Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Xbox Dashboard 06.12.2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I just noticed something about the press release. It says that the DailyMotion app wont be available until "Later in December", which means the App that we have access to is a beta version, despite its 1.0 label. So, given that its beta, I'm gonna retract my previous point about it sucking, not fair to comment on an unfinished work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

DjFlin wrote: »
    No risks. The problem is that you're using a new profile, so your game saves, friends, achivements, etc, wont be on it.

It is against MS terms and conditions. They ban accounts that they find out are created to get content from another region by setting up a "fake" account. This policy is actively enforced and they can tell, as the accounts console serial number that they were created on is detectable on the back end of Live to MS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

It is against MS terms and conditions. They ban accounts that they find out are created to get content from another region by setting up a "fake" account. This policy is actively enforced and they can tell, as the accounts console serial number that they were created on is detectable on the back end of Live to MS.

Oh. I knew it was against the T&Cs, but I've been using my US account for years now without any trouble, so I assumed it wasn't enforced.

That said, I've never used my US account to download anything other than Indie Game trials. Maybe they're a bit more sympathetic to folks who just wanna play some Indie games. :o

Speaking of Indie Games, I've just realised that as a student, I can get the Developers tools, build an Indie Game, publish it, and then not download it . Aint that something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

turned on xbox and no update as of yet,

will be getting up at 7 to check again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

turned on xbox and no update as of yet,

will be getting up at 7 to check again

Likely be around 12 - 1pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/b/community_blog/archive/2011/12/05/a-new-xbox-360-experience.aspx
    Dear Xbox LIVE Members,

On Tuesday, December 6, we’re launching a new Xbox 360 experience that connects you with your favorite entertainment and games like never before and makes finding and enjoying entertainment as simple as it should be.

It’s a vision we shared at E3 and I’d like to thank you for all of your valuable feedback along this incredible ride and share a little more about what we have in store this holiday – from Beacons, cloud storage and Facebook sharing, to our latest entertainment offerings.

Building upon our great lineup of partners, we’ve teamed up with nearly 40 of the world’s leading TV & entertainment providers to bring you an array of live and on-demand TV, movies, games, sports and music experiences. The first wave of new partners rolls out December 6 with experiences like EPIX and TODAY (MSNBC) in the US, LOVEFiLM in the UK, Sky Go in Germany, Premium Play by (MediaSet) in Italy and Telefonica España – Movistar Imagenio in Spain. And we’ll continue to roll out more entertainment content to Xbox LIVE in the coming months.

Beyond entertainment, you’ll find a number of features designed to make your Xbox experience more personal, social and effortless. The dashboard has an entirely new look and feel and a completely reimagined interface that makes your entertainment accessible through simple voice commands. Now, using voice search with Bing on Xbox, you can find and play the programming you want across multiple entertainment providers without having to search for a remote control. In the mood for ‘The Office?’ Just say “Xbox, Bing, ‘The Office,’” and Xbox will display all episodes available from various entertainment apps across the console.

2630.Bing-search-1_5F00_Search_5F00_300dpi_5F00_US.jpg

We’re also bringing you Beacons and Facebook sharing, further integrating social into your Xbox experience. Before jumping into an episode of ‘The Office,’ you can activate a Beacon to let your friends know that you want to play, say, “Gears of War 3.” Then, sit back and relax with the Dunder Mifflin crew. The Beacon will let you know when a LIVE friend is available for a round of Horde in Gears. After the game, use Facebook Sharing to tout your achievements and showcase your in-game accomplishments through direct posts.

While we’re proud of our capability to connect you remotely to the global community of more than 35 million Xbox LIVE members, sometimes there’s nothing like being with your friends and family. And so we’ve added cloud storage so you can access game saves and your LIVE profile, including achievements, from your friends’ consoles as well.

8787.share_5F00_on_5F00_facebook_5F00_v2.jpg

Lastly, with the ever-expanding library of content available, we realize Xbox is enjoyed by all members of the family. Rest assured that our parental controls have improved in parallel with this new content. Parents can manage their child’s console activity, sharing on social networking sites as well as regulate access to games, movies, television, and music. Additionally, the update brings enhanced navigation to Xbox 360 Family Settings to better integrate with Kinect.

