Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Driving Licence

Options
  • 12-10-2011 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    I just wanted to know is an Irish Full driving licence Valid in OZ? Going over on a WHV in a week. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭howwedoin

Sure is. Drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Yeah will be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yes , its fine

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

i'd say you're good;)

i don't think you can transfer a full irish licence for a full australian licence, i think my brother got his irish licence transfered to an international licence before leaving ireland then he transfered that for a full australian.
    how long can you use your irish licence for before they would expect you to get it transferred?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

sponge_bob wrote: »
    i'd say you're good;)

i don't think you can transfer a full irish licence for a full australian licence, i think my brother got his irish licence transfered to an international licence before leaving ireland then he transfered that for a full australian.
    how long can you use your irish licence for before they would expect you to get it transferred?

They will transfer a full Irish to a full OZ once youve held it for 2 years.

And legally your supposed to have a international indorsment on your Irish for it to be valid, and then your only suppose to drive for 3 months before changing it over, but tbh I wouldnt worry about it untill a employer asks you to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

i'd say you're good;)

They will transfer a full Irish to a full OZ once youve held it for 2 years.

And legally your supposed to have a international indorsment on your Irish for it to be valid, and then your only suppose to drive for 3 months before changing it over, but tbh I wouldnt worry about it untill a employer asks you to do it.

Two years isn't so bad, I coulda sworn I read it was three years! I'll have mine 3 years in January and going to Oz in a few weeks so won't matter to me but still you're 100% it's two years?

Yup, well it is up in Darwin, I had to change mine over for work a few weeks ago, but the wont transfer any other catigorys u might have except maybe motor bike. Also once they give u the full OZ u can go for the HR

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Yup, well it is up in Darwin, I had to change mine over for work a few weeks ago, but the wont transfer any other catigorys u might have except maybe motor bike. Also once they give u the full OZ u can go for the HR

whats the procedure for getting it changed?
    is it fast,cheap and straightforward?

whats the procedure for getting it changed?
    is it fast,cheap and straightforward?

Yeah dead easy, just need a OZ bank statment with your address, your Irish license and your passport. Mine cost $30 for a 2 year.

They just give u a quick eye test, take ur photo, and u get it 5 mins later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Nice one! Knew it was pretty easy but didnt think that easy! Glad to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Diar

thanks for all the info guys

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

just wondering what good an irish provisional license is in australia? does it entitle the holder to anything? i.e to drive or to skip the ozzy version of the theory test or equivalent?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

danotroy wrote: »
    just wondering what good an irish provisional license is in australia? does it entitle the holder to anything? i.e to drive or to skip the ozzy version of the theory test or equivalent?

As far as I know Irish Provisional it's worth any thing here. Entitles you to notthing. Whole different driving learning here with L , P n R plates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Use your Irish driving licence for as long as you can over here because if you ever get done for anything they cant put points on an Irish licence. You will still be fined but no points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Am I right in thinking that after being here for 3 months you are obliged to change to an Australian driving licence? Or is it that you must transfer before you've been here for 3 months or you have to sit a test?? I'm in WA by the way.

People have been telling me different things and I've googled and checked out the transport.gov website but am still a bit confused! :rolleyes:

And the 3 months thing... is it 3 months after you arrive in the country or 3 months after teh visa has been granted?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

sudzs wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that after being here for 3 months you are obliged to change to an Australian driving licence? Or is it that you must transfer before you've been here for 3 months or you have to sit a test?? I'm in WA by the way.

People have been telling me different things and I've googled and checked out the transport.gov website but am still a bit confused! :rolleyes:

And the 3 months thing... is it 3 months after you arrive in the country or 3 months after teh visa has been granted?? :confused:

If you are a PR.

If you are on holiday there is no requirement to change your licence, its optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

mandrake04 wrote: »
    If you are a PR.

If you are on holiday there is no requirement to change your licence, its optional.

What about on a 457 visa?? :confused:

.....right, I did a bit more googling and found this straightforward bit of info.
    If you are becoming a permanent resident of Western Australia, you have three months in which to transfer your driver licence. If you are in Western Australia on a visitor, student or temporary visa you may continue to drive using your home countries driver licence, provided that it is still valid and has not expired.

So, from that, I can stay on my full Irish licence for however long I am in Australia on a 457 visa. Yes??

What happens with speeding tickets etc.... not that I would ever break the speed limit! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

sudzs wrote: »
    What about on a 457 visa?? :confused:

Same as a holiday...its not PR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭emma82

We're in NSW & hubby went to RTA place yesterday & they told him he cant change to Oz licence until he has been fully resident in Aus for 6 mths. If you leave to travel within that time your 6 mths starts all over again. He can drive on Irish licence til then.

After the 6 mths he can change to Aus licence, fee is $75 (I think) needs bank statement, Irl driver licence, passport. They can track when he arrived Aus from passport. Documentation, pics etc done at appt with them n then licence arrives in post. Not sure what they do with his Irl licence. Didnt ask that!!

We're on a 457 btw if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Same as a holiday...its not PR

Yeah if you have a temporary visa (whv, 457) then nope
    PR yeah

decent guide here http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/gid_english.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement