Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Xbox Dashboard 06.12.2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

it wasnt on the beta dashboard until after last nights update....for me anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Dozyart wrote: »

It has always been there for me too. Didn't see any changes in this latest update. Behind the scenes stuff I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Dozyart wrote: »

I've always had it. It launched last year with the new (at the time) dashboard.

Does it bother anyone else that Zune takes so long to start up?
    It takes 26 seconds, from when I click on it, to when the menu appears, a bit much for whats basically the same thing as the games marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

Only saw a mention of MKV a few pages back, I played a MKV file with no issues the other day.

Anyone else successful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Antigone05 wrote: »
    Only saw a mention of MKV a few pages back, I played a MKV file with no issues the other day.

Anyone else successful?

Didn't know about that, I'll have a try in a while and see.

• Advertisement

MKV files dont show up on my Xbox. Heck, it has trouble playing a lot of my MP4 videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

I'm sitting hear watching Ides of March in MKV on the 360 with no sound issues or lag.

....and then I remembered that I'm using Tversity. Oh silly me, sorry folks getting hopes up!!

Antigone05 wrote: »
    I'm sitting hear watching Ides of March in MKV on the 360 with no sound issues or lag.

....and then I remembered that I'm using Tversity. Oh silly me, sorry folks getting hopes up!!

You monster!

For anyone interested,

If you sign in with an American GamerTag, you can download the DailyMotion app, and then use it with your Irish GamerTag. Its not very good, feels very beta, constantly freezing.

Americans also have access to Zune Music, ESPN, SyFy, and Last.FM. The Zune Music App wont work with an Irish account, and I havent tested the others out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I thought at the very least we would get 4OD, Blinkbox, Vevo and Youtube along wiht the UK seeing as all these services work in Ireland. But going by the Xbox website, we won't be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

quick question, if the new dash offers cloud storage, does that render buing the 250gb over the 4gb console a bit pointless?

quick question, if the new dash offers cloud storage, does that render buing the 250gb over the 4gb console a bit pointless?

Cloud storage is for game saves only, and its only 512mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

I wonder will we see any major changes when this goes out to all consoles on Tuesday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I wonder will we see any major changes when this goes out to all consoles on Tuesday?

Unlikely, I would assume we are on the final build.

As some have mentioned already, our app store is devoid of anything bar twitter and facebook. SO my advice is to go set up a silver UK and US account. Havent signed in on the UK one yet but I was able to get daily motion and SyFy on the us account and use it on the irish account.

DailyMotion plays well for me but the controls are rubbish and it crashes a fair bit back to the dash. Can't see anything that lets you favorite a video and the search is pure sh**e where often you have to scroll for a bit for what you searched for past stuff that is completely irrelevant.

SyFY is poo also, all it has is 1 minute clips and nothing of substance.

LastFM installs but is region locked out for us regardless of the account used to log in

calex71 wrote: »
    Unlikely, I would assume we are on the final build.

As some have mentioned already, our app store is devoid of anything bar twitter and facebook. SO my advice is to go set up a silver UK and US account. Havent signed in on the UK one yet but I was able to get daily motion and SyFy on the us account and use it on the irish account.

No utube and skype :( Hope to see them this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

No utube and skype :( Hope to see them this week.

I don't think there are any plans to include Skype in the fall update.

Thor wrote: »
    I don't think there are any plans to include Skype in the fall update.

Your right.

It will be released as an app at a later date. I'm pretty sure YouTube wont be launching with the update either, for anyone.

I wouldnt be surprised if Ireland dont get YouTube, Skype, or any good apps. We still havent got access to Xbox Live Indie Games yet.

DjFlin wrote: »
    Your right.

It will be released as an app at a later date. I'm pretty sure YouTube wont be launching with the update either, for anyone.

I wouldnt be surprised if Ireland dont get YouTube, Skype, or any good apps. We still havent got access to Xbox Live Indie Games yet.

Really? I'm pretty sure youtube was highlighted at the big update announcement that they made. There is no reason Ireland should'nt get access to it.
    On another note is it worth creating a UK silver live account?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

There's a post on Major Nelson's blog outlining what's available at launch and what's coming soon. Unfortunately for Irish people (or some of us with Irish accounts abroad, **** you MS) the future of TV this is not. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

cool we get major league baseball,

but not youtube, 4od, bbc, netflix, hulu,

feckin joke of a service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

That's pretty disappointing. I thought we would at least get 4OD as its not geoblocked. So it looks like no TV or film apps at all for ROI in this update.
    Load of boll*x.

gizmo wrote: »
    There's a post on Major Nelson's blog outlining what's available at launch and what's coming soon. Unfortunately for Irish people (or some of us with Irish accounts abroad, **** you MS) the future of TV this is not. :o

MUZU.TV
    Vevo
    MLB.TV
    DailyMotion
    Maybe YouTube

Thats everything that will be available to Irish users.

okla wrote: »
    That's pretty disappointing. I thought we would at least get 4OD as its not geoblocked. So it looks like no TV or film apps at all for ROI in this update.
    Load of boll*x.

