Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mdf manufacturers

Options
  • 12-10-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hope someone can help me please just wondering is there a difference in the quality of different manufacturers of MDF and if there is who is the best manufacturers ????
    thanks paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

massive differance depends on what your gonna do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

paul127 wrote: »
    Hope someone can help me please just wondering is there a difference in the quality of different manufacturers of MDF and if there is who is the best manufacturers ????
    thanks paul
    I used to be a cabinetmaker (still am but out of work at moment) and we used to use Medite MDF as it was the best for what we made. There are a few and it really depends what you want to use it for. For example, Medite was really good if you needed to sand and polish edges for a high quality finnish. Infact we were told that medite was the best MDF in the world (also made in Ireland) Dont know how true that is though. I havnt done cabinetmaking for a number of years, so things may have changed. Wish I could get back into cabinetmaking but cant find a job in Dublin at moment.
    http://www.medite-europe.com/en/
    Hope this is of some small help to you.
    Medite to put it simply> sands good, shapes well, glues well and paints, stains and polishes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

marknine wrote: »
    I used to be a cabinetmaker (still am but out of work at moment) and we used to use Medite MDF as it was the best for what we made. There are a few and it really depends what you want to use it for. For example, Medite was really good if you needed to sand and polish edges for a high quality finnish. Infact we were told that medite was the best MDF in the world (also made in Ireland) Dont know how true that is though. I havnt done cabinetmaking for a number of years, so things may have changed. Wish I could get back into cabinetmaking but cant find a job in Dublin at moment.
    http://www.medite-europe.com/en/
    Hope this is of some small help to you.
    Medite to put it simply> sands good, shapes well, glues well and paints, stains and polishes well.

I would have to disagree im sorry i would only use medite if there was no way it had to be sanded I would use valpopan or a moisture resistant equivalent that stuff is great for machining and sanding

but haven said that i suppose it depends on what your use to

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

I would have to disagree im sorry i would only use medite if there was no way it had to be sanded I would use valpopan or a moisture resistant equivalent that stuff is great for machining and sanding

but haven said that i suppose it depends on what your use to
    Thanks for that One shot on kill I havnt done canbinetmaking for a few years now, as I changed my to other kind of work. Would love to get back into it, but cant find anyone that will take me on. Think I may be blaclisted due to were I used to work. (long story, But I didnt do anything wrong in case your wondering)
    Yeah we used mostly medite as it was the best at the time and all our work was high quility. Cant say I used many other brands and Im sure thing have changed. Best of luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

medite definately at its price range. moisture resistant is a better product to machine though it is considerably more expensive so hence the reason i use medite more often.
    I got a pallet of what was supposed to be a good quality similar standard to medite a few months back and definately reckon it was the worst mdf ever got. was more in keeping with hardboard than mdf and just drank finishes. sorry i dont know the name of it but usually just refer to it as that sh*te to any of the sales reps i deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paul127

Thanks for all the info . Started makeing my skirting and arc and just woundering dose anyone know where i can get inch mrmdf made by valpopan or equivelant :confused:

Advertisement