Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qualitative Formula Experssion Help!

• 12-10-2011 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently writing up my research and I wanted to summarise some of the qualitative findings in a formula-like expression. However, the problem I am having is whether I can describe it as a formula if the variable are quantitative in nature. For example (not actual expression but gives you an idea of the qualitative nature of the findings....), if I was looking as political value, I may say that:

Value = Opportunity – Resistance

Can I use such "expression" or what area should I be looking at to get a better idea on this area. These variables are not 'tangible' per se, but I felt it summarises some of the main findings. This is not my strongest area and I was hoping I could get your thoughts on this? What area should I be exploring to refine such expressions (if they even exist?)? I do not have a maths backgrounds, so if you have any simple sources to follow, I would much appreciate it.

Apologies in advance if this is a 'strange' query....
    Many thanks in advance for your assistance.
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Why would you want to do this? The value of qualitative research is its openness. Also, ascribing these kinds of quantitative expressions to your findings which, if it's a qualitative study, will have had a non-representative sample, is getting into dangerous territory- you'd be ripped apart in a viva for ascribing statistically significant results to qualitative data. At least I'd imagine so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Who Knows?

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I was considering a way to provide a snapshot of overall findings. I am using emripical data to explain a new area of research and I thought it 'could' be a nice summary?

So, in short, you are saying this is not done in qualitative research and a dangerous tactic?

As my research methods, I carried out observations, online surveys, interviews, and secondary data analysis. Sample of 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

As above

Include it as a general statement (in non-equation form) if you must, but that level of formalisation is unsuitable for your type of data

edit: last bit of your post - the area to read up on this would be measurement theory, but there is little you can do at this stage

Chapter four of this book gives a good introduction to measurement in political research if you want to include some commentary on possible procedures involved. If you wanted to specify such a model with quantitative data, you would need a good degree of precision with your measures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well I mean I would just be wary of those kinds of measures being seen as absolute, and with qualitative data you just can't be absolute.

COuld you maybe come up with some kind of graphic to illustrate your points? Rather than Value = Opportunity – Resistance perhaps a circular graphic of some kind would be useful...

Advertisement