Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prime Time Presidential Debate on now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

very impressed with MMG tonight. Shame on Mirian for her unprofessional approach to the questioning. I feel sorry for Dana. she just aint cut out for this job. I feel myself turning anti Fine Gael every time the little **** mitchell speaks:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭ameliajane

I have to say I felt Miriam O'Callaghan was OTT with McGuinness. I wrote a little email to Prime Time to say how rude I think she was to him and Mary Davis. I am sorry but I was irritated by MO'C. I also informed PT that I thought they were disgraceful in the way they attacked the priest from Galway. All their reporting of him was false and unjust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

whirlpool wrote: »
    Why?

She was on a show centred around a debate for the presidency and she interrupted to take time to read out a prepared statement on a seemingly different matter altogether. Then when she was questioned on the statement she refused to give any further comments. In my opinion she shouldn't have done it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

phog wrote: »
    No time warp but he is, he only wants to talk about his past from the time th IRA laid down arms.

Ask him "When did you leave the IRA" and you'll get I was imprisoned from date to date and from date to date then I got married and wa wa wa but no real answer, surely if he was really interested in being honest he could say I left the IRA in a given month in a given year. Simple and honest.

He's a spoofer and is only interested in politics when it suits him or SF. How come the majority on this island were ignored for so long but now that it suits his way he's all about democracy now.

That to me as a question is not important in this election. And I would wager that it is not an important question for a lot of folk in this country.
    However, for the partitionists it is their silver bullet. Well it wont work.

The hypocrisy of the partitionists down here is mind boggling yet not surprising. We champion the peace process and power sharing between Sinn Fein and the DUP.

Yet when Martin McGuinness (deputy first minister) excersises his right to stand for the presidency down here, the lunatic fringe elements "mainly in the media and the blueshirts" say he is not fit for office!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

it is my opinion you have zero comprehension of politics......esp where Martin MG is involved.

You dont become elected by 10's of thousands of people time an time again by bieng a spoofer as you put it.

looking at debate tonight,all i could say is god help Ireland if this is what is presented as candidates for president .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

it is my opinion you have zero comprehension of politics......esp where Martin MG is involved.

You dont become elected by 10's of thousands of people time an time again by bieng a spoofer as you put it.

Erm, Ahern. Dempsey. O'Rourke. Martin. Mitchell. Cullen. Harney. Coughlan. o'Dea.

I'm not wearing me fingers out...

PS I'm voting MMcG #1, Higgins #2 - non-SF supporter too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Newflash!!

sinn fein are an all ireland party.

Marty is an independent is he not :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭ameliajane

Why did Dana make a statement and not fully inform us. I mean whatever the stuff is, it is going to be over the papers tomorrow anyway. What she said was a tad strange.
    ???????????

Martin for president. The only one with balls who has a history of standing
    Up against bullies.

Should look in the mirror and confront himself and his past then.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭diamondtooth

Gallagher could not admit that Fine Fail let the country down!!!
    That is a disgrace. He is a FF candidate and he can't tell the truth either.

• Advertisement

ameliajane wrote: »
    Why did Dana make a statement and not fully inform us. I mean whatever the stuff is, it is going to be over the papers tomorrow anyway. What she said was a tad strange.
    ???????????

Trying to put her speak in first before the papers and lost her bottle I would surmise ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Partitionist is the new West Brit it seems, or is it just lunatic fringe ?

dublincelt wrote: »
    Eh, have you been in a time warp since 1994???

Are you aware that there has been a peace process for the last 16 or so years?

Are you aware that he has been deputy first minister in the North?

Or does your Irishness begin and end at the Border and the 26counties?

the president repesent the republic of Ireland ,so far republic of Ireland is 26 counties,this election is for Ireland only and NOT northern ireland
    so move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I felt Martin McGuinness done ok here tonight. Gay Mitchell was his usual dull self. David Norris was entertaining, Dana and Mary I thought were both poor. Sean Gallagher was good but Michael D I think will go further ahead. Felt Michael D spoke very wel and answered all his questions with precision.

I do have a certain amount of sympathy for Dana the way things are going for her. Do we reall need to have people going around digging up dirt on these candidates?

Miriam O callaghan I thought was awful. Her attack on Martin McGuinness will have done him no harm. She was unprofessional not letting him answer questions and trying to put words in his mouth. She with her experience should have known better. Martin picked up 2 out of 3 votes within my company only because of her handling and of the debate and Gay Mitchell's constant negative attacks on everyone in the race. I will stick with Michael D for now.

Would really love to see Rodge and Podge do a sketch on Miriam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

???????????

She's a strange person. Anybody that votes for her needs their heads to be examined.

I would presume that people are only interested in this revelation now and can't remember the debate itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Yet when Martin McGuinness (deputy first minister) excersises his right to stand for the presidency down here, the lunatic fringe elements "mainly in the media and the blueshirts" say he is not fit for office!

