Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question Re RIAM Grade Exams

Options
  • 12-10-2011 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

OK, my daughter has got to G1 on the piano. We used to send her to a local school of music who put her in for exams every year or so in the RIAM on Westland Row (Dublin 2). This was pricey and we have had to cut back on this on financial grounds.

We are trying to keep her interest up and we have set her up with a local student who is at G7 on piano. She charges significantly less however, as I understand, it she cannot put her through for the RIAM G2 exams as she is apparently not qualified to.

My question is why is this so? Can you not just rock up the the RIAM, pay your exam fee and let them decide whether you are good enough to get your grade based on merit. To use a term from industrial relations, is this an example of a closed shop??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Your daughter's teacher is mistaken - anyone can enter any student for an exam. It's generally not advisable for a teacher to have fewer than four grades "above" their student, but this is just a guideline that's generally given out to young musicians who are starting to teach.

If you were hoping for your daughter to do her exam in December, then I'm afraid the argument is really just academic anyway, as the deadline for exam entries passed last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

That clarifies the position for us The Mad Hatter. Maybe she got the wrong end of the stick. Info re: being four grades above is helpful too.

We weren't working towards December exams so that's not an issue for us. Will probaby aim towards summer 2012.

Cheers again, appreciate your time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

garbanzo wrote: »
    OK, my daughter has got to G1 on the piano. We used to send her to a local school of music who put her in for exams every year or so in the RIAM on Westland Row (Dublin 2). This was pricey and we have had to cut back on this on financial grounds.

We are trying to keep her interest up and we have set her up with a local student who is at G7 on piano. She charges significantly less however, as I understand, it she cannot put her through for the RIAM G2 exams as she is apparently not qualified to.

My question is why is this so? Can you not just rock up the the RIAM, pay your exam fee and let them decide whether you are good enough to get your grade based on merit. To use a term from industrial relations, is this an example of a closed shop??

I wouldn't say it's a closed shop really but generally I'd be concerned that the teacher is still at grade level. It's not usually an indication of much in the teaching department and their technique doesn't necessarily have to be all that great.

What I mean is that they could have bad habits that they'd then pass on to your daughter which is no good thing. It's not absolutely vital for a teacher to have a teaching diploma if they're a very experienced, technically accomplished player themselves. I'd ask around a bit more first, OP.

Advertisement