Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raymond Carver

• 12-10-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

http://www.newyorker.com/online/2007/12/24/071224on_onlineonly_carver

I've always admired Raymond Carver's succinct writing style. Today I found this link to his story "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love," except it's not. The article shows Carver's original story "Beginners," as well as the changes his editor suggested to bring it to the final version. In my opinion the edited version is far superior.

It made me feel much better about my own writing :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I bought his book Beginners recently, which is the original version of What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, right?

I'm kind of new to his work, but had known some of his poetry before. His poetry was excellent. I love some of the stories in the book. Enjoying it a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Antilles wrote: »
    In my opinion the edited version is far superior.

It made me feel much better about my own writing :)

Agreed. All any of us need now is a hotshot editor from The New Yorker to go over our work, and we'll be sorted!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I can't believe how much was chopped out of it! Definitely an eye-opener. How did you find that post and where can I read more like it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

I was reading the introduction to Orwell's 'Down and Out in Paris and London' today and one of the pieces of advice his editor gave him was that he had great descriptive power but that it got tiresome reading pages of it when it would have been fine after a few lines.

It is, indeed, comforting to know that even the greats have benefited from this kind of advice.

Advertisement