Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Laptop for college - suggestions?

• 12-10-2011 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I need a new Windows laptop. I am starting a college course next week and my notes will all be online. I'll also will need to stream online TV etc. I won't be using any computationally heavy software.

Can anyone tell me how much I should spend on a device like this? Would €500 get me a good one?

Is there a market leader that everyone is buying these days?

Regards,
    Walrus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Decisions decisions..

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

There are alot of decent laptops in that price range they won't be amazing but for everyday use they will be fine.

Try get a laptop with 4Gb ddr3 ram and a dual core processor(I prefer Intel Processors over amd).
    Screen size is up to yourself but 15.6" is probably big enough.

All laptops come with wifi weither or not you need bluetooth is up to you.

If you look up some reviews online for budget laptops you will get a good idea of what you should look for.

There are some irish websites that have reasonable prices you can check them out and compare them to the spec and price of high street shops.

I would recommend this laptop

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/HP_ProBook_4320s_1066236.html

there is a thread on it on boards here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056333437

Cashback works in Ireland (can be claimed after 30 days). Would be about €420 after cashback. Need to pay an extra €120 upfront but you will get it back. Site is reputable and £10 for 2 day delivery to anywhere in Ireland.

It's plenty powerful for college use (and even light gaming).

it's 13.3 inch screen size and relatively light at 2kg. That's a really nice screen size and weight for carrying in and out of college. 15.6 inch laptops are usually heavy and a bit of a pain to fit into a bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

i brought from www.komplett.ie they have free delievery aswell i am pretty happy with them.

also www.saveonlaptops.co.uk are good but i found komplett to be cheaper for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

i brought from www.komplett.ie they have free delievery aswell i am pretty happy with them.

also www.saveonlaptops.co.uk are good but i found komplett to be cheaper for me

Komplett are handier (free delivery, based in Ireland)

saveonlaptops.co.uk are generally cheaper (although not so many good deals lately I've noticed)

For the OP

You're in college, you'll be getting drunk, so you need something not too expensive, you need something portable, not too heavy, with a bit of battery life

Something like this would fit the bill
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Netbook-Windows-Premium/dp/B0056PDKWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318590709&sr=8-1

I have something similar and just pity those people lugging around gigantic 15.6 inch laptops, constantly trying to plug them in to charge them etc.

• Advertisement

11.6 inch netbook will do the job fine for most things. If OP is using Excel for college though then you really need a 13.3 inch screen min. Excel not really usable for 11.6 inch screens.

Advertisement