Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Xbox Dashboard 06.12.2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Still no youtube date announced "In addition to all these great dashboard features, starting on December 6th and continuing on an ongoing basis through the holiday months, a wealth of new content will be coming to Xbox 360. New, customized applications for television, movies, internet videos, sports and music will begin rolling out from world-leading providers in more than 20 countries. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I'm still waiting on NTFS memory support. Its insane to me that Microsoft wont support their own file system, its not even like its new, Its been a Windows staple for over a decade. The Xbox even supports Mac formatted hard drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

DjFlin wrote: »
    I'm still waiting on NTFS memory support. Its insane to me that Microsoft wont support their own file system, its not even like its new, Its been a Windows staple for over a decade. The Xbox even supports Mac formatted hard drives.

It's not that simple, with an understanding of the NTFS file system and it being used by MS you'd realise it would likely never happen. NTFS permissions being the big one i'd say, but sure it's totally secure ..... once you don't connect an NTFS drive to a Linux machine which simply ignores NFTS permissions and grants you access to everything on the drive :D

calex71 wrote: »
    It's not that simple, with an understanding of the NTFS file system and it being used by MS you'd realise it would likely never happen. NTFS permissions being the big one i'd say, but sure it's totally secure ..... once you don't connect an NTFS drive to a Linux machine which simply ignores NFTS permissions and grants you access to everything on the drive :D

Yeah, its a real shame. I can understand why they dont want to support .mkv filetypes, but I'd love NTFS support. Mostly so I wouldnt need to partition my external drive, the 4GB file limit in FAT32 kills me.

I wonder what the odds of supporting exFAT are?

That same feature has saved my bacon many a time. :p

That same feature has saved my bacon many a time. :p

Me and the peoples files I've rescued off "dead" windows machines, insert ubuntu live disc, mount drive..... copy copy :D

Wish it would support mkv but then they would be a HD tool of piracy instead of the SD tool it is now ;)

• Advertisement

All in all, I'm quite upset with the new update. The Metro design is good, but badly utilised. Its very shamelessly used, up to 80% of screen space is advertising, making me question what exactly I'm paying €60 a year for.

For anyone doubting my statement about the 80% ad space, I've attached a screenshot that explains it.

[I'd like to point out that the screenshot I used is from Engadget, because I cant legally share images of the preview due to the non-disclosure agreement]

Me and the peoples files I've rescued off "dead" windows machines, insert ubuntu live disc, mount drive..... copy copy :D

Wish it would support mkv but then they would be a HD tool of piracy instead of the SD tool it is now ;)

I keep a 512MB memory stick with a small Linux distro for just such occasions. Always handy.

I see .mkv support arriving once people stop using .mkv, just like how DivX did. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Before we had a whole lane of game ads. Nothing changed. Its just arranged differently and might seem as there are more ads.

I dont really consider these too much as ads. Its just raising awarnes of whats going on.

I personally find them useful sometimes :) there were a few games ive never seen or heard of before that i found interesting just by clicking on those :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

All in all, I'm quite upset with the new update. The Metro design is good, but badly utilised. Its very shamelessly used, up to 80% of screen space is advertising, making me question what exactly I'm paying €60 a year for.

For anyone doubting my statement about the 80% ad space, I've attached a screenshot that explains it.
    In fairness, the current Dashboard does basically the same thing between the My XBox and Games Marketplace tab. There's only so much local data you can actually show in the Games tab too, what else would you like to have seen there as a matter of interest?

As for the ads themselves, well clever use of them isn't necessarily a bad thing. I mean, in the example you gave, there's an ad for the Summer of Arcade, never a bad thing to remind your users about the current deals that are available. Same goes for the Deal of the Week and even newly added content. God knows we have enough Indie's complaining about the lack of promo space they get on the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

€60 a year :eek: I pay €35 for mine

So, has it been confirmed that the YouTube app is coming out with the official release of the Dash? Or is it coming later?

I wonder what the App platform will be like. Maybe we'll see developer tools and an app ecosystem like the WP7/iOS/Android App Stores. That'd be pretty cool.

