Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hoping to re-train at 31...

Options
  • 12-10-2011 10:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

I left school in '98 with a Leaving Cert and went straight into an apprenticeship in motor mechanics and have been in the motor trade ever since.
    I have never had a passion for it to be honest altought I did enjoy aspects of it but I have known for a long time that it isn't for me.

I have always had an interest in what makes people tick. I read people quite well and can nearly always tell if someone is lying or hiding something.
    Psychology, therapy, counseling etc. are fields I'm thinking about. I not sure how realistic my hopes are.
    Are there courses or the like in these fields for someone like me?

To be honest, I have recently been quite down when I think about my future. I'm only too aware of how short life is and I really don't want to hate what I do for a living.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Hi there,

sounds like you're ready for a change :)

It's good that you've an idea of an area you're interested in, not everyone knows exactly what they'd like to change to. Though knowing when people are lying sounds like a skill for a guard!!!! Which does call for a good bit of psychology and reading people :)

if you know what area you're interested in, it's just about finding what course will suit you, and which specific area. Psychology generally is quite a competitive field, and so it's important to know which bit you might be interested in when you've finished your course etc., for example, some people go into research, some into clinical pyshcology/therapy, and some even into forensics.

When you say someone like you, do you mean someone who's been working in an unrelated field? If so, then yes! Qualification for any course would be based on mature student status/interest/ability to pay [:)], not previous experience, altho that would be beneficial. so it comes down to things like would you like to study full or part-time? Do a degree? or a diploma to get a taster?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Firstly, I would like to say fair play to you for taking the first steps to your new life! It can be a very daunting experience but a very very worthwhile one. I am 33 and a single mother to two children and have just returned to college. I am currently doing an Access course but next year I will hopefully start into a 3 or 4 year degree. It will be the best thing you have ever done. :)

Secondly, maybe you could think about seeing a career guidance counsellor. Or it may be an option to talk to the guidance counsellor in the college you are thinking of attending so you can get an idea of what each course involves.

Best of luck to you. As Mr. Obama would say; is feidir linn :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

Feu wrote: »
    Hi there,

sounds like you're ready for a change :)

It's good that you've an idea of an area you're interested in, not everyone knows exactly what they'd like to change to. Though knowing when people are lying sounds like a skill for a guard!!!! Which does call for a good bit of psychology and reading people :)

if you know what area you're interested in, it's just about finding what course will suit you, and which specific area. Psychology generally is quite a competitive field, and so it's important to know which bit you might be interested in when you've finished your course etc., for example, some people go into research, some into clinical pyshcology/therapy, and some even into forensics.

When you say someone like you, do you mean someone who's been working in an unrelated field? If so, then yes! Qualification for any course would be based on mature student status/interest/ability to pay [:)], not previous experience, altho that would be beneficial. so it comes down to things like would you like to study full or part-time? Do a degree? or a diploma to get a taster?

thanks for the reply.
    funnily enough when I was growing up I always wanted to be a motorcycle guard!! Having read a few different peoples experience of trying to get into the guards I'm not sure if I have enough years left in me to go through the process!
    When I said 'someone like me' I also meant someone with only a Leaving Cert(and very few points).
    Unfortunately a part time or night time course would be all I could manage as a mortgage and a new arrival on the way mean I need the money from my current job.

I really don't have an exact fiel/course in mind. I may well end up doing something completely different. All I know is I have to change something.....

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

Syllabus wrote: »
    I left school in '98 with a Leaving Cert and went straight into an apprenticeship in motor mechanics and have been in the motor trade ever since.
    I have never had a passion for it to be honest altought I did enjoy aspects of it but I have known for a long time that it isn't for me.

I have always had an interest in what makes people tick. I read people quite well and can nearly always tell if someone is lying or hiding something.
    Psychology, therapy, counseling etc. are fields I'm thinking about. I not sure how realistic my hopes are.
    Are there courses or the like in these fields for someone like me?

To be honest, I have recently been quite down when I think about my future. I'm only too aware of how short life is and I really don't want to hate what I do for a living.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    I wish you good luck. A friend of mine did an apprenticeship as a cabinetmaker and when he was out of his time and fully quilified. He went back to do his leaving cert and then went to college to become a psychologist. Now he is a very successful psychologist in the north. Go for it. Its a long journey, but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Do it. I'm a similar age to you and am back in full time education this year. It's a little daunting to give up work and go back, but I know I have great career prospects now and I'll love what I'll be qualifying for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

If you want it go for it. I was 27 and didn't even have a inter cert when I wnet to college. I did my BA and MA, finished the MA in 02. I'm just after starting a MSc this year. I trained as a psychotherapist, but I know lots of people who trained as psychologists at your age.

It depends on which area you end up in, but for clinical work it can be better to be a bit older; you have a bit more life experience. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Go for it, you might surprise yourself....I,m just after starting part time in UCD and I,m 42..and I,ve never paid so much attention to anything in my life as this course.

Advertisement