It's power sharing. It's a monkey wrench to try to sort out the unique issues of Northern Ireland. It's not a normal state of affairs by any means.

For what it's worth I wouldn't like to see Peter Robinson running for President of Ireland either, though I'm happy he and his party are involved in power sharing.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Should look in the mirror and confront himself and his past then.

marty mcguinness didn't do well tonight,he was close too losing his cool.

Anyway they all struggled somewhat tonight, Michael D is still head and shoulders above the rest of them. He wasn't squabbly and dealt with the awkward questions posed to him (regarding religion and criticism of Israel) well I thought. He also knows 10 times more about the role than the rest of them I think. McGuinness, Davis and Gallagher did poorly in that all repeating "Article 26 Miriam!"

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

???????????

The Irish Daily Mail about to break a story tomorrow that Dana never really left the IRA in 1974.

Tell us something we don't know...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

gambiaman wrote: »
    Erm, Ahern. Dempsey. O'Rourke. Martin. Mitchell. Cullen. Harney. Coughlan. o'Dea.

I'm not wearing me fingers out...

PS I'm voting MMcG #1, Higgins #2 - non-SF supporter too!
    i was responding to a poster who referred to MMg as a spoofer.

the names you have listed were of a political party who were corrupt to the bone,who shared political ideas with developers and bankers who who broke a nation for generations to come.

if your going to respond to me,i will get back to you tommo eve as im off to bed now to cuddle up with the mrs!:D night all

David Cochrane reporting that MMcG asked to speak with Miriam privately, a few minutes after the RTE press conference just now. (!)

davidcochrane David Cochrane
    Got video of presser, will upload to YouTube. Martin McGuinness just asked to speak with Miriam privately. Odd.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

David Cochrane reporting that MMcG asked to speak with Miriam privately, a few minutes after the RTE press conference just now. (!)

Got video of presser, will upload to YouTube. Martin McGuinness just asked to speak with Miriam privately. Odd.com

He's gonna kill her!

i was responding to a poster who referred to MMg as a spoofer.

the names you have listed were of a political party who were corrupt to the bone,who shared political ideas with developers and bankers who who broke a nation for generations to come.

if your going to respond to me,i will get back to you tommo eve as im off to bed now to cuddle up with the mrs!:D night all

Raarrrrrr!
    Nope, no bother - at the heart of it - almost all politicains are spoofers.

He's telling her to be "very, very careful." Same as he did to the McCartney sisters!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have to say I felt Miriam O'Callaghan was OTT with McGuinness. I wrote a little email to Prime Time to say how rude I think she was to him and Mary Davis. I am sorry but I was irritated by MO'C. I also informed PT that I thought they were disgraceful in the way they attacked the priest from Galway. All their reporting of him was false and unjust.

Fully agree on both tese points. I will email them now. The more I think of her antics towards Martin McGuinness The more angry I get.
    Nipples get my vote
    gallagher350_971859t.jpg

Now if that was Miriam they would be closer to her knees!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Once she doesn't take him up on the offer of a lift home she'll be ok.

bleg wrote: »
    Anyway they all struggled somewhat tonight, Michael D is still head and shoulders above the rest of them. He wasn't squabbly and dealt with the awkward questions posed to him (regarding religion and criticism of Israel) well I thought. He also knows 10 times more about the role than the rest of them I think. McGuinness, Davis and Gallagher did poorly in that all repeating "Article 26 Miriam!"

Yes indeed he was the only one not rattled, even when the matronly O'Callaghan asked him did he believe in God.....the wrong answer and he would be sunk amongst the pious voters....he replied he was spiritual.

He's gonna kill her!

She's about a foot taller than him and with those big baby blues and a D4 accent that'd stop you stone cold at ten yards, she'll be ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

ambid wrote: »
    I think it was an Amnesty International badge.

Thanks.

I knew someone here would know.

TV3 now have the papers coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

The hypocrisy of the partitionists down here is mind boggling yet not surprising. We champion the peace process and power sharing between Sinn Fein and the DUP.
    We champion it, not because the current arrangements in Northern Ireland are to be admired, or even considered adequate, but because they are by an order of magnitude preferable to the bloodshed that went before.

And if MMG is "fit" for office in the South because of his role as an MLE, does it not follow that Ian Paisley should be also? Perhaps you think so. Some of us in the South aspire to higher standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Laoisman67

MMG is the only one who went on about accountability

Hilarious or what - must have been his banking background...

lugha wrote: »
    We champion it, not because the current arrangements in Northern Ireland are to be admired, or even considered adequate, but because they are by an order of magnitude preferable to the bloodshed that went before.

And if MMG is "fit" for office in the South because of his role as an MLE, does it not follow that Ian Paisley should be also? Perhaps you think so. Some of us in the South aspire to higher standards.

Indeed we deserve better and not a plastic reformed IRA man.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

I felt Miriam O'Callaghan was incredibly rude and unprofessional with Martin McGuinness. She has to remember she is an presenter, not a politician and she does not speak for the Irish people. Martin should have asked her if she got this gig because she's sleeping with RTE director.

