Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Xbox Dashboard 06.12.2011

Options
  • 12-10-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭

Want early access to the new dashboard? Signup now!

http://majornelson.com/2011/10/12/xbox-live-public-preview-program/
    At E3 we announced the new Xbox LIVE dashboard which will deliver intuitive navigation, increased responsiveness and improved engagement with Xbox experiences – all beginning this holiday. Now that our work on the dashboard is almost complete, we are announcing an open call for all Xbox LIVE members to register to participate in a preview program to help us test the system. This is an important program as we continually strive to ensure the reliability of a service that reaches tens of millions globally. We could not do so without the ongoing help of our great community.

Once this program is kicked off, an update will be pushed to your console that will contain select dashboard features, including:

New design with integrated Kinect voice and gesture controls
    Beacons
    Facebook Sharing
    Cloud Storage for Game Saves and Xbox LIVE Profile
    Other features and entertainment partner apps may come into view during the program period.

Note: A console in the program is expected to remain fully compatible with standard retail consoles not in the program. (e.g. party chat will function)

For those familiar with previous registrations for our program, we have a new model for registering your consoles this year. The new model is a more automated process that should make it easier for you. We will not ask you to type in your console information upon initial registration; once you are approved to participate in the program, look for details on our portal about how to register your console.

Click here for the initial register for the Public Preview.

The latest information will be available to you via the www.connect.microsoft.com/xboxliveupdate program portal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

May aswell. I got in the last dash beta and while I was not a fan of it compared to the older one it was fine. Gave me more time to get used to upgrade options and where they had moved to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Signed up but looks like this is gonna be focused around people who have kinect so not holding my breath. Saw some pics of it and it looks a lot like the tile layout from windows 8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Kenny_D wrote: »
    Signed up but looks like this is gonna be focused around people who have kinect so not holding my breath. Saw some pics of it and it looks a lot like the tile layout from windows 8
    Yeah, I don't have a Kinect, or use streaming services, not expecting to get in

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Have kinect so does that mean im certain to be included?
    I suppose skype isnt going to be included in the new set up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

If you are successful it tells you right away, and that your status is active.

Edit : You should see this :
    Xbox LIVE Update Program - Fall 2011

We appreciate your interest and support in helping us to test out the latest updates. This is an important update as we continually strive to improve our products and we could not do so without the help of our great Xbox community.

When do I Register My Console(s):

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Cheers calex, looks like I'm in so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

calex71 wrote: »
    If you are successful it tells you right away, and that your status is active.

Edit : You should see this :

I didnt look too closely at that but I assumed that it meant my submission was active rather that my participation in the program was active. Didnt realise I was in! Last time I did this the Xbox had its final and most fatal red ring. Assuming the slim will fare better...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

This is the message I got:
    Thank you for your interest in the Xbox LIVE Update Preview Program!

If you are reading this message you have successfully completed your registration for the program and no further action is necessary at this time. The program will officially start within the next two weeks, at which time all registrants will receive an e-mail update informing you of your program status. Until then, please be patient and check back on this site for general program related updates.

You have successfully applied to Xbox LIVE Update - Preview Fall 2011 and your status is Active

I have a 60GB HDMI fat xbox. I do not have Kinect...

also see this on the next page (connect.microsoft.com/XboxLIVEUpdate/Preview_Fall_2011)
    Xbox LIVE Update Program - Fall 2011

We appreciate your interest and support in helping us to test out the latest updates. This is an important update as we continually strive to improve our products and we could not do so without the help of our great Xbox community.

When do I Register My Console(s):

This year we have a new model for console registration so you were not asked to manually provide it during initial registration (as was the case in previous programs). We will provide details on the new process via this portal as soon as we are ready to start having consoles registered

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Looks like I am in too.

Cool....should be interesting, I kept missing these betas in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I decided to sign up for this too... I seriously hope I don't regret it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I decided to sign up for this too... I seriously hope I don't regret it!

I hear it might disable you from playing BF3 :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Cool, signed up.. Cheers OP

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I hear it might disable you from playing BF3 :pac::pac::pac:

Hence why I'm only putting it on one of my consoles!!! Thanks for putting a hex on me too... anything goes wrong and stops me for playing BF3 on release, I'm coming after you, Mr Freeze... with a hair dryer :p

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Didn't the last Dash Beta prevent you from joining parties etc with people who haven't opted into the Beta? I'd check it out otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

That was because there was a codec update for the new dashboard so those in the preview could not chat with anyone not in the preview.

Party and voice chat will not be affected this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The last major Dash update included a changed codec for use in Party Chat, which meant that someone with the new codec installed couldn't chat with someone with the old codec installed.

In MajorNelson's announcement, it mentions:
    Note: A console in the program is expected to remain fully compatible with standard retail consoles not in the program. (e.g. party chat will function)

Both posters above are right. The previous update changed the codec on voice but this one shouldn't cause any problems with connecting to people who aren't part of the preview/beta program.

