Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Xbox Dashboard 06.12.2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

An yep, that's it done in like 5 miinutes or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Shred wrote: »
    An yep, that's it done in like 5 miinutes or so!

Boo-urns, me and my ****ty 3 and a half mb eircom in the shticks, lucky you....:D

100Mb FTW! Yes I'm liking the voice control so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

100Mb FTW! Yes I'm liking the voice control so far

Thats all I honestly care about, the lazy boy approach, ha ha... ;)

Yep, me too, feck that reaching for the controller malarkey :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I still don't have it yet, I'm in Waterford. Anyone around that particular area been lucky? :P

Hmm, bing voice search doesn't appear to be working; I can get to bing search but it doesn't respond when I say "Halo" or whatever. Was this covered in the thread already?

Feck it, off to the sack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Just got it there. I'm in Waterford city. Its a small update, doesn't take long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Having used it for 3 or 4 weeks now the biggest win as far as im concerned is cloud storage for saves and profiles.

I move between my own place during the week and my folks place at the week end and the amount of times I've forgotten my memory key or not copied my save to it etc was beyond a joke. Now all I need worry about is if I have the game dvd with me.

That said I can take an age to sync games like skyrim due to the size of game saves and the number of auto save points you have in use in that all normal games work like a charm. Also that makes use of background downloads so after you turn the xbox off if you play a game with big saves on a slow connection the xbox will be half on for a while. Again not their fault but irritating when you are trying to go to sleep and the xbox is busy in the background uploading your saves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

No update for me yet. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Installed it a half an hour ago, but haven't really done much with it yet. I have to admit I can see myself using the cloud storage for game saves, and the facility to have your profile on more than one console, so I will be interested in how that performs. None of the saves that I transferred to the cloud storage mechanism were particularly large, so they all seemed to store quite quickly initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

allanb49 wrote: »
    hightower, i've been saying this for years and am a strong microsoft supporter, people will always find a way to justify spending the same amount but not getting the same service,

If only microsoft had a european base in ireland or some sort of support centre here, maybe there would be more clarity on the issue.....

Microsoft / Xbox support Centre for UK and Ireland is in Swords. :rolleyes:

Unless you were being sarcastic... and in that case... :cool:

Meh the update is ok, voice control is nice but utter lack of Browser, Youtube, BBC, RTE Player etc is very noticible.

Also HATE the lack of auto sign in. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

they got rid of the main inside xbox stuff, so it's now very very bare i think,

Yup Skinful, i know, also MS HQ is up in Sandyford :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

No youtube which sucks, but there are more stuff being rolled out in the next few weeks/months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

How is the cloud storage working? I read that it is limited to 500MB, which sounds like it only saves the most recent stuff. So if I'm at a mates and we drag out an old game that I haven't played in months, does that mean I am out of luck? Hope I'm wrong and misunderstood it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hmm, bing voice search doesn't appear to be working; I can get to bing search but it doesn't respond when I say "Halo" or whatever. Was this covered in the thread already?
    Voice control works pretty well, and the Kinect integration is cool - but there are some places in the Dash that you can get to and will still need to have a controller to back out of.

Unfortunately Bing Voice search is only in certain markets for now (although they did announce that Ireland would be getting it in 2012). Link stating that it is US, Canada and UK in English for now. I can't seem to find the older press release that stated it would be coming to 24 additional markets (including Ireland - specifically mentioned) within the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

Still no voice control on dvds, had gotten used to it on sky player. It has real trouble hearing me say apps for some reason, otherwise the voice control works fairly well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

hightower1 wrote: »
    Buy yet they are allowed market xbox live as one cross contry entity? They really should have it tiered better seeing as one can access (for example) mjor nelsons blog globally but yet half the news there only referrs to US /UK versions of live. In reality US /UK should only have access to GOLD live accounts, al other regions should be classed as Silver and non paid subs as bronze. At least it would serve as a bit of aknowlagment that what you pay for @ the same price as everyone is not what everyone actually gets
    In fairness, Microsoft can market XBox Live as a single entity because they own all the rights to XBox Live and can move to martket it in whatever countries that take it's fancy. On the other hand there are different Movie Studios and record companies that own the rights to different material in different regions.