We strive to continually innovate and bring meaningful experiences to each and every member of the Xbox LIVE community. Currently, our community is already enjoying 2.1 billion hours of entertainment each month. We imagine this number will only continue to grow as you discover enhanced entertainment on Xbox this holiday that is instantly searchable, easily discoverable and enjoyable in extraordinary new ways. We hope you enjoy this new chapter in the evolution of Xbox and continue to push us to write the next.

See you on LIVE,

Marc Whitten

That looks really good.
    Cloud storage has been needed for a while now IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Yep its likely to be around 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Hi guys,

I've renamed this thread so that we can keep everything related to the new dashboard on this thread.

People looking for answers later today will probably find everything they need to know here already without having to start up new threads.

Cheers,

Moose

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Just in case anyones wondering where the dashboard is, its due to go live @ 3pm GMT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Is the update available yet? My clock is fast lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Doing the network test to see if there's a firmware update, it's like hitting F5 over and over again. Nothing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Slightly delayed, no updated time as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

If Microsoft want to launch products like Zune Music in a country, they have to pay for the licences to distribute that content. So before paying for these licences, they need to decide if there will be a return on it. Which goes something like this;

Population of Ireland = 4.5 Million
    Projected likelihood of Irish buying Xboxes = 0.75 Million
    Cost of distribution licences = X amount.

After they do the maths, they realise that by bringing these services to Ireland, they're very unlikely to break even. So they leave us alone.

This same problem is why you cant watch certain YouTube videos, or access websites like SouthParkStudios. .

Buy yet they are allowed market xbox live as one cross contry entity? They really should have it tiered better seeing as one can access (for example) mjor nelsons blog globally but yet half the news there only referrs to US /UK versions of live. In reality US /UK should only have access to GOLD live accounts, al other regions should be classed as Silver and non paid subs as bronze. At least it would serve as a bit of aknowlagment that what you pay for @ the same price as everyone is not what everyone actually gets

As for services like RTE player not being on Xbox, blame RTE. The Xbox is a popular platform, so Microsoft don't need to chase interest, they just say "Hey, we've got a platform people like, give us a call if you want to get your stuff on it".

I have to disagree with you there, MS signed up conracts with major channel providers in the US that THEY had chased up not the other way around. When you pay a subscription service the main stayof that is for the content but also the payment is for maintenence of the service along with continual improvement programs. As far as non US / UK accounts are concerned we get less on two of those accounts than the other regions. We pay 60eur a year for MS to continually add more content and its THEIR responsability to do so, to chase that down and add it where appropraite NOT to sit back and wait for people to bring ideas / services to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Anyone get the update yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

LaVail wrote: »
    Anyone get the update yet?

When its live it will be announced here :

https://twitter.com/majornelson

Fieldog wrote: »
    When its live it will be announced here :

https://twitter.com/majornelson

Nice one, thank's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Got an Xbox newsletter two hours ago which says "Updates to Xbox LIVE start tomorrow".

I wonder if it's official that it's delayed to tomorrow, or they were just taking an educated guess based on current happenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Got an Xbox newsletter two hours ago which says "Updates to Xbox LIVE start tomorrow".

I got the same newsletter but i got it yesterday at half 7.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Disappointed this is delayed now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

Yep, got that newsletter yesterday @ 19.28 also, wtf is the delay it's 2.41 PST?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

What the hell is going on like why did I just get an allegedly LATE newsletter from Xbox Live I am so confused. What time is it over there? That Major nelson lad said something like it'll be up by the afternoon (Pacific Time)
    Gettin little to no updates on this at all like.

PS: I'm not bothered, I ignored it all day from 3pm and came back 7 hours later to find barely any info on the whole thing lol

EDIT: Annnnd I'm after noticing my question was almost answered before I even asked the question (Shred's post above me) woops lol My apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

via twitter :
    majornelson: Sorry for the dash launch delay. Good news: first set of customers will be getting the Xbox LIVE update within the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

allanb49 wrote: »
    hightower, i've been saying this for years and am a strong microsoft supporter, people will always find a way to justify spending the same amount but not getting the same service,

If only microsoft had a european base in ireland or some sort of support centre here, maybe there would be more clarity on the issue.....

I see what you did there:cool:

majorpain.png
    fuuuuz.png

Ooh hold on, I've got an update in progress!

Shred wrote: »
    Ooh hold on, I've got an update in progress!

Where you at? No sign for me yet, just signed out and in....

Not too far from you! Just powered d'Xbox back on and got the prompt

• Advertisement

Doing that now.... :)

Advertisement