Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well I've finally done it..

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's always possible but I didn't get that impression. He was quite interested in the process that led me to his door and even phoned someone else while I was there to get a second opinion on a particular detail so I never felt like I was being fobbed off.

The main issue is there was a mistake in my research which got highlighted during our conversation and while I'm not closing this chapter just yet I do think it's time I started chasing up some of the other leads I have.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

where in the country is she from, maybe someone on here even me is from that part and can help

@goat2

I don't know where she's from because I haven't identified her yet.:confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

Ghekko wrote: »
    Just wondering is there any chance the person you spoke to could be putting you off the scent??

I actually now believe that may be the case. Recently I was having another look at what I had gathered so far and I've found that one piece of information the person gave me was completely incorrect.

Also, a photograph has turned up which adds a lot of credence to my belief that I'm pursuing the right family.

So I have an address and a letter written [though not sent] and now I'm sitting on my hands wondering what to do next all over again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hermy-

I've found going to the adoption agency involved- advising them that you have the name and details- and asking them to confirm within a tight timeframe (give them 10 days or so) after which you will contact directly- to be worthwhile. They will normally definitively tell you if you're wrong- or hum and haw- but not say anything one way or the other- if you're right.......

I'm guessing you're happy with the letter you've written and don't want to revisit writing it again- if you'd like a second opinion- I'm more than happy to help- but the ball is in your court.

If any of us can offer any help or suggestions- just ask.

Shane

• Advertisement

Thanks for the prompt reply Shane.

As you know Patrick's Guild have closed shop so I don't know if contacting them now is still an option.
    In the meantime I await the handover of files to Tusla which was to be completed earlier this year but I'm told that legal issues are holding things up.

I've applied for my non-identifying info from AAI but nothing back from them yet.

The letter will be rewritten plenty more times as I slowly get my head around what exactly it is I want to say but I'd appreciate your opinion on it before it goes in the post.

For now I'm content to sit and wait as I'm still dealing with the few new bits of the puzzle that have come to light in the past month.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I sent that letter a while back but it turns out I had the wrong person after all.
    Still, she couldn't have been nicer about it all and her reply was very supportive of what I'm attempting to do.

In the meantime AAI wrote me back with my non-identifying info which has provided me with my mothers county of origin.
    So I'm back on the trail, in the right location this time, and biding my time till I figure how to crack this egg.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Stick with it. The puzzle will be completed in time! I am amazed at how it all came together for dh's search.

Glad to read that Ghekko.

Genealogy Forum Mod

My search is over.
    I've recently made contact with a sibling and a new chapter begins.

Thanks everyone for your help and best of luck to those still searching.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Aw Hermy that is fantastic news. I'm so delighted for you. I truly hope it works out positively for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Journeys end

Delighted for you hermy! Every good wish in the future with your sibling.journeys end

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pat.90

Congratulations Hermy, it really goes without saying but I'll say it anyway, enjoy this new chapter its wonderful news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 xmas fairy

hi im looking to meet sinead born 1977 ....i found out about your exsistance in august .....im your older sibling ....im not sure if you were christened sinead or that is your name now ....i believe you are eager to meet me and me you ..

How do you know you're my older sibling?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hermy wrote: »
    How do you know you're my older sibling?

Ah now, Sinead.......

Hermy- I get what you're saying.

xmas fairy- I'd strongly suggest you download the Adoption Ireland Traceguides here and follow the steps outlined in the 'sibling' document for suggestions on how to trace your sister.

Keep in mind- in 1977- there were almost a thousand girls adopted in Ireland (and a similar number of boys). Sinead was (and continues to be) a very popular name. Even if you got a Sinead who was adopted in 1977- you'd still have to make sure you had the right Sinead- its ridiculously easy to match the wrong person (most of us here have done so during our searches).

The docs I've listed to are a little out of date- for example the research room is now in the old social welfare office on Werbaurgh Street, and the fees listed have been revised etc.

If you've any questions at all- please don't hesitate to ask for help or guidance here.

Best wishes!

On rereading the post I wonder now whether it is actually addressed to me or rather to Sinead whoever or wherever she may be.

Either way xmas fairy if you need any help please don't hesitate to post again and we'll try to assist.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hermy wrote: »
    Terrible that strangers may have that access while those who need it most are denied.
    I think that is so unfair that the person that should know first is the last to find out, it is his/her life, and serious to them, their very foundation

Advertisement