Agree with you completely.There is no proper reason why we should'nt get 4od and youtube. Looks like i'll have to set up a UK account

It says YouTube will be available in 24 Countries Globally.

It doesn't say whether or not Ireland is one of those 24. Fingers crossed folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

will I be able to download at 00:01 tonite?

(I dont have beta preview)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

So sick of MS screwing non US / UK customers over at this stage.
    We pay the same cash each year for the service yet some get more than others? I'd say something if there was a content barrier in terms of infrastructure but as its a web dependant service there is no excuse like that. The only real barrier should be content region restriction which we could all understand but it just looks like they are not bothering with arranging on demand services for the smaller regions.

A bit of a joke considering it wouldnt have been that difficult to assign a small team per each country to talk with the respective natonal providers and hammer out a deal. in our case getting the RTE player would have been appropriate.

I guess from MS's point of view small regions arent worth the time , effort and cost of arranging deals with national providers for their online content. So if your looking for on demand tv functionality in your console xbox is the only choice...... if you live in US or UK only. :o:mad:

As the gap between what US and UK customers get grows it makes me wonder more and more why we are paying the same price as them? We are essentially on xbox live light

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

hightower, i've been saying this for years and am a strong microsoft supporter, people will always find a way to justify spending the same amount but not getting the same service,

If only microsoft had a european base in ireland or some sort of support centre here, maybe there would be more clarity on the issue.....

will I be able to download at 00:01 tonite?

(I dont have beta preview)

Probably not. It will most likely launch at 00:01 Seattle time. Which is 8 hours behind us (I think).
    hightower1 wrote: »
    So sick of MS screwing non US / UK customers over at this stage.
    We pay the same cash each year for the service yet some get more than others? I'd say something if there was a content barrier in terms of infrastructure but as its a web dependant service there is no excuse like that. The only real barrier should be content region restriction which we could all understand but it just looks like they are not bothering with arranging on demand services for the smaller regions.

A bit of a joke considering it wouldnt have been that difficult to assign a small team per each country to talk with the respective natonal providers and hammer out a deal. in our case getting the RTE player would have been appropriate.

I guess from MS's point of view small regions arent worth the time , effort and cost of arranging deals with national providers for their online content. So if your looking for on demand tv functionality in your console xbox is the only choice...... if you live in US or UK only. :o:mad:

As the gap between what US and UK customers get grows it makes me wonder more and more why we are paying the same price as them? We are essentially on xbox live light

The reason we dont get the features is simple. We're not worth the money.

If Microsoft want to launch products like Zune Music in a country, they have to pay for the licences to distribute that content. So before paying for these licences, they need to decide if there will be a return on it. Which goes something like this;

Population of Ireland = 4.5 Million
    Projected likelihood of Irish buying Xboxes = 0.75 Million
    Cost of distribution licences = X amount.

After they do the maths, they realise that by bringing these services to Ireland, they're very unlikely to break even. So they leave us alone.

This same problem is why you cant watch certain YouTube videos, or access websites like SouthParkStudios.

As for services like RTE player not being on Xbox, blame RTE. The Xbox is a popular platform, so Microsoft don't need to chase interest, they just say "Hey, we've got a platform people like, give us a call if you want to get your stuff on it".

RTE are particularly bad when it comes to this kind of stuff. They have no understanding of the modern media consumer. Over a decade ago, they were told that they should build a digital ecosystem because it was the next big thing. Flashforward to October 2010, Soarview arrives.
    They are showing signs of improvement though, they've got iOS/Androids apps, so maybe we'll see an RTE player show up. It would be a very smart move on their part, given that Soarview isnt doing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

how do i create a uk account? any risks?

• Advertisement

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    how do i create a uk account? any risks?

1. Go to https://signup.live.com/
    2. Set up a new Windows Live ID, make sure you stick in a fake UK address.
    3. Once you've set up your new ID, head over to http://www.xbox.com/en-GB and sign in. It'll ask you to pick a Gamertag and a few more things,finish that up.
    4. Turn on your Xbox, select Recover Gamertag, enter your details, it'll download your new profile.

No risks. The problem is that you're using a new profile, so your game saves, friends, achivements, etc, wont be on it.

Advertisement