honest, you should be looking to give more power to the role or scrap it.
    For the most part, the problem with the Presidency is that people feel this way about it; and they're wrong.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Liz has far more potential power then any Irish President.
    I would disagree, the President has much more potential power if used correctly. I would advocate imparting more power on the President in order to have a functional executive branch that isn't already a part of the legislative branch.

However, with the referendum on Judge's pay which will likely pass, it's more likely we're in for LESS separation of powers than MORE.
    Why the electorate would choose to give more power to the idiots in the legislative branch who fecked up everything in the first place is beyond me!
    FionnRua wrote: »
    Well if Gay Mitchell is to be believed MMcG does not recognise this country and refers to it as the 26 counties. He therefore falls into the camp occupied by some of the posters here who also dont seem to care about the name of the country.
    As for my opinion as to what he has done for this country - He has brought huge amounts of pain and despair to a lot of the citizens of this state.
    I have to completely agree with you here and my next point goes to the issue of this:

barrmur wrote: »
    Can you show a link which proves MMG is no longer in the IRA? Man you love your "links" and "sources".
    That's a bit harsh isn't it? I mean it's like saying show me a source that proves he is still involved. (which he totally probably is! :D)

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    In NI Archbishop McQuaid was not allowed to dictate social policy.

Did NI have the Magdelene Laundries where the state enabled the abuse of young women by the Catholic Church?

Did NI have the Industrial schools where the state enabled the abuse of young men by the Catholic Church?

The 6 counties and the 26 counties diverged after Partition and evolved in separate ways. Horrendous abuses were perpetuated by the authorities against their citizens in both.

Those who were resident in only one of the two can never fully comprehend the reality of life in the other.

Reading some of the pro-M McG posts here it would appear that nothing of importance ever happened on the island of Ireland in the last 40 years bar the Troubles and its repercussions. This is, in my view, a myopic and one sided viewpoint which privileges the struggles for civil liberties in NI over the struggles for civil liberties in the republic.

I, like many others, grew up in the republic. I was aware of the struggle in NI but we also had our own struggles 'down here'.

this is a political forum on a thread about mmg ... what kind of conversation were you expecting? Plus theres no point equating clerical abuse in the south and the violence in the north ... two completely different things. also, Im sure if you researched it you'd find the catholic church werent much different in the north than they were here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement