Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Xbox Dashboard 06.12.2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Shred wrote: »
    Oh and anyone paying full whack for Live needs to take a good look at themselves!

eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

jester77 wrote: »
    How is the cloud storage working? I read that it is limited to 500MB, which sounds like it only saves the most recent stuff. So if I'm at a mates and we drag out an old game that I haven't played in months, does that mean I am out of luck? Hope I'm wrong and misunderstood it.

It is limited to 512MB alright. From what I saw of it, if you enable cloud storage, it will create an additional storage device on the console, which in effect grabs a 512MB section of the HDD for locally stored/cached copies of games in the cloud. Then when playing games, you will have the choice of your HDD, or this mechanism as the place to save games, similar to if you have a memory unit, or one of the consoles originally supplied with no HDD and internal memory that had a HDD added since.

With that being the case, any previous games you played will have to be moved (copying is unsupported, and ultimately pointless as it's still on the drive) to the cloud storage space manually before you can access it on other consoles. I did this last night with a few of my recent games, and it was easy, but if you have enough of a back catalogue, it could be slow! From what I can see, it will not automatically pick games to sync, rather you have full control over that, and if you somehow get tight on space in the 512, you will have to decide which ones you really want in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

cython wrote: »
    It is limited to 512MB alright. From what I saw of it, if you enable cloud storage, it will create an additional storage device on the console, which in effect grabs a 512MB section of the HDD for locally stored/cached copies of games in the cloud. Then when playing games, you will have the choice of your HDD, or this mechanism as the place to save games, similar to if you have a memory unit, or one of the consoles originally supplied with no HDD and internal memory that had a HDD added since.

With that being the case, any previous games you played will have to be moved (copying is unsupported, and ultimately pointless as it's still on the drive) to the cloud storage space manually before you can access it on other consoles. I did this last night with a few of my recent games, and it was easy, but if you have enough of a back catalogue, it could be slow! From what I can see, it will not automatically pick games to sync, rather you have full control over that, and if you somehow get tight on space in the 512, you will have to decide which ones you really want in it.

Cheers, sounds good that they allow you to choose what goes into the partition and that it doesn't just fill it as you play, i like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

No sign of YouTube:mad: this frustrates me as i have been waiting eagerly since it was announced because i have a small netbook and a tv attached to wall with all connections on the back. Anyone see it with their UK accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

It looks terrible... I dont want cloud saving or youtube or a microsoft phone I JUST WANT TO PLAY GAMES!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Looks like your looking for a pc rather than a gaming console :-)

Not at all. I want a media centre. Like the PS3, which can browse online (albeit badly) watch youtube, RTE player and sky. Yeah Xbox has Sky but why not the rest too?

Like the poster said before me, without Kinect its only a face lift with no real functionality update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

brianon wrote: »
    eh?

Said partially in jest of course, you can get it for circa €35 as opposed to €60 here

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Skinfull wrote: »
    Not at all. I want a media centre. Like the PS3, which can browse online (albeit badly) watch youtube, RTE player and sky. Yeah Xbox has Sky but why not the rest too?

Like the poster said before me, without Kinect its only a face lift with no real functionality update.

I had bought a Boxee box not so long ago, then I heard about this update and thought that I had wasted my money. There is barely anything useful in the update but I'd imagine the addition of the App Store will eventually have some sort of impact.

Anyone got the Xbox Companion App yet? Cant find it on the marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

rossc007 wrote: »
    I had bought a Boxee box not so long ago, then I heard about this update and thought that I had wasted my money. There is barely anything useful in the update but I'd imagine the addition of the App Store will eventually have some sort of impact.

Anyone got the Xbox Companion App yet? Cant find it on the marketplace.

apparently that's a bit delayed too....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Why are people complaining that the console doesn't have things that are best used on the PC anyway? Youtube etc ?

What's wrong with playing some xbox and having your laptop beside you for Youtube ?

The only reason i'd ever use a browser/youtube on a console is if all my pcs broke at once..

Like the new update, kinect control works well. and can understand any accent i try.. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

All apps minus sky player, facebook and twitter have been delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Anyone else who was in the Dashboard Preview not get a prompt to update? I still have the pre-release channel on my dash...

Instead though, I got prompted to accept some new Terms of Use...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Anyone else who was in the Dashboard Preview not get a prompt to update? I still have the pre-release channel on my dash...

Instead though, I got prompted to accept some new Terms of Use...

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

TheChrisD wrote: »

Beta is supposedly still running for us, but for new apps only.

Useless really, as it seems Ireland is getting no apps!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Korvanica wrote: »
    Why are people complaining that the console doesn't have things that are best used on the PC anyway? Youtube etc ?

What's wrong with playing some xbox and having your laptop beside you for Youtube ?

The only reason i'd ever use a browser/youtube on a console is if all my pcs broke at once..

Like the new update, kinect control works well. and can understand any accent i try.. :P

Its the fact that microsoft, one of the most prominent computer manufacturers said "hey you know whats gonna make your xbox even more awesome? youtube integration! and its free!..."
    And now the update that said they would have it available it isnt available or delayed or whatever.

I for one dont think the lack of youtube is a big deal for a games console, i too will use my laptop, but when they made a big deal out of it at e3 then failed to deliver.
    It reeks of ps3. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Korvanica wrote: »

This update was advertised as a "game changer", but I still have to change games manually :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

the additional voice control is good but i still have to use the controller to navigate, play, pause etc my videos :( meh that's all i wanted in this update

theteal wrote: »
    the additional voice control is good but i still have to use the controller to navigate, play, pause etc my videos :( meh that's all i wanted in this update

I thought they were integrated. Did i not see some commercials doing a demo for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Srooney03

What a crock of s*hit update that was

Jeez people patience.

They put down the foundation for the app store. Once they actually launch that it will be awesome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I thought they were integrated. Did i not see some commercials doing a demo for that?

i think it works if you go into zune for the paid/downloaded films from microsoft. it doesn't work in your own media library i.e. i have a 1tb drive full of films + 2 laptops on the network that stream to the xbox, the controller has to be used once you get to the media part - please make sense of that, my brain is fried today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

When is 4OD due to come online does anyone know?

The only things in the TV bit on my UK profile are Sky player,LoveFilm and Zune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Be useful if it was available for iPhone or Android devices

calex71 wrote: »

It wouldn't be very exclusive then would it? :P

As much as I would love getting it for my Sensation. I think it weighs in advantages for WP7 :)

Not long till Lumia 800 comes here and I can try it out then :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

calex71 wrote: »

Ive just downloaded iOS one. Search for 'my xbox live'. Pretty slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Anyone else have trouble getting into the Zune marketplace. It keeps saying i'm not connected to xbox live - i am - and then proceeds to sign me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

anyone having problems connecting to xbox live, i just went onto my xbox there and it wont let me connect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

ugglasdav wrote: »
    anyone having problems connecting to xbox live, i just went onto my xbox there and it wont let me connect?

Yea can't get in either. They've issued a service alert though so nothing wrong our end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

I'm having difficulty signing into xbox live, full stop :confused:

Anybody else having these issues??

Advertisement