LeoB wrote: »
    I felt Martin McGuinness done ok here tonight. Gay Mitchell was his usual dull self. David Norris was entertaining, Dana and Mary I thought were both poor. Sean Gallagher was good but Michael D I think will go further ahead. Felt Michael D spoke very wel and answered all his questions with precision.

I do have a certain amount of sympathy for Dana the way things are going for her. Do we reall need to have people going around digging up dirt on these candidates?

Miriam O callaghan I thought was awful. Her attack on Martin McGuinness will have done him no harm. She was unprofessional not letting him answer questions and trying to put words in his mouth. She with her experience should have known better. Martin picked up 2 out of 3 votes within my company only because of her handling and of the debate and Gay Mitchell's constant negative attacks on everyone in the race. I will stick with Michael D for now.

Would really love to see Rodge and Podge do a sketch on Miriam.

MMG got hammmered and was close to losing it,between that and paddy kellys son confronting him and calling mmg a liar,won't help him much
    but michael d will win for sure,best of a bad lot

Laoisman67 wrote: »
    Hilarious or what - must have been his banking background...

Was it the Northern bank job he as on about....not getting the right cut?

http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23danarumours

Quite a few good ones on there

Dana mentioned her lawyers and no story reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Debunker wrote: »
    I think the baggage that "goes with him" is being shoved on him. They were talking about whether or not God should be in the constitution. Then when it comes to Martin, she goes straight to the IRA thing and talks about it for a majority of the time.

That lad from the dragons den was really intent to answer that question about the constitution and she didn't even ask him. He had his hand up and everything. :(
    She only wanted to see who hadn't all their homework done!
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Partitionist is the new West Brit it seems, or is it just lunatic fringe ?
    That is the language of the IRA, the same stuff sinn fein use to justify their murdering IRA mates.

Ryan Tubridy did a better job than Miriam.

• Advertisement

Gallant_JJ wrote: »

I'm a republican, I certainly don't know who killed that poor man, neither does the rest of my family.

.QUOTE]

Being a republican and a member of a terrorist organisation which killed scores of innocents under MMG's stewardship are two completely things.
    Try find a member of the Irish army who wants MMG as president and their leader and you will be searching for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Was it the Northern bank job he as on about....not getting the right cut?
    show ur colours,who ar u voting for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I thought Miriam was a disgrace, she spent her time trying to put words in McGuinness' mouth. The culmination of it was "you're a Republican you should know".

I'm a republican, I certainly don't know who killed that poor man, neither does the rest of my family.

She gave Michael D a very handy time of it too, harmless question after harmless question.
    She could hardly ask Michael D if he was a terrorist, there is a height restriction like the guards used to have and he is not known to be a man of violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

Min wrote: »
    Dana mentioned her lawyers and no story reported.

i thinking of suing dana , she led me down the garden path , i stayed up til now watching that annoying but entertaining vinny b show to hear the big story, and am very upset as it was a stunt and now i will be tired for work tomorrow and could crash my car due to lack of sleep on way to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Offalygood

Just watched the show on RTE +1 - what a disappointment. MOC is such a poor presenter, asking questions and interupting half way during the answer. Definitely biased towards MD who performed well but given easy questions.

Gay Mitchell is more Grey Mitchell reminds me of old John Major Sketch on spitting image, i'm so tired of his repetitive answers - same schpeel at every interview.

The country is well and truly fecked if this is the calibre of our future leaders.

If I were elected first thing I'd do is abolish the presidency!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

SeamusFX wrote: »
    I felt Miriam O'Callaghan was incredibly rude and unprofessional with Martin McGuinness. She has to remember she is an presenter, not a politician and she does not speak for the Irish people. Martin should have asked her if she got this gig because she's sleeping with RTE director.

Nice :rolleyes: and no doubt you couldn't care less if McGuinness actually knows murdered Private Patrick Kelly? Personally I think the more kicking McGuinness gets the better for all, and lets face it, the worst that can happen to him is that he returns up North to his well paid job as deputy 1st Minister of Northern Ireland. The victims of the PIRA only have pictures of their loved ones to clutch to, private Kelly's son included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Miriam tows RTE line,very anti MMcG, he made a comment near the end of the debate "blessed are the peace makers" whilst others were speaking over each other & she singled him out & said "you are being ironic" jibing was not her remit & was very unprofessional and only reveals RTE agenda, she also accused him of "murders" did'nt she ? or was I hearing things,...rampant bias.

.QUOTE]

Being a republican and a member of a terrorist organisation which killed scores of innocents under MMG's stewardship are two completely things.
    Try find a member of the Irish army who wants MMG as president and their leader and you will be searching for a good while.

I think you may be wide of the mark on that one.

Im not and same applies to the Gardai too

• Advertisement

Im not and same applies to the Gardai too

You can't just say that!

Advertisement