RTE and TV3 should totally look into getting their web players into the App Market. Though I wouldnt hold my breath on that. :pac:
    gizmo wrote: »
    There's only so much local data you can actually show in the Games tab too, what else would you like to have seen there as a matter of interest?

Well, I'd like it to be more like Windows Phone and Windows 8, where you can pin things to the home screen. Games you play, favorite videos, etc.

Otherwise, I'd like the ads to be aware of what I've got. For example, ever time turn on my 360 now, I'm bombarded with ads for games and map packs I already own.
    When your looking at a game, it has a "Similar Titles" pane. They should utilise that for the ad space. "Oh, he already has the Halo Anniversary Map Pack, well maybe he'd like to buy X"

Honestly, I think I was expecting too much from this update, that's why I'm so disappointed. I was really hoping for a pinnable home screen like Windows Phone/8. Instead of the Faux metro style it does use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

So what services will Ireland be getting,

or will we be getting a "condensed" version like last time,

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

allanb49 wrote: »
    So what services will Ireland be getting,

or will we be getting a "condensed" version like last time,

4oD,Youtube and VEVO are freely available on pc etc at the moment and all three have been confirmed to be coming to xbox so i would expect they will be available to us on the console.
    Would be fantastic if these were available from the official start date if only :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Still can't choose which notifications you receive :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Squaredude wrote: »
    €60 a year :eek: I pay €35 for mine

Apologies for hijacking a bit, but where did you get it for 35? (Thanks).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

chin_grin wrote: »
    Apologies for hijacking a bit, but where did you get it for 35? (Thanks).

http://www.live-codes.com/products.php?con=Xbox

Thats where I get mine....

Will you have to pay extra or will they be like the twitter/facebook addons only giving partial access though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Will you have to pay extra or will they be like the twitter/facebook addons only giving partial access though

They'ed want to give all that for free or just Gold members looking at what PSN now gives for free.

As it is you have to pay extra for Sky and Netflix.

What do you mean partial access on the FB and T apps, that's the way the apps work like on a smartphone, it's not the full website you have access to.

Youtube will most likely be the same, not the full featured site but most of it through the app again like a smartphone.

Want the full features you need a web browser and the Xbox is not getting one in the near future unless MS changes it's policy on that front. Besides who wants to browse the web using IE9 on the 360. It's bad enough on the PS3 browser.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Still can't choose which notifications you receive :mad:

Things like this are what annoy me the most, minor issues that could be easily sorted. But they're completely ignored.

What do you mean partial access on the FB and T apps, that's the way the apps work like on a smartphone, it's not the full website you have access to.

Youtube will most likely be the same, not the full featured site but most of it through the app again like a smartphone.

It just seems the Facebook integration isn't utilised well, you can look at pictures on it and update but just a little bit more functionality.

It just seems the Facebook integration isn't utilised well, you can look at pictures on it and update but just a little bit more functionality.

Yeah they might add more. They did add a feature in this beta but I don't think I can say much about it. It's only a small thing anyway that can be used as bragging rights to other gamers.

• Advertisement

Something like the ps3 in X has unlocked this while playing this.

Yeah they might add more. They did add a feature in this beta but I don't think I can say much about it. It's only a small thing anyway that can be used as bragging rights to other gamers.

Yeah, when your achievement unlocks you can hit the guide button and have it posted to FB or twitter

Yeah, when your achievement unlocks you can hit the guide button and have it posted to FB or twitter

You can even select any cheveo you have ever have unlocked in your game history and post it up.

You can even select any cheveo you have ever have unlocked in your game history and post it up.

YES, I can finally show off my Hannah Montana 1000 GS :cool:

YES, I can finally show off my Hannah Montana 1000 GS :cool:

:D

Theres a new update out. Downloading now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

new dash is due on the 6th, i doubt the update you got prompted for was the new dash

new dash is due on the 6th, i doubt the update you got prompted for was the new dash

I'm aware of that. Its an update to the preview.

Havent noticed any changes yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

Havent noticed any changes yet.

Seems to have just added Zune.

• Advertisement

Dozyart wrote: »
    Seems to have just added Zune.

Added? Zune has always been there.

Advertisement