Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time insomniac and boards.ie post!

Options
  • 12-10-2011 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi folks,

This is my first ever forum post so apologies if I've gone about this the wrong way! Anyway, I started sleeping badly about 3 months ago, just one or two nights a week, then it slowly escalated and this weekend past, I reached breaking point, about 1-2 hours sleep a night for 4 consecutive nights. I collapsed in work. My health is suffering. I am a massage therapist and am always giving my clients advice for poor sleep, none of the stuff I've recommended(aromatherapy, valerian, calcium/magnesium supplements, meditation, dietary changes and exercise to name a few) have worked for me. I am generally in good health, I don't drink too much, I do smoke but have cut down - especially before bed-time, my diet is healthy, I rarely drink caffeinated drinks - if I do it's always in the morning, I am quite a happy person too who always slept blissfully well before now. So this has been beyond frustrating. My sleep pattern has changed a little in recent months, I moved in with my boyfriend, who works nights. I know this must be part of the problem, but we just moved in together! We don't want separate beds already!! Something else that changed is I went from being self-employed to working in a spa, it's really busy and my work is so physical, sometimes I feel like I've taken on a lot of negative energy by the end of a busy day. I don't usually go in for the energy side of my work but I also think there must be something in it! I got a prescription from the doctor for some Zileze(pretty strong sleeping tablets) but I really don't want to resort to them, I've heard you can become pretty dependent on them and your insomnia worsens if you stop. I'm thinking of trying craniosacral therapy, been hearing lots of good about it. Anyway, just wanted to get some feedback from people who also suffer from insomnia. Thanks for listening! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi Beccafly just to say as far as I can see you've posted in the right forum and your post is perfectly acceptable... and there has been 167 views of this post in about 5 days, so don't get discouraged, the reason you have no replies is probably that people don't have an answer to give you. You seem to know a lot about all the remedies already, and on boards we're not supposed to ask and give medical advice, so it does restrict replies.

I'm sorry I have no reply other than that for you either. I have a look at this forum once in a while, but am no expert I'm afraid.

But it is a friendly community and welcome to boards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 beccafly

Thanks Mountainsandh, you're probably right about why no-one's responded so far! I asked the doctor if he had any other advice and his response was "sure you could write the book!". Have been sleeping marginally better this week so finger's crossed it keeps up, I think my lack of sleep has been, in part, perpetuated by the fear of not falling asleep. Vicious circle! Anyway, it's nice to be welcomed, will have to start looking at other forums now, at least now I'll have something to do when I'm wide awake! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Youre not alone.
    Ive been suffering a lot from insomnia latley. Ive tried so many sleeping tablets from the doctor, and the most sleep i get with them is 4 hours, which is really frustrating.
    My problem is my mind goes racing the minute i go to bed.
    Im trying counsilling now, just to see if i can get to root of problem as i hate having to take so many tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear younarent sleeping well, there is nothing worse.

You mentioned energy work in the spa where you work .. Why don't you ask one of the energy therapist to work on you in their spare time ( a barter system would work well )
    If it is a busy spa with lots of different therapies it is bind ton have an effect.
    Even if energy therapy is not some thing you would normally go for, sure why not give it a go, you have tried everythingnelse, and it cannot do you any harm :-)

Advertisement