Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Meeting in Greystones (Happy Pear) 13th Oct : Dont Pay the Household Tax

Options
  • 12-10-2011 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi Greystones boardsies ;)

The Campaign against Household and Water Taxes (CAHWT) has organised a public meeting in the Happy Pear café in Greystones on Thursday the 13th of October, at 8pm. All are welcome, there is a facebook event here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=270514376315063 . This meeting is aimed at people from Greystones, Delgany and Kilcoole, there will be another meeting in Newtown in 2 weeks time (details TBC).

CAHWT is a campaign that has come together around a common strategy of building a mass non-payment campaign to defeat the new unfair and regressive taxes being imposed on us by the government in order to pay for bank bailouts. This tactic has suceeded before in Dublin during the fight against water taxes in 1994, where up to 10,000 people joined the campaign.

The campaign's aim is to facilitate the setting up of local neighbourhood groups organising for non-payment and for the bottom-up creation of regional and city federations of local groups and a national federation on a democratic, participatory basis.

http://www.nohouseholdtax.org/
    nohouseholdtaxgreystones@gmail.com

Hope to see you there!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

To be honest I'm very shocked at this event...

why would anyone encourage people not to pay taxes... whatever the tax may be :eek:

At the end of the day the country is nearly broke.... regardless of who is the cause or pointing the finger etc it needs to recover and action has to be taken in order for us to ever get out of the mess we are in...and by people encouraging this type of behaviour will only slow down the recovery process.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

cocker5 wrote: »

why would anyone encourage people not to pay taxes... whatever the tax may be :eek:

At the end of the day the country is nearly broke.... regardless of who is the cause or pointing the finger etc it needs to recover and action has to be taken in order for us to ever get out of the mess we are in...and by people encouraging this type of behaviour will only slow down the recovery process.

Do you think the average low to middle income earner can afford this?
    Do you have any idea how financially tough it is for many families at the moment?
    Do you think that revenue that will be collected will be used wisely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If you're not happy about the bank bailouts then protest about the bank bailout. I went on an anti Nama march two years ago and all we could muster was a few hundred.

Lots of public services in recent years were paid for by stamp duty taxes, I heard one figure of €100K for house sale in 2006. Now that the credit avenue is dead, services have to be funded somehow and domestic displeasure with how the Irish political system deals with the banks is not the concern of the ratepayers of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

2011 wrote: »
    Do you think the average low to middle income earner can afford this?
    Do you have any idea how financially tough it is for many families at the moment?
    Do you think that revenue that will be collected will be used wisely?

do you think anyone can afford it??? the answer is no.... i cant afford it either... but ill have to cut back in other areas to afford it....

its financailly tough on EVERYONE at the mo.... myself included.... dont presume just because im not out protesting and refusing to pay my taxes that i have disposable income and can afford anymore taxes... because i dont.

In many other countries they have similar taxes.. ie in the UK like council tax....

with regard to they way the money is spent by the revenue... i have no idea where it will be spent... probably go towards upgrading the current water pipping systems in Ireland that are practically crumbling... or maybe towards social welfare... its not my choice where it goes but the fact remains the country in in dire straits.... people refusing to pay what taxes they LEGALLY have to pay will just prolong the pain. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.
    We elected the last couple of Governments.
    The people get the Government they deserve.
    This is merely, much needed, revenue generation.
    There will be low wage exemptions.
    Everyone has to play their part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

^^^ What the others have said.

The simple fact is that when domestic rates were abolished and income tax reduced not that long ago, the shortfall was made up by huge amounts of income derived from the property boom, mainly stamp duty and VAT on house purchases. That source of income has now dried up, so it has to be replaced by other, more sustainable, sources that aren't dependent on passing fads. More of a return to sanity than austerity in my view.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

do you think anyone can afford it??? the answer is no.... i cant afford it either... but ill have to cut back in other areas to afford it....
    Like you I will have to cut back in other areas to pay this. But at least we have the option, many don't.

It will be same old story of the same ever decreasing pool of people picking up the tab.

I admit I will end up paying it. I'm just sick of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Political forum is this way ->

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement