Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MRI?

Options
  • 12-10-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

Been suffering with shoulder and hip/knee/ankle difficulties for a number of years and x-rays and physio and exercise have produced nothing. Do's suggested MRI scans. I've no medical cover so it's all going on the credit card. Would appreciate some help!

Firstly, are standard MRI's full-body, or focussed on one section? If focussed, does that mean I'll need to pay double for both areas to be scanned?

Secondly, I live in Dublin, who's the best value?

Thirdly,how thorough and reliable are MRIs? I'm terrified we'll find nothing and the discomfort will continue.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

MRIs tend to be focused on a particular area. A "full body" would take a long, long time and would cost accordingly.An MRI may not show the root of the problem,but if your dr is suggesting one, I presume he/she feels it will be of use.

Not sure of what's available in Dublin,mine were done in Munster but what about this place?
    http://www.euromedic.ie/price-plans/price-overview.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

MRIs tend to be focused on a particular area. A "full body" would take a long, long time and would cost accordingly.An MRI may not show the root of the problem,but if your dr is suggesting one, I presume he/she feels it will be of use.

Not sure of what's available in Dublin,mine were done in Munster but what about this place?
    http://www.euromedic.ie/price-plans/price-overview.aspx

Thanks! So it'd be 500 big ones, ouch. Dr warned public referrals can take a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Thirdly,how thorough and reliable are MRIs? I'm terrified we'll find nothing and the discomfort will continue.

I really hope you find out what is wrong with you and get help and relief.

However, an MRI is really just a high quality complicated x-ray. It is not a magic diagnostic tool. It will give your doctor more information to help the diagnosis, but will still be the responsibility of the doctor to analyse the information.

It may be that what ever is wrong with you is not visible on the MRI.

Sorry to be negative, I hope that this does help you, but there are no guarantees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

huskerdu wrote: »
    I really hope you find out what is wrong with you and get help and relief.

However, an MRI is really just a high quality complicated x-ray.

No, it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 sunnyt

Hi KH.
    MRIs are very expensive and although they are performed in public hospitals there are usually long waiting lists and public hospitals usually only accept referrals from consultants, as opposed to private clinics which accept referrals from physios and GPs.
    You really need to be properly examined by your doctor before going for an MRI, eg, you say you suffer from hip pain-this may be referred pain from the lower back and so you would need your lower back scanned instead of your pelvis.
    All MRIs are focussed-you can get a full spinal but this takes a long time to do and each body part is usually scanned individually, each one at a certain cost. An MRI is not a complicated xray-MRIs do not omit any radiation at all. There are practically no negative effects-apart from people finding them claustrophobic. That said you do need to find the cause of your pain through proper clinical examination-MRIs are a great diagnostic tool but as previously said they are not going to cure you.
    There are several private clinics in Dublin-Santry Sports Clinic, Charter in Smithfield, Euromedic Dundrum and most private hospitals have MRI scanners and would probably take a GP/physio referral. You get your scan on a CD to take with you-it is usually included in the price.
    I hope you get sorted-shop around-most places have prices on their websites. Remember though there is no point in going for a scan if you are not going to act on the results!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

No, it isn't.

Apologies for using a very simple analogy. Possibly too simple.

The OP is hoping that the MRI will diagnose their problem. I was trying to point out that it will not. It will provide information for the Doctor to try to diagnose her problem, in the same way that an X-Ray does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Apologies for using a very simple analogy. Possibly too simple.

Nope, just plain wrong.
    The OP is hoping that the MRI will diagnose their problem. I was trying to point out that it will not. It will provide information for the Doctor to try to diagnose her problem, in the same way that an X-Ray does.

A blood test or listening to the chest with a stethoscope also provides the doc with information to help in diagnosis - that doesn't make either of them 'high quality complicated xray'...s

To draw a simple analogy - pears are not high quality complicated apples

Althou if i stop being a wiseass for a minute i take your point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

How do you know it 'will not'? MRI gives soft tissue visualisation that is simply not visible on CT. The scan will be reported on by a radiologist and, depending on what is wrong with the OP, it is entirely possible that they will diagnose the problem. The radiologist will, or course, have the referral from the OP's GP containing their medical history to allow them to put some context on what they are viewing.

Advertisement