Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB plugs

• 12-10-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if those plugs that allow you to recharge a device at the mains using USB are standard across the board?

My tablet and my iPod and my media player all use one, but can I save having to carry around 3 different plugs when I leave home? I'd rather not plug the tablet into the iPod one and use the smell of burning electronics to determine that it's not a good idea...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In theory they all deliver 5V but you'll find that the more modern Apple iPods will not take a charge from a device that isn't sold with this logo on the packaging...

made-for-ipod-logo-wt.jpg

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1665

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I use one of THESE for iPod, iPad and phone without any issues (The VIII is the current version supplied from this vendor but is currently out of stock)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've taken to carrying a powered USB hub I found unused at the bottom of a drawer around with me on my travels to charge everything now. Doesn't quite give enough for the quickest charge on my Samsung tablet, but plenty to keep it ticking over whilst away for a few days, and charge up phones, gps watches, and mp3's all from the one plug. Simpler than trying to find enough mains sockets and adapter plugs in European hotel rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭granturismo

My ipod, sony experia phone and sony ereader all charge from a generic usb wall socket in Ireland and abroad.

I just bought an Asus epad tablet and it will not charge from the generic usb socket. It comes with a USB socket similar to the op's photo and a usb cable but my phone will charge using the Asus socket. The output on the Asus supplied socket is impossible to read but looks like 5.45V, 2-1.2A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

I use one of THESE for iPod, iPad and phone without any issues (The VIII is the current version supplied from this vendor but is currently out of stock)

Gamestop have there own branded version that looks very similar to the Jivo one above.
    Both have the added advantage of having two USB ports and interchangeable 3pin/2pin connectors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

You could use universal travel adpater - with a usb charging port - its a fairly safe bet to use that in Ireland if your concerned about frying something :-).

Personally I use the above or any usb plug I find around the house when I'm looking to charge - I reckon that its the same thing as plugging into a usb on laptop (might be wrong there - however I've never had problems)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

corblimey wrote: »
    Does anyone know if those plugs that allow you to recharge a device at the mains using USB are standard across the board?

My tablet and my iPod and my media player all use one, but can I save having to carry around 3 different plugs when I leave home? I'd rather not plug the tablet into the iPod one and use the smell of burning electronics to determine that it's not a good idea...

I bought this recently, works perfect...added bonus, 2 port USB! ;)

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-power-adapter-charger-with-dual-usb-ports-100-240v-uk-plug-48850

Advertisement