It's simpler in the US because that is all a single region, so they can clear it with the rights holder once and it is available across all 50 states. In Europe given the above example, although there are 27 states in the EU each is its own jurisdiction with different laws and with different distributors for the material in each one. (e.g. a film that is distributed by Fox Searchlight in the US could be distributed by Film4 in the UK and by Pathé / Canal+ in France, etc.)

While they should be able to do this easily enough, they probably weigh up the effort required against the potential returns for it and call it good.
    hightower1 wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you there, MS signed up conracts with major channel providers in the US that THEY had chased up not the other way around. When you pay a subscription service the mainstay of that is for the content but also the payment is for maintenence of the service along with continual improvement programs. As far as non US / UK accounts are concerned we get less on two of those accounts than the other regions. We pay 60eur a year for MS to continually add more content and its THEIR responsibility to do so, to chase that down and add it where appropraite NOT to sit back and wait for people to bring ideas / services to them.

A quick tip - don't pay €60 a year for your Gold membership. There's a thread floating around this forum that has details of how to get the same membership for about €35. It's much better value and we feel less gipped that the US get all the really cool stuff. :)

I agree that it should easily be possible for RTÉ / TV3 to add an application to this list for XBox Live support (and who knows what level of contact Microsoft have had with them on this), but they would have to weigh up the costs (developing the App, hosting a server farm to link to XBox Live, etc.) against the potential advantages (would it increase viewers or advertising revenue, etc.)

Also to consider is the rights issue, otherwise known as the 'Fair City' effect - where RTÉ who create the show themselves are unable to make it available online or their own RTÉ One +1 channel because the actors objected to it. (See here for more on that).

Rather than seeing the XBox as an extension of the existing RTÉ Player and associated rights, the relevant rights holders might see it as a new method of delivery and request a renegotiation of the contracts.

It's a minefield, really, and even thought we are really getting gipped, we are lucky to even have what we do. And if you get your Gold for €35 instead or €60, it helps ease the pain a little :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

so did we get any TV stuff at all?

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    so did we get any TV stuff at all?

not at the moment anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

If you don't have kinect this update seems quite pointless.
    New lick of wallpaper job. No major announced apps on release is a big letdown.

Even youtube would be cool to get when the update came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Skinfull wrote: »

Meh the update is ok, voice control is nice but utter lack of Browser, Youtube, BBC, RTE Player etc is very noticible.

Also HATE the lack of auto sign in. :mad:

Looks like your looking for a pc rather than a gaming console :-)

The majority of the apps are due for release around the 9th. Except for ireland.... we get nothing

Vicxas wrote: »
    The majority of the apps are due for release around the 9th. Except for ireland.... we get nothing

You think we'd at least get things like 4OD, things we can access here online.

Hopefully we will get something in the near future.

Isnt 4OD Uk only?

Isnt 4OD Uk only?

Nearly sure I watched Skins on it a few years ago.

Isnt 4OD Uk only?

i've watched it over here on my pc

4OD is available here. It was temporarily unavailable (about 6-10 months) for a while when they switched from an installable app to the web version. It's pretty damn cool.

Voice control works pretty well, and the Kinect integration is cool - but there are some places in the Dash that you can get to and will still need to have a controller to back out of.

Unfortunately Bing Voice search is only in certain markets for now (although they did announce that Ireland would be getting it in 2012). Link stating that it is US, Canada and UK in English for now. I can't seem to find the older press release that stated it would be coming to 24 additional markets (including Ireland - specifically mentioned) within the next year.

Yeah I did see that link last night alright, pain in the bum, it's taken 18 months to get voice control here to start with. I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason, but if I can now use voice control for almost everything else why not Bing :confused:

• Advertisement

Media rights issues blurgh

Nice explanation, thanks.

Oh and anyone paying full whack for Live needs to take a good look at themselves!

Advertisement