However, it is worth mentioning that this is a preview/beta so there may be problems. So don't participate unless you are willing to risk a few issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I'm in aswell, I got in to the last one, Which gave us kinect for free, Obviously there won't be anything like that this time around. Anyone know when it starts, It's normally a day or two after sign up is no longer available. My guess it will be next week.

I have two Xboxes, so want to make sure it goes on the right one. They have a new system for registering your consoles now, Not sure how it will work now, It use to be just typing in your serial number and that would it.

Also loving the new cloud service for gamesaves/profile. That is going to be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

In myself too, download done just waiting for MS to let her rip now. 158mb seems substantial alright. Having the slim 250gb, win 7 , windows phone and kinect may have sealed the deal alright :D

hightower1 wrote: »
    In myself too, download done just waiting for MS to let her rip now. 158mb seems substantial alright. Having the slim 250gb, win 7 , windows phone and kinect may have sealed the deal alright :D

Where did you download the update from, Haven't seen any info on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Damn. :(
    Unfortunately, the program you are trying to join is no longer accepting new participants. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Damn. :(

That means the release is imminent!!

Thor wrote: »
    Where did you download the update from, Haven't seen any info on it.

They accepted me very shortly after signging up, when I got home and powered on the console it let me know an update i avail so it downloaded it. Its just sitting in the hdd now taking up space til they decide to activate it. Hopefully it wont be too long now, horrible knowing all the voive controll goodness is there and ready to go but just cant use it.

The mango update for the phone went the same way, zune got an update a few days before and then MS simply sends out an activation message when they area ready to release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Could that have been the mandatory update everyone got on Tuesday?

They accepted me very shortly after signging up, when I got home and powered on the console it let me know an update i avail so it downloaded it. Its just sitting in the hdd now taking up space til they decide to activate it. Hopefully it wont be too long now, horrible knowing all the voive controll goodness is there and ready to go but just cant use it.

The mango update for the phone went the same way, zune got an update a few days before and then MS simply sends out an activation message when they area ready to release.

I'm pretty sure that was just the update everyone got on the 11th.

They also haven't opened the registration for consoles yet, So they wouldn't have applied it yet.

It's probably going to be something like the next console you sign in at after clicking a button on the connect website.

There was issues last time because some people either entered the code incorrectly or used an older Xbox that they no longer had, It took them awhile to get the serial numbers changed and they were sitting with Kinect but no update.

I'm pretty sure that was just the update everyone got on the 11th.

They also haven't opened the registration for consoles yet, So they wouldn't have applied it yet.

It's probably going to be something like the next console you sign in at after clicking a button on the connect website.

There was issues last time because some people either entered the code incorrectly or used an older Xbox that they no longer had, It took them awhile to get the serial numbers changed and they were sitting with Kinect but no update.

Well considering the file is 158mb in size and is saved as a config file labled something like "xbox improvement program" and not been activated yet I dont think so. In work atm so cant think of the exact title but I will take a quick snap shot tonight and add it up.

Did anone else get this yet? Anyone wanna check thier HDD for system info and see if they have the same file there? TBH I never really bothered to look under system info storage before so it could be a standard thing. Oddly named if it is though.

Well considering the file is 158mb in size and is saved as a config file labled something like "xbox improvement program" and not been activated yet I dont think so. In work atm so cant think of the exact title but I will take a quick snap shot tonight and add it up.

Did anone else get this yet? Anyone wanna check thier HDD for system info and see if they have the same file there? TBH I never really bothered to look under system info storage before so it could be a standard thing. Oddly named if it is though.

Ah, My point was that they haven't opened up registration for the consoles yet,Meaning they have no idea what console you will be using, So sending an update would be a waste of time.

Not sure what the files on your hdd are, Possibly old files, But generally speaking, Microsoft have never sent out an update for it to be applied later on an Xbox 360.

We will find out shortly.

I only have one console already registered (recently in the last 2 weeks in fact , was trying to my live IDs in order) maybe thats something to do with it, anyways here is a pic of the file:

http://omg.wthax.org/WP_000005.jpg

Anyone else with kinect have that in their hdd under system items?
    Maybe its part of kinects operation with sending data back to MS? Seems a little large for a simple protocol though.

I only have one console already registered (recently in the last 2 weeks in fact , was trying to my live IDs in order) maybe thats something to do with it, anyways here is a pic of the file:

http://omg.wthax.org/WP_000005.jpg

Anyone else with kinect have that in their hdd under system items?
    Maybe its part of kinects operation with sending data back to MS? Seems a little large for a simple protocol though.

Correct, That is just the information collected by Kinect for improving stuff like voice recognition.

• Advertisement

Correct, That is just the information collected by Kinect for improving stuff like voice recognition.

Ahhhhhh that explains it then, seems really large of a simple protocol? Weird. Anywho roll on the update then!

Advertisement